Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2009, 01:30 PM

1,329 posts, read 2,942,453 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by warptman View Post
My friend Martin sent me this link to a story my brother Matt wrote...

Rural Development in Alaska: The rise and fall of delta life
Excellent Warpt, lot of interesting read here, thanks for sharing!

Old 02-10-2009, 03:03 PM

351 posts, read 685,804 times
Warpt,

Ditto what lyoness said.

The story evokes some vivid and sometimes disburbing imagery.

I see some parallels in American life also, we have become so dependent on the external and not enough on ourselves. We are losing the independent American spirit and it saddens me to see this type of thing occur.

Thanks for a good read.

Old 02-10-2009, 03:14 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,109,972 times
Thank my brother! He's the talented one. I'm the photographer of the family!

Old 02-10-2009, 05:48 PM

905 posts, read 2,400,123 times
Floyd, I'd have to agree that the liquor industry certainly has something to do with marijuana being illegal. I think big pharma also has a say in it is all. It's so messed up the way this country runs though on some issues. Freedoms? What freedoms?

Old 02-10-2009, 11:16 PM

3,110 posts, read 5,383,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd_Davidson View Post
I do disagree with you on one single point: It appears to me the reason marijuana is illegal can almost exclusively be laid in the lap of the liquor industry.
Interesting articles about how it all started here:
Harry J. Anslinger: Information from Answers.com
and here:
William Randolph Hearst: Biography from Answers.com

in part the second one says (about 20 paragraphs down -- if you can, do a page search on hemp- easier)
Hearst also sympathized with Harry J. Anslinger in his war against marijuana. Jack Herer and others argue that Hearst's paper empire (he owned hundreds of acres of timber forests and a vast number of paper mills designed to manufacture paper from wood pulp) in the early 1930s was threatened by hemp, which: 1) like wood pulp, could also be used to manufacture paper[9] and 2) also had an advantage over wood pulp, because it could be regrown yearly as well.[9] Between 1936 and 1937, Hearst associated marijuana with hemp in his newspapers[10] and published many of the stories that Anslinger fabricated.[10] Hearst would indeed play a major part in aiding the anti-marijuana movement, which eventually led to its prohibition in the Marihuana Tax Act of 1937,[11] a law which also outlawed hemp.

Old 02-11-2009, 03:56 AM

3,539 posts, read 7,648,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warptman View Post
Thank my brother! He's the talented one. I'm the photographer of the family!
Your brother is indeed fascinating. I poked around at some of the links, and was impressed. (Of course I'm still biased towards
a good photographer.)

However, unlike others who have responded, the article that you cited was not what I call impressive at all (and just in case others missed it, it was written in 2006, and not by Warpt's brother).

That is exactly the sort of thing which does not help a bit. It was abjectly unrealistic in many ways, but woven into the fabrication were hot points to touch buttons and ring bells related to current events with the intentiion of making a good story that sways in the unreal direction when considering the real parts. (In other words, it was extremely well written propaganda!) Concepts like IHS charging for services (I get a bill when I use IHS facilities) are are designed to peak the ears of those who have some familiarity, but not enough. Indian health is Federal Law, initiated by treaties, and supported by the US Constitution. Before funding for IHS is down to zero, the entire Federal government would be nearly disolved. Not that it is impossible, but by the time that scenario comes around the entire Lower-48 will be fully engulfed in exactly the same pickle that Bush Alaska is facing!

What we need to hear are REALISTIC combinations of ideas and valid solutions. Condemning all of Bush Alaska to Hell isn't productive. But budget reforms in the Alaska Legislature would be. For example, we've seen where there is a great deal of excitement stirred up about a couple of villages, and people are passing information around on how to send boxes of food or whatever. That helps. But it helps exactly two villages. There are a couple hundred other villages, and they are virtually all in same shape. We don't see any oil companies suffering though...

Maybe State government needs a new priority list? Alaskans first...

Old 02-11-2009, 12:55 PM

7,498 posts, read 5,745,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rance View Post
Floyd might I suggest the Swedish Snus "General" loose. A finely ground tobacco with a smokey flavour. Puts Copenhagen to shame.
I just don't remember being offered a can of that at chow one evening..

Old 02-11-2009, 03:40 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,812,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossfire600 View Post
I just don't remember being offered a can of that at chow one evening..
I'll bring you back a can from Sweden!

I'm moving pretty slow today. I invented a drink called the UniBomber last night. Good stuff. Malibou Rum, Peach Schnapps, Crown Royal, and RockStar.

Old 02-11-2009, 03:53 PM

3,774 posts, read 11,224,415 times
WOW! Sounds like a rush with alcohol. Like a Long Island Ice Tea with a kick.

Old 02-11-2009, 04:14 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,812,105 times
It tasted good but definately has a kick. Kinda like getting kicked in the head by a mule!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska