Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2015, 07:17 PM

522 posts, read 694,840 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
I wouldn't move to Alaska without a job right now unless I had a skill that was in extremely high demand or a cash stash large enough to bail me out if things didn't work out.
If you're too scared to do things they will never happen...! Of course it's risky, but if you want to move to Alaska bad enough you have to take chances.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2015, 07:21 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,711,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoanCrawford View Post
If you're too scared to do things they will never happen...! Of course it's risky, but if you want to move to Alaska bad enough you have to take chances.
You have no clue who you're talking to here. I know a little something about risk, Virginia. Foolish, uncalculated risks almost never pay off when it comes to Alaska. Believe me, it takes a lot more courage and patience to develop a solid game plan about moving to Alaska than it does to simply pack up the truck and go.

I've seen a lot of people who wanted to "move to Alaska bad enough" take chances and end up broke and stranded. The state of Alaska used to have funds allocated for helping these types get back home. I guess they got tired of footing the bill those risk-takers racked up.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 05-17-2015 at 07:48 PM..

Old 05-17-2015, 09:55 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,174,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archevy View Post
Construction I have degrees in asphalt construction I work for the state of Missouri dept of transportation I would really like to get on the Alaska hwy dept but right now I would take any decent paying job I can do most anything equipment related and work well with others and the public
That would be the DOT, which falls into State workers. The problem is that a lot of State workers, including teachers, are contemplating layoffs in the very near future. There are local pavements and grounds companies, but most of that work is done during the summer. As I mentioned before, read the thread (link) I posted to get an idea what has been happening to Alaska lately.

You would have to get inline along Alaska workers who have been here for years. Given the choice, employers are going to hire local workers first. But you have nothing to lose by applying for a job and getting it before you arrive here with a family.

Last edited by RayinAK; 05-17-2015 at 10:08 PM..

Old 05-17-2015, 09:58 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,174,791 times
Quote:
What would be scary would be a family of four moving up here without having jobs. You won't believe the number of people who get stranded up here and land at the local homeless shelters.

Old 05-17-2015, 10:05 PM

2,025 posts, read 4,175,120 times
In this economy, Alaskan employers will be filling the few openings with local residents, not recent arrivals who may of may not be suited for long term Alaska living. And $40K won't last you but at best a year, and likely much less time. Make sure you budget some to get back out again

Old 05-17-2015, 11:03 PM

1,931 posts, read 2,169,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archevy View Post
Hello

I'm trying to find the best way to get a job there in Alaska I've applied for many jobs there without much
Success any pointers or advice would be greatly appreciated. If you could share your experiences that would
Be great to thanks for your time
First, don't listen to Joan. Second you know what it is like up here. 40k is a years worth of money. Don't forget it's expensive to get here, you won't have resident status for hunting, and you will need to buy winter gear again. What areas are you looking at living? Family of 4? $1800 month in rent? Sound right? Your job market is state funded. Yeah...I lost my job this year. Luckily some school districts did better managing their funds and we found employment elsewhere in the state.

If you are going to take a risk and you have 40k saved up, keep 10k aside for emergency leaving the state funds.

I moved up here with no idea what I was getting into. I just knew we were going from one job to 2 jobs. I was lucky.

Old 05-18-2015, 04:23 AM

13 posts, read 12,809 times
Thanks for the advice guys I'm not gonna move up with out a job I'm not that big of a risk taker lol
As far as where I'm looking to live pretty much anywhere on a decent road system I just got to have faith that it will all work out for the best

Old 05-18-2015, 10:17 PM

2,383 posts, read 3,103,021 times
Quote:
That is monumentally poor advice and you are speaking out of turn. You know not of what you speak.

Old 05-19-2015, 12:01 AM

26,639 posts, read 36,711,783 times
Normally, I might agree with JoanCrawford in sort of a limited way, but right now, it's better to wait until the dust settles with the state financial situation before making major moves.

As far as being too much of a shrinking violet to take risks, I seem to recall literally lying on top of my three-year-old to keep him alive during a surprise storm out of Steamboat Bay, giving up a life that I valued to take over my family's business due to one of my parents having cancer, and giving up that to start a new career as a writer. I landed on my feet every time.

Anyway, OP, you sound like you have a good head on your shoulders. Sounds like you already know that moving to Alaska is worth doing right instead of acting like an idiot.

Old 05-19-2015, 05:16 AM

195 posts, read 278,467 times
OP- I think it is good that you aren't interested in moving without a job. It's one thing to be a 22yr old who moves without a job, but if you have a family it's much different. Young, unattached people I aways encourage to take seasonal jobs and just see if it works out to stay past the season. I think with kids in the picture that's much too risky. The economy in AK is not great right now. Just yesterday the state workers got a letter about the possibility of another government shutdown starting on July 1st. With the threat of that looming (and it may be just a threat) hiring isn't going to be happening though. Wait it out and if it's still your dream when the economy is better I would try again. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
View detailed profiles of: