Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2009, 10:53 AM

4 posts, read 25,046 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by starlite9 View Post
Nowhere where I live at in the interior.

No people... well a few.

No Borough... or local politicians

No Property taxes, or services... You get what you supply...

Bears in the garbage/burn barrels verses dogs in the real world...

Wolves stopping by to see if the dog can come out and play and then be eaten at the end of the session.

Moose eating the flowers and other stuff in the garden...

Way too much quiet....

Really cold in the winter...

Really hot in the summer...

Too little light in the winter...

Too much light in the summer...

Oh, and Mosquitoes the size of humming birds...

Yep, where I am in Alaska is really a rotten spot for people to want to move to...

I hear that Sterling is a really nice place though...

oh my this doesnt sound rotten at all! sounds fantastic. (all cept that mosquito thing, but i am from florida, i know all about annoying bugs)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2009, 02:37 PM

3,774 posts, read 11,223,572 times
The really big mosquitos are prevalent in early to mid-spring. After that they come down to the average quarter to 3/8 inch size. Small towns have fewer jobs available. Anchorage is cheaper than NYC or the Bay area in CA. No sales tax also helps on things. No state income tax. More expensive gas right now, and I don't know why. Anchorage has smaller communities surrounding it that provide cheaper living options than the city, but the tradeoff is the commute.

Old 01-27-2009, 12:20 AM

6,381 posts, read 14,559,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yasmeen View Post
oh my this doesnt sound rotten at all! sounds fantastic. (all cept that mosquito thing, but i am from florida, i know all about annoying bugs)
Nope, Nope, really rotton, Sterling is the place you want to be....

They have those big paying forest service jobs, where you sit around and count beetle kill trees from the office with a spotting scope... Starts about a GS-34 level I think....

Rance wasn't kidding that it was the best place....

Old 01-27-2009, 12:25 AM

6,381 posts, read 14,559,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JavaPhil View Post
The really big mosquitos are prevalent in early to mid-spring. After that they come down to the average quarter to 3/8 inch size.
3/8" is the size of their body width, that makes the smaller ones about three inches long, here is a smaller one... It is a pet, so the blood sucker thingy was removed so it won't drain you out at night.

Old 01-27-2009, 01:05 AM

Those are the state bird species. Also known as ichnumen flies. Vampires in insect drag. LOL Not really, but they look good don't they? I get those clustered around the front porch light and the screen doors.

Old 01-27-2009, 06:10 PM

1,329 posts, read 2,942,203 times
Quote:
3/8" is the size of their body width, that makes the smaller ones about three inches long, here is a smaller one... It is a pet, so the blood sucker thingy was removed so it won't drain you out at night.
OMG that thing can not be real!! We spray for skeeters here, maybe your lovley gov could ask OH for instructions on how to get those babies under control!

Old 01-27-2009, 09:11 PM

1,081 posts, read 2,363,128 times
Cripes......I need more DEET!

(Really, being that big there should be a recipe that utilizes them......)

Old 01-27-2009, 09:43 PM

244 posts, read 485,806 times
Definetly not showing the wife that pic! In an effort to be truthfull i told her.."wow skeeters are big there". Now i can say i told yah they were!

Old 01-27-2009, 10:03 PM

Daughter of a friend of mine sent out this miniature bear trap, labelled as the mosquito catcher, but the recipient didn't get the joke.

Old 01-27-2009, 10:06 PM

8,685 posts, read 16,840,588 times
Quote:
LOL...that might keep some away and some a packin...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska