Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2015, 10:33 PM

1 posts, read 1,294 times

Advertisements

Hello!

I am so excited to be potentially moving to Alaska this fall from Minneapolis ( just finishing some final details). I've said to my friends that it's one thing to move from Minneapolis to Duluth and a whole different story moving 3,000 and some miles. That being said...there are little logistics that I could use your advice.

Right now I have a 2003 Saturn with almost 200k miles. It's not making the trip to Alaska. Or could it? I don't know. I've also heard people talk about transporting vehicles for someone in Anchorage or even transporting RVs. Would that make sense for someone doing a one way trek? Can I take rental cars through Canada?

Money is already going to be tight. I've heard some people buy a trailer and sell it once they are there. And if my car is something that can't make that journey and I sell it here and rent a car and then buy another cheap car once there?

I'm sorry if this was all mumble jumble. But I'm kind of on my own in figuring this out and this is a dream come true for me, so if you have ANY advice, let me know!

Thank you!

Last edited by abenson123; 05-07-2015 at 10:56 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2015, 10:42 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,711,783 times
*Edited because I misunderstood the OP*

Your car will probably make it up if it's in fairly decent shape. People have driven up in worse. You'll need a copy of the Milepost, and keep in mind that you should allow yourself plenty of time so that you can enjoy the drive.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 05-07-2015 at 11:03 PM..

Old 05-07-2015, 11:57 PM

3 posts, read 3,960 times
Might want to have your mechanic check it over. And besides the mandatory mile post, carry spare stuff like belts, hoses, fuel, food, good spare, etc.

Old 05-07-2015, 11:59 PM

3 posts, read 3,960 times
And there are already a ton of threads by people moving here to look thru for tips and route choices. Good luck.

Old 05-08-2015, 10:16 AM

2,795 posts, read 5,614,728 times
You won't find anyone looking to transport RVs *to* Alaska in the fall... There's some companies that do it in the spring, but you still pay for the rental. And you won't find a car rental place that will let you do a one-way rental to Alaska.
But you can do a uHaul truck one-way to Alaska. That would help you get your stuff here... It's not cheap though.
If you aren't taking the car or much stuff, you could just fly up. Unless you want to experience the drive...
My brother-in-law bought a trailer to move up. Actually, he did two trailers, two trips. Right when he got ready to sell them, Bailey's Furniture brought a bunch of the same trailers and was sellin' 'em cheap. He knew he'd lose some money on the sell, but he wound up losing a lot money. It still was a better deal than renting a uHaul for him, but not by much.

Old 05-08-2015, 11:45 AM

1,931 posts, read 2,169,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKStafford View Post
You won't find anyone looking to transport RVs *to* Alaska in the fall... There's some companies that do it in the spring, but you still pay for the rental. And you won't find a car rental place that will let you do a one-way rental to Alaska.
But you can do a uHaul truck one-way to Alaska. That would help you get your stuff here... It's not cheap though.
If you aren't taking the car or much stuff, you could just fly up. Unless you want to experience the drive...
My brother-in-law bought a trailer to move up. Actually, he did two trailers, two trips. Right when he got ready to sell them, Bailey's Furniture brought a bunch of the same trailers and was sellin' 'em cheap. He knew he'd lose some money on the sell, but he wound up losing a lot money. It still was a better deal than renting a uHaul for him, but not by much.
Interesting. You always hear about people selling trailers for more than they paid down south for them.

Old 05-08-2015, 11:48 AM

1,931 posts, read 2,169,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abenson123 View Post
Hello!

I am so excited to be potentially moving to Alaska this fall from Minneapolis ( just finishing some final details). I've said to my friends that it's one thing to move from Minneapolis to Duluth and a whole different story moving 3,000 and some miles. That being said...there are little logistics that I could use your advice.

Right now I have a 2003 Saturn with almost 200k miles. It's not making the trip to Alaska. Or could it? I don't know. I've also heard people talk about transporting vehicles for someone in Anchorage or even transporting RVs. Would that make sense for someone doing a one way trek? Can I take rental cars through Canada?

Money is already going to be tight. I've heard some people buy a trailer and sell it once they are there. And if my car is something that can't make that journey and I sell it here and rent a car and then buy another cheap car once there?

I'm sorry if this was all mumble jumble. But I'm kind of on my own in figuring this out and this is a dream come true for me, so if you have ANY advice, let me know!

Thank you!
First, where are you moving to? Road or Bush?
Reason why I ask, is a plane ticket might be a better option vs the car. If your saturn is paid for, keep it, if it is sound mechanically. There really aren't cheap cars in Alaska.

Money is tight go minimal. Where are you going to live? Will it be furnished?

Old 05-09-2015, 11:00 AM

2,383 posts, read 3,103,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haolejohn View Post
Interesting. You always hear about people selling trailers for more than they paid down south for them.
Sounds like it was a bad timing deal... if he could have held on to them and waited until Bailey's dumped their stock he probably could have made money. Or at least not lost money.

Old 05-09-2015, 11:13 AM

20,292 posts, read 37,174,791 times
There are a lot of trailers for sale for the past two years, at least around Fairbanks. Also, despite what realtors tell you, there are a lot of houses for sale in this area, and North Pole. Enclosed travel trailers (the fancy and painted ones) are also for sale all over the place. The asking price is high at the beginning, but a few months later they have to drop the price if they want to sell. I just saw two of those trailers side by side in the small lot across the silver color restaurant in North Pole.

Old 05-12-2015, 12:53 AM

7 posts, read 8,046 times
Default j o b ?

one of the greatest ways to come to Alaska for keeps is to get a job with an employer who would love to help you come here!
don't know your skill set, but really this could really dress you for success so your dreams do come true!

this is a tough place to show up without work & broke. don't want you in the lines at Bean's Café!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska