Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2008, 04:31 AM

655 posts, read 916,140 times

Advertisements

Now that we all know an imminent recession is well under way and the doom and gloomers are coming out, I'm curious as to how big an impact it will have on Alaska? What do you folks look for here over the next 3-4 years, the time most "experts" are predicting it will take to turn this mess around? Specifically two areas, jobs and housing. In my opinion we are obviously not totally immune, but I do think we are far better shielded from a huge impact then many other areas about the country.

So, what are your predictions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2008, 09:19 AM

740 posts, read 1,973,052 times
If the natural gas pipeline starts up, then no...it won't have much of an impact. The pipeline will produce thousands of jobs, which in affect will of course positively affect housing. If you want a future Alaskan job, start your welding classes now. I honestly believe that Alaska has its own economy outside of the lower 48, due to our natural resources. Of course, they won't last forever. Just my opinion of course.

Old 01-18-2008, 10:27 AM

15,603 posts, read 39,812,105 times
I'm going to do like I've always done and not worry about it either way. I'm a jack of all trades and if this job goes down the toilet I'll find something else to do. Wouldn't be the first time I've had to sell firewood for a living. I grow a garden, there are fish in the river, meat on the hoof out behind the house, and top ramen goes great with any of that. I can always do without phones or satelite tv. I'm always prepared to make adjustments in my style of living. If I have to quit paying electric and gas bills I'll resort to heating and cooking with a wood stove. I don't worry about it because I've lived it. It's really not that bad way of living.

Old 01-18-2008, 11:16 AM

2,519 posts, read 7,029,951 times
Alaska is not immune to the effects of a global economy. If anything, we are more vulnerable than we ever were. I have serious doubts that we will ever see a gas pipeline.

On the other hand, I'm like Rance. I can't really do anything about it so I don't worry about it. However, it is good to be mentally and even somewhat physically prepared. I have a barrel stove and stovepipe outside in the shed. a temporary supply of wood and a cabin I can retreat to if the economy totally stops. I'm not leaving Alaska.

Right now, there are enough things locally to keep me upbeat. I'm especially interested in Fowler Gas company. It appears they may find a significant amount of gas right here in the Mat-Su Valley. The first well this spring will tell the story.

Old 01-18-2008, 02:03 PM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,155,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rance View Post
I'm going to do like I've always done and not worry about it either way. I'm a jack of all trades and if this job goes down the toilet I'll find something else to do. Wouldn't be the first time I've had to sell firewood for a living. I grow a garden, there are fish in the river, meat on the hoof out behind the house, and top ramen goes great with any of that. I can always do without phones or satelite tv. I'm always prepared to make adjustments in my style of living. If I have to quit paying electric and gas bills I'll resort to heating and cooking with a wood stove. I don't worry about it because I've lived it. It's really not that bad way of living.
Rance, now let's be serious. You can do all that BUT could you live without CD and us???

Old 01-18-2008, 05:03 PM

No. I would have to go find a computer and check in on occasion! Actually...I'd fair pretty well with the firewood thing if I had to. And I'm never out of a job more than a week...so I really don't fear any recession. Heck I'd sling burgers and fries at McDonalds if it came down to it. *Hello sir...may I take your McFrickin order? Next! Hello Ma'am...how can I McHelp you today? You wanna supersize that? Not that you need it or anything...*

Oh yea...I could do that.

Old 01-18-2008, 06:11 PM

26 posts, read 114,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rance View Post

I envy you for that Rance. Still wishing I were there.

Old 01-18-2008, 06:19 PM

Well...reverting back to an outhouse would suck...but I've done it and would do it again if I had to. Fortunately I have a spacious bathroom, so I could install a bulk tank and 12 volt pump the water up stairs. I could have running water and a flush toilet regardless. And I have an artesian water well so I could actually still water the garden. Yeah...life won't be so bad.

Old 01-18-2008, 06:33 PM

655 posts, read 916,140 times
lol guys, I said recession, not GREAT DEPRESSION. But I do agree it is best to always...........plan for the worst, hope for the best. These posts here actually remind me a lot of why I moved to Alaska in the first place. Such a different mentality here then anywhere else.

PS. Hi to Marty, probably one of the valley's best realtors. I bought a home wih you as my agent about 12 years back or so. You were absolutely great back then, probably even better now. Hopefully this housing slow down won't hit the good agents too hard.

Old 01-18-2008, 11:56 PM

2,519 posts, read 7,029,951 times
Hi travelmate...I like to think that I haven't changed much in 12 years but the mirror and scales tell me different. I hope your house is working out for you.

My personal real estate business is going great. In fact, I'm as busy as ever, maybe busier. I would not want to see a crash like 85-87 however. I'm not sure that would be enjoyable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska