U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2015, 01:13 AM

841 posts, read 610,273 times

Advertisements

I doubt you can enter Canada.
"Originally Posted by Lunatoc
I do have 2 felonies and a DUI on my record."
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2015, 01:27 AM

878 posts, read 1,393,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Music_Man View Post
I doubt you can enter Canada.
"Originally Posted by Lunatoc
I do have 2 felonies and a DUI on my record."
I think a DUI alone is a no-go. They figure you might get sauced and be driving drunk on their roads. No bueno. I also think 2 felonies is a no-go. Canada is not letting him in.

Also, I'd never move anywhere with 2 felonies and a DUI without something concrete set up. I can't imagine how difficult it would be to land a job with that sort of record. I don't envy it.

Old 06-10-2015, 07:01 AM

8,124 posts, read 5,697,149 times
Basic question that I might have missed in your original post: have you been to Alaska before?

Also, $3,000 is not going to last you very long. I personally wouldn't go without a job at all, but assuming I was, I'd go with about 6 months of savings for living expenses. Expenses are either higher or MUCH higher depending on whether you are on the road system or not. If you are on the road system, most non-perishables won't be that much higher than what you are used to. However, if you are going to SE Alaska, almost none of that is on the road and everything will be more expensive because it has to be flown or ferried in.

Old 06-10-2015, 10:30 AM

2,557 posts, read 3,928,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
The Pacific seafood industry is not and never has been state-specific. The majority of commercial salmon vessels that fish Alaskan waters are docked and registered in Washington State and only run to Alaska for a pretty short and pretty intense pink run before heading south again for the fall runs off WA.
That's a very good point. You might have better luck walking the docks in Seattle...

Old 06-10-2015, 12:41 PM

15,596 posts, read 34,556,906 times
They have those passport cards which basically are for entering US from Canada (not for worldwide/international travel).

You can look into that here:

Passport Card

Old 06-10-2015, 01:15 PM

23 posts, read 30,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
Basic question that I might have missed in your original post: have you been to Alaska before?

Also, $3,000 is not going to last you very long. I personally wouldn't go without a job at all, but assuming I was, I'd go with about 6 months of savings for living expenses. Expenses are either higher or MUCH higher depending on whether you are on the road system or not. If you are on the road system, most non-perishables won't be that much higher than what you are used to. However, if you are going to SE Alaska, almost none of that is on the road and everything will be more expensive because it has to be flown or ferried in.
no, I've never been to Alaska. That's why I'm trying to gather as much information as I can before I go. I'm trying to land a job on a fishing vessel and work my way up the ladder to bigger and better paid things. I don't have anything holding me back, just air and opportunity. But my plan is to work for a year and save as much as I can, which in my situation now I can pretty much save every dime. Then I'm going to head west and hopefully land a job. Life's been boring here and I'm just looking to spice things up a bit.

Old 06-10-2015, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKStafford View Post
That's a very good point. You might have better luck walking the docks in Seattle...
Yeah, I thought about that too. But the whole reason I even wanted to move to Alaska is because its remoteness. I've heard people say its not even like being in the U.S., that its like a world of its own. I was hoping to somehow make a connection with someone who's tied into the fishing industry while I'm here in V.A. and meet up when I get there to work. That might be wishful thinking but its not impossible.

Old 06-10-2015, 01:19 PM

I've also heard that if you can cook then you have a better chance of getting on a boat. I can cook and I wouldn't mind the work load. I'll scrub the barnacles off a beached whale if I had to in order to prove myself.

Old 06-10-2015, 01:25 PM

16,724 posts, read 13,676,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadicBear View Post

Also, I'd never move anywhere with 2 felonies and a DUI without something concrete set up. I can't imagine how difficult it would be to land a job with that sort of record. I don't envy it.
Yeah, that kind of record at age 25? Not too many folks in the continental US would risk it. Certainly not a boat owner.

Old 06-10-2015, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haolejohn View Post
Why would the rules be looser? Come on. You are 25 yrs old, you should know that you would need a passport to enter the US from a foreign country.

BTW, driving your car up is a great idea, but if I am not mistaken, most commercial fishing jobs are off the road??? I am still new to Alaska and commercial fishing is a new topic I have taken an interest in. I would look into the fishing locales and buy a plane ticket to those locations. Take a very good tent and buy a bicycle until you get a job.

What sort of skills do you have besides being young and in good health?
I just thought being able to enter Canada without a passport you should be able to enter Alaska from Canada. Guess I was wrong. I'm just trying to find a good place to go that has an abounding fishing industry that would hire me when I got there. I don't have any skills in commercial fishing but I've heard some Captains would rather hire green so they can train them to their liking. My other skills include construction, warehousing, I'm good on a forklift (if that counts for anything). I've heard of canneries hiring but I'm not interested in the repetitive motions of a work line.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or