Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2015, 01:47 PM

1,931 posts, read 2,168,614 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollygee View Post
Can you go to Seattle with family and take a ride on the Alaska marine highway? (I think that is what the ferry system is called. We lived in Wrangell, Alaska many years ago, 1960 and on, we did not have the luxury of the ferry system. Only way to Wrangell at that time was sea plane....(that was not too shabby); and of course by ship/boat. Anyway, see if you can experience the southeastern coast; you would get a good feel of Alaska and the journey will be wonderful and beautiful!!
I'd agree with this but I also disagree. Southeast Alaska is unique to itself. Just like interior or western or...you know what I mean, which is why I agree.
I have a lot of friends that have only been on the road while on vacation. They think they know what alaska is like. I haven't even started to know what Alaska is like and I've spent three years living in a native village.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2015, 01:54 PM

1,931 posts, read 2,168,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregon33 View Post
I am performing a class project and I am looking for people who are from the lower 48 and Hawaii who have moved to Alaska. None of the answers to the questions will be used for anything but the project and if you wish to answer these questions privately you can pm me.

Which state did you previously live in?
For those that only wish to answer this there is the straw poll.
Straw Poll
Straw Poll

What drew you to Alaska?

Looking back on your decision, would you consider it to be the right or wrong choice? An explanation is helpful.

What was your previous job, current?

Not all questions need to be answered and all are greatly appreciated.
What drew us to Alaska? Possibly the insects. I've always wanted to live here. Something about Alaska called me. The wildlife. The scenery. Off grid? Not really. Though I've wanted to live off grid and wasilla get at land down south, reality is that here it would be a little more challenging than I'm ready for. Wife hated cold weather but I bought her good clothes. And there happened to be jobs for both of us. Another reason I wanted to move to Alaska was to make a difference. I read a sports illustrated article about the football team in barrow. I'm not a coach, but the social issues that were discussed planted a seed in me.

I would say that our decision to move here was best for our Family. Wouldn't think twice about not moving Up here again.

I was a teacher down south and I still teach.

Old 04-26-2015, 11:12 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,157,521 times
A great number of people make it to Alaska with the military, myself included. In the US, Alaska has the highest number of former military members be capita.

Old 04-27-2015, 05:08 AM

195 posts, read 278,329 times
-I grew up splitting my time primarily between SW Michigan and Northern Illinois. I attended college in Southern Illinois and spent a brief two years in Texas. In Alaska, I've lived in both Bristol Bay and Juneau.

- The owner of a commercial fishing company spent winters in my college town. He and his wife had hired me to spend 10ish hours a week organizing their business stuff. At the end of the winter they invited me to travel to Alaska with them for the summer. I did and fell in love with the state.

-I would consider it a good choice. My husband and I both landed good jobs and have had a great adventure.

-Previously I just worked small, PT jobs because I was young. Now I am a teacher.

-
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska