Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2015, 01:20 AM

4,248 posts, read 4,159,642 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worryworryworry View Post
How can you guys in Anchorage, Fairbanks and BARROW live in a place that has 9 months winter and a summer that the hottest days are 75ish degrees.

I don't understand .
I live in a place where the yearly high is in the low 100s. The though of the yearly high being 75 degrees sounds VERY appealing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by warptman View Post
How do you live in weather that's in the 90's with 100% humidity? We don't understand that either.
The 90s aren't bad in dry climates, but when the humidity is high, even 80 degrees is miserable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2015, 02:19 AM

1,753 posts, read 2,902,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elcajones View Post
Why Duncan? Who's from Duncan? My great grandparents went from duncan to San diego in the dust bowl. My personal history catches my attention quick lol.
I spent many years in Duncan, off and on growing up and after I became an adult. One of my kids was born there. I moved from there to here (outside of Fairbanks).

Old 04-26-2015, 05:03 AM

1,220 posts, read 1,594,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stimestar View Post
I spent many years in Duncan, off and on growing up and after I became an adult. One of my kids was born there. I moved from there to here (outside of Fairbanks).
I am related to many people from there. Ron Howard is one. Anyone with the barker or Beckenholdt surnames out there I guess are extended family.

Old 04-26-2015, 06:30 AM

687 posts, read 915,276 times
Anchorage is warmer than Minneapolis during the autumn and winter months.

Old 04-26-2015, 07:55 AM

2,136 posts, read 2,311,574 times
Quote:
Anchorage is warmer than Minneapolis during the autumn and winter months.
Not true. Unless you want to compare Juneau to International Falls, perhaps?

Climate Alaska - temperature, rainfall and average

Climate Minnesota - temperature, rainfall and average

Climate Fairbanks - Alaska and Weather averages Fairbanks

Climate International Falls - Minnesota and Weather averages International Falls

Climate Juneau - Alaska and Weather averages Juneau

There may be a day or two, here and there where that is the case but, typically and on average not even close, really. Especially when one considers that Fairbanks is not the coldest place in Alaska, merely the largest town often referred to for comparison, additionally, Alaska is HUGE and is as diverse as it is large.

Old 04-26-2015, 08:36 AM

2,646 posts, read 1,845,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
What? Twenty hours of darkness in southeast Alaska during the winter? I lived there for years and didn't experience that. It gets awfully gloomy during the winter, but there's more than four hours of light even during the worst of winter.
Oh, maybe it was ONLY 18 hours of darkness; dusk/dawn...our children were very young and so was I....sure seemed dark to me. Of course, the summer daylight was non-stop. Still, have great memories of our adventure in Alaska. The people are great, too!! When I hit that lotto, I am going back; yes I am!!!

Old 04-26-2015, 08:45 AM

6,131 posts, read 7,984,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveklein View Post
Wrong. For it to be in the 90s and 100% humidity, the dewpoint would also have to be in the 90s. This is never the case.

Is it oppressively humid in Florida? At times, yes. But you are using hyperbole which is no better than me asking why would you want to live in a place that is 100 below zero when it has in fact never been that cold in Alaska.
Not even during the daily thunderstorms? Seems to me I recall this being the case when I've been there.

Old 04-26-2015, 09:53 AM

2,383 posts, read 3,102,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stimestar View Post
It was 59 in my car today and so I had to turn on the A/C. Hahhaha.
I was just going to mention that... It was in the low 50s in Fox yesterday morning and I had the A/C on in my truck. I was on the phone with someone and said, "Holy cow dude, it's 52-degrees!! I feel like I'm going to burst into flames!"

Old 04-26-2015, 10:06 AM

2,383 posts, read 3,102,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haolejohn View Post
You've never been to the southeast have you?
I think he is a virtual traveler. Hence the misinformation and know it all attitude.

And, I agree with you... the guy has surely never been to Pensacola or Orlando. I lived in Pensacola for the six longest summers of my life, followed by an even longer 4 months in Orlando. Those are two hot SOBs, particularly for someone who thinks they might burst into flames when the temperature rises above 52*F.

Old 04-26-2015, 10:26 AM

2,136 posts, read 2,311,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riceme View Post
I think he is a virtual traveler. Hence the misinformation and know it all attitude.

And, I agree with you... the guy has surely never been to Pensacola or Orlando. I lived in Pensacola for the six longest summers of my life, followed by an even longer 4 months in Orlando. Those are two hot SOBs, particularly for someone who thinks they might burst into flames when the temperature rises above 52*F.
I visited Minneapolis, MN years ago to meet my soon to be at the time, wife's family. We were there for two weeks, the first week the temps were high 90's F with high 90's humidity, heat index was 106F to 110F, it was brutal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska