Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2015, 03:32 PM

Location: MA/ME (the way life should not be / the way it should be)
1,266 posts, read 1,387,945 times

Advertisements

"As far as the cold...you dress in layers and buy good gear. " similar to what i always say regarding temperature. You can put on layer after layer for warmth, and even make natural fires for a low cost in cold areas, however, were its hot, you can only take off so many layers, till you cant legally be outside, and you will need to pay for AC.

So hubs, do you mean like towns around bigger communitys, like one in the lower 48 would say suburban, or do you mean something as in like 100 miles to the next town, but we got a hospiatal, airport, grocery store, and a gas station, so in essenence we are a fully functional town, just with very few people?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2015, 03:46 PM

1,004 posts, read 1,188,679 times
hub = 50 houses compared to 10 houses.

Old 05-04-2015, 03:54 PM

50 houses vs 10, on this forum people call barrow a hub, and that has more than 50 houses, i would estimate atleast 100

Old 05-04-2015, 04:08 PM

1,931 posts, read 2,169,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfhelm View Post
"As far as the cold...you dress in layers and buy good gear. " similar to what i always say regarding temperature. You can put on layer after layer for warmth, and even make natural fires for a low cost in cold areas, however, were its hot, you can only take off so many layers, till you cant legally be outside, and you will need to pay for AC.

So hubs, do you mean like towns around bigger communitys, like one in the lower 48 would say suburban, or do you mean something as in like 100 miles to the next town, but we got a hospiatal, airport, grocery store, and a gas station, so in essenence we are a fully functional town, just with very few people?
A hub is a village community that has direct flight from Anchorage.
I do like the house size idea, but there are larger villages that are not hubs. Many of those coastal villages are larger than the two hubs I have experienced the most (McGrath and Aniak).

Think Barrow, Bethel, Dillingham, etc...for hubs. Larger populations, with more conveniences.

Old 05-04-2015, 04:15 PM

Quote:
50 houses vs 10, on this forum people call barrow a hub, and that has more than 50 houses, i would estimate atleast 100
something you would need to think about is the make up of Alaska. There is the road, bush, and rural road. I would consider rural road as the suburbs.

The bush has large hubs (Barrow, Nome, Kotzebue, Dillingham, Bethel) with 2k plus people and there are small hubs (McGrath, Aniak) with less than 600 people.

The bush is remote and predominately Native. I love living in the bush, but there is a lot lacking out here. Good medical is hard to get. Housing is limited. But I wouldn't trade it for road living at all.

Old 05-04-2015, 04:31 PM

373 posts, read 482,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
I have a difficult time figuring out why anyone would want to live on the east coast.
1) Opportunities. More people = more business. So, finance, law, etc. tend to cluster
2) Urban areas that are both exciting and relatively safe. Now if you want to live in a suburb or a small town, it probably will not make sense to you.
3) Families.

Old 05-04-2015, 04:33 PM

kk, so i would look either a hub, or off a road in a ruralish area

Old 05-04-2015, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrQ2 View Post
1) Opportunities. More people = more business. So, finance, law, etc. tend to cluster
2) Urban areas that are both exciting and relatively safe. Now if you want to live in a suburb or a small town, it probably will not make sense to you.
3) Families.
not to micro-mod, but i think this is the wrong discussion, and forum area for discussing the east coast

Old 05-04-2015, 04:45 PM

Quote:
If you depend on mail, then I'd look at a hub, but before you move you may want to make sure you can get housing. My family is moving to a hub this summer and housing is very scarce. Very.

I am not sure if off road ruralish areas have mail service unless it is a village.

Old 05-04-2015, 04:46 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,711,783 times
Quote:
Why? It's expensive to live in those places, and in some, housing is nonexistent, let alone jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska