U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 07:27 PM

15,018 posts, read 25,399,783 times

Advertisements

I was surprised that she even lived long enough to raise calves of her own. I white moose calf may as well have flags, banners and neon lights reading here I am, come eat me written all over them for the bears!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2008, 11:24 PM

3,774 posts, read 7,646,506 times
The white bear was tested and found to be the offspring of a grizzly and a polar bear, if I remember the story correctly. I could be thinking of another bear in another story.

Old 01-21-2008, 11:48 PM

Ther eare some bears in the western Canada area that are pretty much white black bears. And there are those with the blue hue to them. And there are some polar/griz mix now too! I have a funny feeling the polar bears will only move onshore over time, and after cross breeding with grizzly's we'll have a heck of a time avoiding them as they may not want to hibernate in winter. Or they might there is no telling. But I do think they will somewhat adjust with the melt down of the icecap. We may lose a few...but I think a few will survive to evolve into an entirely new breed. Will be interesting to watch.

I don't know of any white bull moose as of yet. That would be a neat sight. I've only heard of the white cows.

Old 01-21-2008, 11:59 PM

5,581 posts, read 8,320,816 times
This is the first time I've been over to the Alaskan threads. The title "Spirit Moose" caught my eye. Thank you all for sharing the stories, and the two beautiful pictures of the beautiful white moose. He/she? looks very young to me. And so interesting about the white bears and blue bears.

We used to have a family of raccoons that lived in the trees behind where we lived in Oregon. Most were the regular raccoon colors of brown, grey, black, white, etc. But two were completely white and one was completely red! Red like an orange tabby cat is red. We watched the family have two litters of babies... we were so sad to have to move away. I hope whoever moved into our old place respects them as much as we did.

Our world is beautiful. I have been feeling too negative lately. This thread helped pull me out of that for a bit. Thank you!

Old 01-22-2008, 12:06 AM

I've visited Washington back in 78. There was some pretty country there. And I saw deer and black bears while out picking black berries!

Old 01-22-2008, 02:44 AM

3,874 posts, read 11,581,885 times
Yes, Rance, Washington is beautiful, and it's lush and lovely, with flowers in January! Originally from New York City and Connecticut, I still marvel every January at the presence of flowers here in western WA!

HOUSEELF, hi!! I'm glad my moosies gave you smiles. The photos are of two different moosies, one in Ontario and one in Canada. I was told the one with the spots (click on the photo; it'll "largen") has spots on her skin in the same places! Can you imagine blue bears in your backyard? :-)

Old 01-22-2008, 09:50 AM

216 posts, read 26,287 times
As a photographer, the albino moose is something I have been hunting for here, theres rumors that there is one around the potter marsh area here. While they are rare, according to studies I have read on them, These white mooses are not really sure to be actual albinos, no one has documented proof of a moose calf being born albino/white, so scientist believe as the moose matues and ages some fluke in their genetic makeup causes their hair to turn grey/white.
Normally, only 1 in 100,000 moose have the albino trait, which is recessive. But the gene appears to run in the herd in southeastern Idaho, studies theorizes the probability of an albino moose may be 1 in 10,000.

Old 01-22-2008, 11:02 AM

2,628 posts, read 4,645,756 times
I've seen a lot of moose in my life, but never even heard of a white one. It is a cool picture, though.
The white bears are a different story. While I've never seen him/her up close myself, we do have two white black bears
(dubbed "glacier bear") living in the area- they make an appearance every so often, usually getting their unusual picture in the paper. Of course, we're too far south for polar bears to be meeting up with black bears, so there must be some other reason...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juneau Daily News, 8.19.02

Rare white bear spotted in Juneau

A very rare albino black bear has been spied by Juneau Photographer and Bear Advocate Pat Costello.

He was able to photograph it, but is not saying where he saw it because of the bear hunting season that opens September 1st. "Its a one of a kind animal and I figured it would be a shame to see it shot just to become a rug on someone's wall."

Neal Barten is the Area Management Biologist for State Fish and Game. He says a white bear is quite rare. He's never seen one and says few people do. He's heard reports over the last three years of people seeing a white bear. He's not sure if one or several animals have accounted for the sightings.

Costello wants Fish and Game to exclude white bears from the upcoming hunt, but Barten says that exception would have to go through the Board of Game process. Any member of the public can make a proposal, but the process takes time. Barten says the next time the board is scheduled to accept proposals for Southeast is two years from now.

In the meantime, Costello is sharing his photos on JuneauPhoto.com. There's one photo on the site now and he plans to post more throughout the week.

He took 22 photos in all. He believes the bear is a female. Its a young bear about 140 to 160 pounds.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juneau Daily News, 9.9.02

Second "white" black bear spotted in Juneau

Another white colored black bear has been spotted in the Juneau area.

Helen Wright is a resident of Glendale Street in the Valley off of Back Loop. She was sitting on her back porch at about 8:30 Wednesday night when she saw a sow bear come out of the darkness.

She stood up and tried to scare the bear off, but it was still making its way towards her. At that point she saw the white cub near the sow. Wright says she was so awe struck that she forgot to make her escape into the house, until she remembered there was a big black bear only about seven feet away.

By the time she made it through her screen door, the sow and cub continued across her yard and back into the darkness, she says. Wright says it shook her up since she had never seen a white black bear before.

The other white bear was spied by local photographer Pat Costello in a location he will not disclose. Thanks to Costello, white colored bears were made exempt from the bear hunting season that opened September 1st.

Based on his request, the Board of Game granted an emergency, temporary exemption for 120 days and will take a permanent exemption when it starts meeting in Juneau November 1st.

State Fish and Game officials believe the white bear is a variation of what they call a glacier bear -- a black bear with a light colored fur coat. The bears can run from cinnamon to golden retriever blond to blue-white.

Here's a picture, though not of the specific bears in Juneau...

http://www.oceanlight2.bc.ca/images/spirit-bear+url.jpg (broken link)

Last edited by Xa'at; 01-22-2008 at 11:13 AM.. Reason: cleanup

Old 01-22-2008, 08:30 PM

13,067 posts, read 14,744,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JavaPhil View Post
The white bear was tested and found to be the offspring of a grizzly and a polar bear, if I remember the story correctly. I could be thinking of another bear in another story.
Yes, it's another story, but I did read the news about the bear you are talking about. That was a very interesting one, and related to a sort of white bear found dead. The bear didn't look somewhat but not quite like a polar bear. Now, I have seen a few white ravens over at the UAF's trails near the student housing.

Old 01-22-2008, 08:49 PM

3,874 posts, read 11,581,885 times
Ray, you've seen white ravens in Fairbanks??? Wow.... you didn't happen to take one of your beautiful photos of them, did you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska