U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2015, 05:28 PM

2,561 posts, read 3,941,011 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatoc View Post
I do have some things on my background. I was planning to take the Alaskan highway. What other options do I have?
You can drive to Bellingham, Washington and take the ferry to Southeast Alaska. To get to Southcentral Alaska, you'll have to take the Cross Golf ferry from Juneau to Whittier. This books up ahead time, so make reservations early. And it's not cheap. Alaska Marine Highway System :: Official Site :: Alaska DOT&PF
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2015, 05:29 PM

Canada info: Canada Welcomes You!

Old 06-09-2015, 05:32 PM

20,463 posts, read 26,595,212 times
Just a warning about heading to SE Alaska -- deckhand jobs are really hard to come by. There's no inexpensive lodging available. Salmon season is short and fast. The local salmon seiners are family deals, and the ones that come up from Washington bring their crews with them. I understand it's similar out in Bristol. Bring enough money with you to get back home if it doesn't work out.

Old 06-09-2015, 05:34 PM

This should help too: Travellers - Visitors to Canada

Old 06-09-2015, 05:38 PM

23 posts, read 30,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKStafford View Post
Yep. The border guys at the Alaska/Canada border have always been super nice, but you'll need to have everything in order, including your passport.
To get into Canada, you'll need to have a fairly clean criminal record. No felonies, no DUI, etc.
Alaska is a huge state, with more coastline than the rest of the country combined. Fishing happens from Ketchikan all the way over to the Aleutian Chain and up into Bristol Bay. So you'll need to zero in on where you are headed. If you are headed to Southeast Alaska, drive to Bellingham, WA and take the ferry. If you are headed to Bristol Bay, drive to Anchorage and fly. Or just fly the whole way.
I do have 2 felonies and a DUI on my record. I also read about a TRP to enter into Canada for a specific time. I would just fly to Alaska but I would rather drive to have my car with me. That's my only problem, is getting to Alaska with my car and with my record the way it is. I'm researching now on how I would be able to and a TRP is looking possible, hopefully.

Old 06-09-2015, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Just a warning about heading to SE Alaska -- deckhand jobs are really hard to come by. There's no inexpensive lodging available. Salmon season is short and fast. The local salmon seiners are family deals, and the ones that come up from Washington bring their crews with them. I understand it's similar out in Bristol. Bring enough money with you to get back home if it doesn't work out.
Definitely listen to this advice... The days of walking the dock and getting on a boat were over a while ago... Now it's who you know.

Old 06-10-2015, 12:09 AM

1,781 posts, read 1,175,792 times
Quote:
Ok, I was just uncertain if the rules on the Alaskan/Canadian border where looser. So I will need a passport to get into Alaska? And I haven't figured out where I will go for sure yet. Wherever has the most promising leads, apparently.
Why would the rules be looser? Come on. You are 25 yrs old, you should know that you would need a passport to enter the US from a foreign country.

BTW, driving your car up is a great idea, but if I am not mistaken, most commercial fishing jobs are off the road??? I am still new to Alaska and commercial fishing is a new topic I have taken an interest in. I would look into the fishing locales and buy a plane ticket to those locations. Take a very good tent and buy a bicycle until you get a job.

What sort of skills do you have besides being young and in good health?

Old 06-10-2015, 12:10 AM

Quote:
I do have some things on my background. I was planning to take the Alaskan highway. What other options do I have?
Fly or ferry...

Old 06-10-2015, 12:14 AM

Quote:
I do have 2 felonies and a DUI on my record. I also read about a TRP to enter into Canada for a specific time. I would just fly to Alaska but I would rather drive to have my car with me. That's my only problem, is getting to Alaska with my car and with my record the way it is. I'm researching now on how I would be able to and a TRP is looking possible, hopefully.
Skip driving seriously. Fly and save the money you'd spend to buy a vehicle once you get here. Most of the fishing locales are off the road. Just an idea. It will cost us $2500 to ship our vehicle on a barge to bristol bay area from Seattle. Same price from Anchorage.

Old 06-10-2015, 12:54 AM

20,463 posts, read 26,595,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haolejohn View Post
Skip driving seriously. Fly and save the money you'd spend to buy a vehicle once you get here. Most of the fishing locales are off the road. Just an idea. It will cost us $2500 to ship our vehicle on a barge to bristol bay area from Seattle. Same price from Anchorage.
You're right about that but...well, my family's been in the industry since the Stone Age, and the work just isn't there right now. Crew members aren't hired off the docks unless it's a last minute deal and someone got hurt or sick out there, and even then, there's often a local replacement waiting in the wings. If a local captain doesn't have a fast replacement, that's a huge red flag -- if a local guy won't go out on a certain boat, there's always a good reason.

Like I've already stated, hiring of initial crew is done from the point of departure. The Pacific seafood industry is not and never has been state-specific. The majority of commercial salmon vessels that fish Alaskan waters are docked and registered in Washington State and only run to Alaska for a pretty short and pretty intense pink run before heading south again for the fall runs off WA.

There's plenty of seasonal work available in Alaska that doesn't involve flying blind. I really don't get it.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 06-10-2015 at 01:26 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or