U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2015, 03:46 PM

8,142 posts, read 5,709,159 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by heathen View Post
Homer has really good restaurants for a small town in Alaska.
This is absolutely true. Very good food and a wide variety considering the size of the town.

Like others have said, go across the bay and explore. You're going to want to after looking at it so much. Drive around and explore in general.

Drive as far to the northeast as you can on East End Road before the paved road ends. Keep driving on the unpaved road if your vehicle allows. Enjoy the views of the glaciers if it is clear.

Go to the spit and watch the bald eagles, if all the tourists haven't run them off.

Walk around the Carl E Wynn Nature Center. Its a very nice little place.

Go to the laundromat that offers laundry, espresso and showers.

My advice would be not to try and plan too much in advance. Get there, drive around and decide what you want to do based on what seems interesting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2015, 03:04 AM

1 posts, read 673 times
Default Things to do in Homer

I know Homer pretty well and our favorite things to do are:

1. Free: Walk on the beach Ė Bishopís beach. You get completely new views in low and high tide. $ - after your walk, buy dessert in Three Sisterís Bakery, which is located right next to the beach. $$ - buy a boxed lunch at Mauraís cafť, just a 5 min. walk from bishopís beach, and eat it as a picnic on the beach. $$$ - walk on the beach and followed by dinner at AJís Steakhouse. Actually, even the latter is not super expensive, for what you get. All of these places have great food.

2. Free: Walk around the dock in the small boat harbor. It is fun, great photo opportunities, and you can even tag on visiting a few shops on the spit. $ - Take the Pratt Museumís historic harbor walking tour ($10/person). $$ - small boat harbor followed by sandwiches at Boardwalk Bakery (I think you can even get lunchboxes there as well). $$$ - small boat harbor followed by dinner/lunch at Landís End restaurant.

3. Visit the Pratt Museum, including the gardens and the walking trail and have lunch at Cosmic Kitchen Ė excellent food and very affordable ($10-$15/person). You can even sit outside and people watch.

4. Walk around old town (free), visit the Islands and Oceans visitor center (free) including the boardwalk walking trail, brows at the Old Book Store (free), have lunch at the Vidaís Thai Food (they just moved to the Mermaid restaurant in the same building as the bookstore), which is not free, but fantastic food ($15/person).

5. Daytrip to Seldovia by the Seldovia Bay Ferry Ė visit the museum, old town, etcÖ Mako's water taxi has a trip to Halibut Cove across the Bay that also includes dinner at the Saltry. It is not cheap, but people love the experience because the food is fantastic and you also have some time to look around in Halibut Cove.

6. Buy your knickknacks and Alaska souvenirs at Safeway or Ulmerís (True Value) for half the price what they sell for on the Spit.

7. Some of the halibut charters used to offer Ĺ day charters which were cheaper. Alternately, you can go down to the fishing hole on the spit and fish for salmon. People also fish for cod at the beach next to Landís End.

8. Go to the farmerís market. Itís small but has great veggies and fish. Visit the fish auction block on the spit. Almost across from the farmerís market they used to have an antique store Ė I donít know if it is still there.

9. Fat Olives has great pizza, but I recommend grabbing a slice to go on your way to somewhere instead of sitting down at the restaurant if you are on a budget.

10. As for hiking and rentals, etcÖ - ask Islandís and Oceanís. Also, Cook Inlet Keepers used to have a guided beachcombing trip I think. Please be careful of tides and follow all safety procedures! The tides are the second largest in the world in Cook Inlet!

11. As you are staying out on East End, I assume you will rent a car. The Bagel Shop is right across from the Gear Shed. It appears you are outdoorsy, so may enjoy browsing around the Gear Shed. There is also Bear Creek Winery on that side of Homer, but I think their tastings cost $. If you prefer beer tasting, you can try the Homer Brewing Company.

So lots of things to do in Homer, even if you are on a budget. Hope you have a great trip and congratulations!

Old 06-11-2015, 10:14 AM

1,070 posts, read 878,573 times
Thank you so much TN360, that's awesome and super helpful! Looks like plenty to do for the week we'll be there
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or