U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 06-10-2015, 01:31 PM
 
23 posts, read 30,926 times
Reputation: 36

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
Yeah, that kind of record at age 25? Not too many folks in the continental US would risk it. Certainly not a boat owner.
Really? I would think that the nature of the job that they wouldn't be extremely picky. Especially with the nature or my record. I've landed construction jobs here that hire felons all the time.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-10-2015, 01:39 PM
 
16,724 posts, read 13,676,345 times
Reputation: 40996
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatoc View Post
Really? I would think that the nature of the job that they wouldn't be extremely picky. Especially with the nature or my record. I've landed construction jobs here that hire felons all the time.
A boat owner has a lot more riding on them. If you don't work out, you have to stay on the boat anyway and you'd be eating their food, taking up space for somebody that can do the job.

A construction job can just simply get rid of you.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-10-2015, 01:51 PM
 
Location: Back and Beyond
2,605 posts, read 2,397,420 times
Reputation: 5937
Not fishing related, but for the state of Alaska's economy is in, almost every store in Fairbanks seems to have a now hiring sign out front right now. Probably not the highest paying and most likely seasonal. I have worked construction in homer for a few summers and it's not to hard to find construction work in places if you are any good. Also coolworks.com has cool seasonal opportunities. If Alaska is your dream more so than just fishing you may increase your chances of pulling it off by expanding your work search to more than just fishing . Also you can stay in a dry cabin to save money at first. Your felonies will complicate all this though... Anyways, good luck to you.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-10-2015, 01:59 PM
 
23 posts, read 30,926 times
Reputation: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.7traveler View Post
Not fishing related, but for the state of Alaska's economy is in, almost every store in Fairbanks seems to have a now hiring sign out front right now. Probably not the highest paying and most likely seasonal. I have worked construction in homer for a few summers and it's not to hard to find construction work in places if you are any good. Also coolworks.com has cool seasonal opportunities. If Alaska is your dream more so than just fishing you may increase your chances of pulling it off by expanding your work search to more than just fishing . Also you can stay in a dry cabin to save money at first. Your felonies will complicate all this though... Anyways, good luck to you.
I'm guessing a dry cabin is just a one bedroom, no electricity, wood stove, etc. I don't have a problem with that. I also would like to enjoy the Alaskan wilderness without being to far off the grid to where I'm miles and miles away from anything. Do you know a good place that's like this?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-10-2015, 02:03 PM
 
23 posts, read 30,926 times
Reputation: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
A boat owner has a lot more riding on them. If you don't work out, you have to stay on the boat anyway and you'd be eating their food, taking up space for somebody that can do the job.

A construction job can just simply get rid of you.
Makes sense. I figured if I showed up having driven all the way from Virginia that it would show some degree of dedication that might improve my chances as well. I'm committed 100%. I have what it takes. Its just being in the right place at the right time.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-10-2015, 02:07 PM
 
16,724 posts, read 13,676,345 times
Reputation: 40996
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatoc View Post
Makes sense. I figured if I showed up having driven all the way from Virginia that it would show some degree of dedication that might improve my chances as well. I'm committed 100%. I have what it takes. Its just being in the right place at the right time.
I think right now your best bet is to start proving your worth. If all anyone knows about you is your checkered history, they will prejudge you based on that alone. However, if you get a job locally, stick with it, stay there a couple years to prove your mettle, and also gain a reference at the same time, people will be more willing to take you on.

If you were to just show up in another state out of the blue, looking for work with no long-term experience under your belt, I'd wonder if you are running away from something and what else might crop up.

I'm just being honest, as an employer. I have no problems hiring a felon, as long as they've proven good recent behavior and work history.

Just a thought.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-10-2015, 02:19 PM
 
23 posts, read 30,926 times
Reputation: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
I think right now your best bet is to start proving your worth. If all anyone knows about you is your checkered history, they will prejudge you based on that alone. However, if you get a job locally, stick with it, stay there a couple years to prove your mettle, and also gain a reference at the same time, people will be more willing to take you on.

If you were to just show up in another state out of the blue, looking for work with no long-term experience under your belt, I'd wonder if you are running away from something and what else might crop up.

I'm just being honest, as an employer. I have no problems hiring a felon, as long as they've proven good recent behavior and work history.

Just a thought.
It might seem I'm running away, which in a sense I am. But not for legal reasons. More like running away from a place that's filled with bad memories and broken dreams. As for good recent behavior, I was on probation for 3 years and never violated. Never failed a drug test. I have references to prove that. I also had a job working construction downtown here and actually acquired some very good references. The company's name was Structural Preservation Systems. I got 2 raises and 2 promotions while I was there in the short 9 months the job lasted. The project was preserving a historical building. Water proofing mainly. I have quite a few references that would back up my work ethic. I've just made mistakes that I paid for and am still paying for. Its crazy how being a felon automatically strips you of rights and other things. My whole reason for wanting to move to Alaska is just because I believe I need a change in my life, I need to get away from where I'm at for my own personal reasons. And its just that simple. I have my whole life ahead of me and nothing will stop me from achieving my goals. Right now I'm single and have no kids and I'm in the position where I can just pack up and go.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-10-2015, 02:29 PM
 
16,724 posts, read 13,676,345 times
Reputation: 40996
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatoc View Post
It might seem I'm running away, which in a sense I am. But not for legal reasons. More like running away from a place that's filled with bad memories and broken dreams. As for good recent behavior, I was on probation for 3 years and never violated. Never failed a drug test. I have references to prove that. I also had a job working construction downtown here and actually acquired some very good references. The company's name was Structural Preservation Systems. I got 2 raises and 2 promotions while I was there in the short 9 months the job lasted. The project was preserving a historical building. Water proofing mainly. I have quite a few references that would back up my work ethic. I've just made mistakes that I paid for and am still paying for. Its crazy how being a felon automatically strips you of rights and other things. My whole reason for wanting to move to Alaska is just because I believe I need a change in my life, I need to get away from where I'm at for my own personal reasons. And its just that simple. I have my whole life ahead of me and nothing will stop me from achieving my goals. Right now I'm single and have no kids and I'm in the position where I can just pack up and go.
I truly wish you the best. You seem like you've learned your lesson and just need to shake off the bad juju. But I would at least stay stateside and keep building your rep. Maybe go northeast and try out the way of life before committing to such a huge step that might cost you in the long run. Get yourself known in the fishing community if that's what you want to do, along the west coast first.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-10-2015, 02:31 PM
 
Location: Anchorage
841 posts, read 610,590 times
Reputation: 911
Make sure you have enough reserve money to fly back and go for it! What is the worst that can happen? As long as you have the money to return, it would be a vacation if things don't work out.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-10-2015, 02:36 PM
 
23 posts, read 30,926 times
Reputation: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
I truly wish you the best. You seem like you've learned your lesson and just need to shake off the bad juju. But I would at least stay stateside and keep building your rep. Maybe go northeast and try out the way of life before committing to such a huge step that might cost you in the long run. Get yourself known in the fishing community if that's what you want to do, along the west coast first.
I heard Seattle has a good fishing industry.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top