Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2009, 12:27 AM

6,424 posts, read 13,165,930 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grannysroost View Post
..kind of like eating Willy the whale or Flipper....
Flipper? Yikes, I haven't seen that in years..opps, showing my age now

Old 01-01-2009, 12:29 AM

351 posts, read 681,698 times
I was a little surprised that Point Hope could support a population of 10000 in the mid 1800's.

My research seems to indicate a considerably smaller population. I'm sure there should be a lot of graves there as I believe the Native Alaskans treated their dead with much respect.

I found that the caribou population in the 1800's was larger than today, but a population of 10000 people is hugh - it would take a tremendous amount of resources to support that many people. I could see the Natives over harvesting in such a situation - something I don't think they would do.

Below are a few references I have found, I've summarized the main points - these are my words not quotes - please refer to the cited references.

Social Life in Northwest Alaska By Ernest S. Burch, Jr.
in mid 1800's estimated population of point hope 1000-1200

Bulletin - United States Geological Survey By Geological Survey pub 1905
pg 627 point Hope pop 276 in 1880

From other research it seems that Point Hope was particularly affected by the introduction of alcohol. Such to the extent that the villagers failed to properly prepare for winter and many died of starvation.
Report of the Cruise of the U.S. Revenue Cutter Bear
Government Printing Office 1899

I did find references to 10000 whales annually passing by Point Hope in the mid 1800's
The report from the US Cutter Bear is interesting, as they basically say the introduction of alcohol by the white man caused the problems. Yes, the whalers took many whales which would have a negative impact on the population. But some references indicate that Caribou was an extremely important element in the diet in the 1800's, not just whales.

this Majik guy is pretty interesting - you've got to check other sites - not just majikimaje.com and city-data. There's a lot out there. All the exact same stuff, over and over again.

Hey you guys don't do anything until I get back.

Cheers,
Brian

Old 01-01-2009, 12:38 AM

3,539 posts, read 7,605,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingowl View Post
Well I just gave Floyd a call. Got his voicemail. Left a message asking if he was alright & to check in at the chat thread.
Errr, folks... lets not get over excited about nothing in particular. There are several things to keep in mind when commenting on such things.

First is the mental health issue, which should be obvious. Does public discussion help or hinder anybody's situation? A close look at what causes outburst (the color green is the operative factor) would suggest that it doesn't help to say much of anything at all.

Second, last week might have been the time, but today is not.

There are other points that could be considered, but discussing it in public has to be related to the "first" item above...

(Incidentally, what is in that one post isn't the half of it! If it is ever appropriate, I'll tell the whole story here for the entertainment value. But right now all it would do is cause stress for several people, most of whom are not at fault, and one of whom has no ability to deal with it.)

Old 01-01-2009, 12:58 AM

Oh, I totally forgot. Happy New Year all.

It was very quiet here, had dinner - it was very good, went to a chinese buffet.

There was actually four of us, as one of the grandkids joined us. Hard to believe four for dinner for less than $60.00 - wow. And man was I stuffed. How can one small guy eat so much?

Floyd, when you finish your nap, be sure to get some great fireworks pics. I talked with Mrs Kim and wished her a Happy New Year.

My laptop has been a real pain all day, I think I have finally got it all fixed up.

It was funny this evening, lots of the people in the restaurant thought I must be crazy when I went out to smoke in the wind w/o a jacket, just a sweater and cap (well I did have on pants of course), It was about 18 above with a 10-15 wind. but after Barrow that was actually kind of comfortable.
I'm beginning to wonder if I will be able to go back to Hawaii to visit - the heat may be unbearable.

BTW - the State of Hawaii has verified Obama's birth. I think Majik may want to take down the stuff on his sites about that - kind of makes him look a bit looney at this point.

It seems Ole Floyd did meet up with the couple from Taiwan. You've gotta admire someone who spends his time helping others (and not just tourists) rather than helping himself.

Am I setting myself up or what. Live for adventure.
Brian

Old 01-01-2009, 01:08 AM

15,603 posts, read 39,654,137 times
Heck...I reckon I could get a lawyer and get his site shut down for publically calling me a liar. I have no idea what thats about. But he ain't worth the time it would take to make a phone call. And I've been called worse in better places than some internet blog.

Happy New Year Majik...where ever you are. The rest of you as well.

Old 01-01-2009, 01:38 AM

Rance,

I've seen a whole bunch of the pics from Majik they are very nice. He's got a good eye for composition and good control of the camera. But I don't know anything. I like your pics too. LOL.

I hope you get some good lights up there. I think I was very lucky to see two very nice displays in the 9 days I was in Barrow, even had very clear skies those nights.

It's nice and clear here now in Mass, about 3 degrees above maybe a 2-3 mph wind now. Was just out for a smoke and was looking at the sky. I really have to get some place where there is no traffic noise.

I still haven't been able to get out to play in the snow, it's nice and fresh but too dry for snowmen and snowballs. Staying up to wish folks in Hawaii a happy new year, but it seems when I call they're not home. I might give up and get to sleep. Darn these weird flights and hours, and now I'm dealing with a 4 hour time diffrerence between AK and Mass. It's 2:30am here but it feels like 10:30pm. Probably by the time I adjust to here, I'll be back in Ak and will need to adjust again. I've either got to make my trips shorter or longer to make the adjustment worthwhile. Longer would be nice, but I'd hate to wear out my welcome.

I assume since you just came back from Sweden that your time is all messed up too. It's always been easier when I went between Hi and Ca, didn't notice the time difference at all.

Everyone's asleep, the house is quite, my laptop is working great....what to do... what to do...
Oh, oh, the space bar on my laptop is making a sqeaking noise, I might have accidently put some cookie crumbs in there. Hmmm, that might keep me busy for a bit.

Happy New Year!

Brian

Old 01-01-2009, 01:40 AM

3,539 posts, read 7,605,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkyhi View Post
It seems Ole Floyd did meet up with the couple from Taiwan.
I was out at the Point again today, except Sam is on vacation and this one was with Pete, the guy who was doing other things (taking your money, I think) when you were there. It was a blast! This is a return trip for a fellow who came here 6 years ago. He brought the cutest lady you ever did see with him too! Both of them are deaf, so I and they guy sat in back, exchanging a yellow pad that we scribbled on, and Pete and the lady sat in front, doing the same, and the two of them jabbered away in sign.

I hadn't been back from that for 3 minutes when Mrs. Kim called about Sabrina. This is just another "wow" type experience. I'm not going to say anything here that she isn't saying, so I can't describe why it was really neat to spend some time with her and the colleague she is traveling with. But either of them alone would have been fascinating, and the two together were just astounding.

We're going to the fireworks and the games afterwards (which tonight will be 24 hours of games... ending at midnight the following day. (Brian I'll get around to sending you the info you need, and some pictures for family... but I'm going to need some sleep here somewhere.)
Quote:
Am I setting myself up or what. Live for adventure.
Brian
Ha ha ha. Folks, you just can't imagine how much of a setup it is for Brian. But when he gets back we have promised him some actually cold weather, so that I can take pictures of him blowing bubbles...

Old 01-01-2009, 01:47 AM

11,839 posts, read 28,797,729 times
I'll try calling you another time Floyd.

Old 01-01-2009, 01:49 AM

15,603 posts, read 39,654,137 times
Quote:
I assume since you just came back from Sweden that your time is all messed up too.
Usually...going from here to there is no problem at all. Coming back has taken 2 or 3 days to re-adjust to the 10 hour time diff. This time coming home it went much better for some reason. Maybe because I sat up all night at the airport in Stockholm, and only got a few hours sleep in the 21 hours of flying home. I did have to pull over twice and walk around a bit driving home the 2 1/2 hours from Anchorage. By the time I pulled into the driveway I was flat worn out.

Old 01-01-2009, 01:54 AM

8,685 posts, read 16,752,567 times
Quote:
Rance,

I've seen a whole bunch of the pics from Majik they are very nice. He's got a good eye for composition and good control of the camera. But I don't know anything. I like your pics too. LOL.

I hope you get some good lights up there. I think I was very lucky to see two very nice displays in the 9 days I was in Barrow, even had very clear skies those nights.

It's nice and clear here now in Mass, about 3 degrees above maybe a 2-3 mph wind now. Was just out for a smoke and was looking at the sky. I really have to get some place where there is no traffic noise.

I still haven't been able to get out to play in the snow, it's nice and fresh but too dry for snowmen and snowballs. Staying up to wish folks in Hawaii a happy new year, but it seems when I call they're not home. I might give up and get to sleep. Darn these weird flights and hours, and now I'm dealing with a 4 hour time diffrerence between AK and Mass. It's 2:30am here but it feels like 10:30pm. Probably by the time I adjust to here, I'll be back in Ak and will need to adjust again. I've either got to make my trips shorter or longer to make the adjustment worthwhile. Longer would be nice, but I'd hate to wear out my welcome.

I assume since you just came back from Sweden that your time is all messed up too. It's always been easier when I went between Hi and Ca, didn't notice the time difference at all.

Everyone's asleep, the house is quite, my laptop is working great....what to do... what to do...
Oh, oh, the space bar on my laptop is making a sqeaking noise, I might have accidently put some cookie crumbs in there. Hmmm, that might keep me busy for a bit.

Happy New Year!

Brian
Sounds like good fun....pants good thing...hope you have a good one and day tomorrow...crumbs keyboard...I regularly shake upside down, bang...get out shop vac and ....., then for the liquid mistakes with this place, I always have a spare dried out....if anyone saw mine right nowscary....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska