Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 07:39 AM

5,642 posts, read 15,705,582 times

Advertisements

So what do you guys think of a short cruise from Bellingham (Washington) to some point in Alaska and then from there take an RV for some sightseeing in various parts of Alaska.

If I do this, what should be the RV points of interest? Also, where should the Cruise touch down?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2008, 08:28 AM

7,084 posts, read 14,855,038 times
One week huh? Thats about the equivalent of spending 2 days discovering all of Texas, Alaska is about 3 times the size of texas, if Alaska were split in half, Texas would be the third largest state. Lets see...... a week,.... Seward, the Sea Life Center and the Kenai Fjords tour, Girdwood and a meal at Alyeska (sp) , Potters Marsh, and the museums in Anchorage, you might even have time for a fly-by of Denali. We took two weeks and never made it to Fairbanks. But still,.... A week in Alaska would still be worth the trip! Oh yeah, driving around is the only real way to go. On the ships when you arrive someplace, so do 250 other people so the shopkeepers don't have any time to talk at any length to any of the transphibians in the pod. You could also spend two days taking the train to Talkeetna, spending the night, then riding the train back to Anchorage.

Old 01-14-2008, 08:33 AM

Thanks Dusty. Yes, it now looks like 2 weeks should be ideal. NOw I just need to convince my folks not to stay on the cruise the whole time (older people like that).

Old 01-14-2008, 01:13 PM

214 posts, read 270,460 times
Having spent June in Lawton Oklahoma your in for a treat weather wise. I gotta tell you, I was not impressed at all with the princess lodges and cruises, I found it to be one big rip off. Accomidations sucked, food sucked and was way over priced. They heard you in with a group of other tourist and take you where they want you to go, on a set schedule.

You want to see alaska at its finest my suggestion would be come to Anchorage. from anchoarge you can rent a car, driving here is not hard, drive the turnagain arm, see all the dull sheep, moose and all the migratory birds at potters marsh. You can still take trail tours from anchoage if you wish, they are cheaper and you see just as much if not more. Along turnagain arm, this will lead you to gridwood where you can see some of most beautiful scenery alaska has to offer, the borg wave, the cost its self through there has many places to stop and admire the water falls, the hiking trails, pan for gold at Indian Trail Head, watch for eagles, or beluga or dolphins, the alaska wildlife conservation center (Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center ) is worth seeing, then detour to whitter tunnel and see the glaciers.
Drive down the Kenai Peninsula

The American and Bald Eagles Nest all up and down the cliffs, its a sight to behold to see eagle swarm like they do there. Makes for amazing photogaphy, In june babies will be hatching and should be visible

Ninilchik is a nice place to explore there is the Russian Orthodox Church which is amazing to see. You can see Mt Redoubt and Mt Augustine, There is Volcano Observatory to pull off of and enjoy the view, its on the way into Homer and let me tell you, its one of the most beautiful things I have seen here.

Homer is less then a hour away and its so worth the drive. You must visit the Ocean and Islands Visitor Center, touring the Pratt Museum, strolling along the Homer Spit beach. Otters and Sea Lions just swarm the coat there at times, and once again. Eagles everywhere. Its beyond words!

From Anchorgae to Homer is about 4 hours, but driving it you never know what you will see, cause the wildlife don't go by schedules and this is how I get my best photography.

From anchorage you can also drive to wolf city USA, the Musk Ox farm in Palmer, There is the reindeer farm in Butt, all on the same path. Take a tour to Hatchers Pass. All these things are fairly priced, easy paced, and lets you see alaska at your pase.

Buy The Milepost, its chalked full of other things to see and do.

If you want to see denali at its best this would be my recommadition (Denali National Park Tour)
Here you can experience the whole 95 mile road. On alot of the princess tours they only take you in on a bus 15 miles I think it was, your not going to see much. Sometimes you get lucky and do but mostly you might see dull sheep, maybe a moose.

In relation to my work as a photographer I was granted permission to drive the 95 miles in my own vechical and it was a wonderful experience. The roads are so narrow in some places you wonder how your going to pass another car if you meet. You are up so high and can see for miles and miles.

If you do decide to take any flight tours, be sure to check out the pilots credentials, there is so many pilots here most are ligit but flight time is important when your flying over the mountains.

Last edited by alaskarain; 01-14-2008 at 01:37 PM..

Old 01-14-2008, 01:23 PM

17,833 posts, read 33,107,768 times
We just got back from a cruise in sept we left out of Seward and ended up in Vancouver.
While the cruise was fine and we had the chance to meet a fellow CD person on one of our stops (this was great fun)
we decided that our next trip up would be a land trip

as rance and a couple others have suggested the RV thing.

We spent 1 1/2 days with rance and saw so much beauty that we were tempted to skip the trip and rent a RV

just a side note about the shops while we were on a Caribbean cruise the ship folks kept saying "this is the place to buy Tanzinite "
Imagine my surprise while on the Alaska cruise they claimed that Alaska was the place to buy the Tanzinite hmmmm lol

Old 01-14-2008, 09:16 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,109,972 times
At times living here all my life, I often wonder why people come here. It is nice to see all the scenery. After a while I get sick of rv's and rental cars hogging up the roads. I'm for touring, just stay around the speed limit and use pull outs and all will be fine.

Old 01-14-2008, 09:19 PM

I also do a opposite touring, I drive down to the states and look at our great country. I drove my parents down in August and took them to six north western states. They had a good time and it was their first time to Idaho, Montana, North Dakota, South Dakota, Wyoming and it was also their first time driving through Washington state. We're heading south again in April, can't wait. I have a brother in Montana, we plan on doing a bit more state touring, too.

Old 01-14-2008, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warptman View Post
At times living here all my life, I often wonder why people come here.
The same reason you come down to the lower 48 It clears the mind, lifts up your spirits and gives you a break from your own comfortable environment (in my case, vacation stress can be worse).

Come on down to Texas for a bit. We'll treat you right.

Old 01-14-2008, 09:32 PM

lol...one of my relatives lives in Austin, I've told her that one day I'll come and visit. You never know. I heard April is start of tornado season. Is it as bad as it is on tv? Seen the storm chasers all over tornado alley.

Old 01-14-2008, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warptman View Post
lol...one of my relatives lives in Austin, I've told her that one day I'll come and visit. You never know. I heard April is start of tornado season. Is it as bad as it is on tv? Seen the storm chasers all over tornado alley.
Great! Austin is probably the most popular city in Texas--beautiful area that is the live music capital of the world (blues, jazz, etc). Also home to one of the popular burger chains (http://www.whataburger.com/index.php - broken link) started by an Alaskan bush pilot in the 1950s.

Just make sure you don't come down during the summer...too hot then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska