U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2015, 03:38 PM

23 posts, read 31,003 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music_Man View Post
Make sure you have enough reserve money to fly back and go for it! What is the worst that can happen? As long as you have the money to return, it would be a vacation if things don't work out.
true
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2015, 03:39 PM

16,724 posts, read 13,726,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatoc View Post
I heard Seattle has a good fishing industry.
In fact, most of the Alaskan boats are in port there during the off-season.

Old 06-10-2015, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
In fact, most of the Alaskan boats are in port there during the off-season.
I don't have a problem with starting there and working my way up, eventually. I just know there's money to be made in fishing and I don't have a problem working long, hard, cold, grueling hours. I want to try at least. It would be cool if I could find someone here to go with me.

Old 06-10-2015, 03:55 PM

20,471 posts, read 26,600,256 times
I don't know what you think you're going to "work your way up the ladder" to starting out as crew.

It's not unusual for captains to require that crew has a clean record. Offloads in Canadian ports, you know.

These jobs aren't as easy to get as you seem to think, but whatever. Take money to get home, at least, because the state no longer has a fund to fly people out who came up on spec. without doing their homework and got stranded. They used to do that but got tired of playing babysitter to -48ers.

Old 06-10-2015, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
I don't know what you think you're going to "work your way up the ladder" to starting out as crew.

It's not unusual for captains to require that crew has a clean record. Offloads in Canadian ports, you know.

These jobs aren't as easy to get as you seem to think, but whatever. Take money to get home, at least, because the state no longer has a fund to fly people out who came up on spec. without doing their homework and got stranded. They used to do that but got tired of playing babysitter to -48ers.
What I mean by "up the ladder" is landing better jobs on better boats. I don't expect to land a job and it be the one I want to keep. But working and gaining experience I assume would open the door to bigger and better things. And I'm not going to move to Alaska without back-up plans or means to get back. I have a little more sense than to just go to a strange land without first doing homework and research. Hence why I made this post.

Old 06-10-2015, 04:08 PM

Working on salmon boats is pretty dead end. You also realize, don't you, that the season is short? Unless you're a trustie, and I don't think you are, you'll have work at something during the off season.

Quote:
And I'm not going to move to Alaska without back-up plans or means to get back
Really? You mentioned something in your first post about 3K. That's not enough.

I think I'm the only one in this thread with any real-world experience in this industry, so don't mind me.

Old 06-10-2015, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Working on salmon boats is pretty dead end. You also realize, don't you, that the season is short? Unless you're a trustie, and I don't think you are, you'll have work at something during the off season.

I think I'm the only one in this thread with any real-world experience in this industry, so don't mind me.
I'm glad you are. Besides we do live in the real world. Yeah, I've read that salmon season is short. I've also read when people get finished with salmon season they just pick up and go on another trip for a different season and a different catch.

Old 06-10-2015, 04:15 PM

Look on Seattle Craigslist to get an idea of what captains are looking for in crew members.

Moving to Alaska and starting a new life can probably be done in your case, but you're setting yourself up for failure with the way you want to do it and the assumptions that you're making.

I just had an idea. I'm going to write an eBook about how to "make it" in the commercial salmon industry and put it up for sale on Amazon because I ain't giving out any more free advice on this forum to idjits who don't even listen.

I think I need to be done here. I've given out way too much advice over the course of the years on this forum, but everyone wants to believe that salmon and commercial fishing in general is the second gold rush and that captains hire off the docks all the time. And I have no idea why you're persisting in the bringing your car thing when you can't freakin' drive to where most commercial fleets dock. I think you're delerious, and I'm not in the mood. Best of luck.

Last edited by Rance; 06-11-2015 at 11:31 AM.. Reason: Re-worded a tiny portion!

Old 06-10-2015, 04:32 PM

2,561 posts, read 3,942,452 times
Not sure if you saw this link earlier, but here's a good site for finding seasonal jobs in Alaska. Alaska Jobs | CoolWorks.com

Old 06-10-2015, 05:04 PM

4,983 posts, read 5,480,412 times
Here's a more viable suggestion: OP, build up your skills where you are. Get a short-order restaurant job cooking if you qualify. Save every penny. Check into how long it will take before the DUI is over 1 year old.

Look into getting your CDL for a reputable truck driving school. Several companies accept former offenders if they've kept their noses clean. Research this path further, first!

Drive for awhile and keep you nose clean. Pay off the loan if you got one to get the CDL.

Now, at this point, you have a good work record and some trucking & cooking experience. At this point, start looking into jobs out West or up in Alaska. You now have two good money-making skills.

OP, I've helped bring young people back from Alaska who didn't have enough skills to make it. Sure, Alaska is really cool, but you should take a vacation there first. It really isn't for everyone.

If you are dead set on somewhere cold, look into Williston, ND or Ely, MN (but get jobs lined up, first).

If the economy were better, I wouldn't be posting, but the economy for unskilled workers is not very good. You greatly increase your chances for success if you get some skills. It's no longer enough to be young and hard working.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or