U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2015, 08:02 AM

1,777 posts, read 1,167,936 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhult View Post
No, One wouldn't just assume that with a boarding country. I'm double his age and I wouldn't based on past experience without looking it up now. I traveled to Mexico many times without needing a passport to return home. Granted, I haven't been since 9/11 but one simply crossed into Mexico without lines and no checks. Returning was inspections and asking if we were US citizens and showing our drivers license.

When I visited B.C. on a day trip when I was a teenager, I didn't need a passport to return home or to enter. There's no reason to be an ass about it. If your going overseas, Yes most would know you need a passport. Visiting neighboring countries and returning to your home not so much automatic knowledge.
9/11 changed our country. No excuse to not know the laws.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2015, 08:45 AM

1,777 posts, read 1,167,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhult View Post
No, One wouldn't just assume that with a boarding country. I'm double his age and I wouldn't based on past experience without looking it up now. I traveled to Mexico many times without needing a passport to return home. Granted, I haven't been since 9/11 but one simply crossed into Mexico without lines and no checks. Returning was inspections and asking if we were US citizens and showing our drivers license.

When I visited B.C. on a day trip when I was a teenager, I didn't need a passport to return home or to enter. There's no reason to be an ass about it. If your going overseas, Yes most would know you need a passport. Visiting neighboring countries and returning to your home not so much automatic knowledge.
I shouldRephrase my last statement. You have an excuse based off previous experience. A 25 year old only know post 9/11 America.

Old 06-28-2015, 01:02 AM

31 posts, read 60,154 times
Hello everyone, Please can someone give me an advice about moving to Kenai Alaska with my family of 6. On the internet, I read Kenai is a nice and affordable place (Housing, feeding, jobs and schools) in Alaska. I want to know if am about to do the right thing and what it takes to have a good life and job (fishing, mining, extracting.e.t.c) in Alaska. Please I will prefer a reply or advise from a native or someone who have lived or living in Alaska for a period of time.

Thanks

Old 07-03-2015, 02:52 PM
YAZ

7,067 posts, read 11,436,824 times
Started lurking around the Alaskan forums recently. Mainly because my cousin and her husband just shared some beautiful pics with me from their home in Nikiski.

They "escaped" the southern California b.s. and have been living in AK for about fifteen years or so.....

Let me share a "vibe" with the OP that I'd bet many Alaskans possess as well.....

Make a move like that and you better bring some skills to the table. I'm originally from the U.P. of Michigan, and hard work/dedication will keep you from going hungry up there. That's about it. Welding, being good with a chainsaw, and a willingness to spend some days on your knees working on snowmobiles are good attributes to have. Blood on your knuckles coagulates quickly when there's like.....no degrees outside....or negative ones.....

I've seen it here in Phoenix, AZ more times than I can count. Folks want to leave their daily doldrums and live their lives under palm trees and in swimming pools. Life's a beach, eh? Nope. There's a daily grind here that's not advertised or promoted. And folks realize it fairly quick. Most folks that I know that made the move go back "home" within two years. With less money than they had or worse. They go back to "Mommy" for a while.

No college? Prepare to work menial jobs....JOBS....because one job ain't gonna cut it. Felony convictions? Well, that rules out work that involves money changing hands and driving in these parts. Most good manufacturing work as well, because it's aerospace centered here.

I would consider a move to Alaska at this point in my life. But that's ME. I have family there and a built in support system. And I bring skills to the table that are valuable around the homestead and "cash driven" economically.

I wouldn't move there to be "happy." I would move there BECAUSE I'm happy.

Oh, any you Alaskans?

Enjoy you summer.

Old 07-04-2015, 06:37 PM

16 posts, read 11,297 times
YAZ...you've touched on several key points for anyone contemplating heading north, including a strong work ethic (hooray for growing up in the Midwest!), an ability to keep one's frequently-inadequately-informed opinions to oneself, and a strong determination to carry one's own weight among them.

The dreamy-eyed hippies mostly don't generally last long outside of a few enclaves, and shiftless fugitives aren't much welcome either.

Overly romantic misconceptions borne of television/Hollywood aside, the best way to get one's foot in the door (and not get run out of town later!) up here seems to be possessing---or cultivating pretty darn quick!---a healthy "shut up and carry your own weight" outlook in order to really experience bush AK...and if you're fortunate and patient, perhaps even one day trusted/accepted to a meaningful degree by (m)any of the locals.

"You ain't from around here...but we'll overlook that" means a lot in Alaska!

Old 07-29-2015, 12:38 AM

2,268 posts, read 1,734,158 times
About 2.5 years ago I moved here with minimal planning but lots of cash. That part was purposeful.

I came without college but extensive experience in healthcare.

I got here in June of 2013 and while I was really just vacationing and traveling, I had a heck of a time even getting interviews. I didn't land my first interview, and subsequently my first job, until September. I did work for a month at a fish plant but that was more "tourism."

Luckily, I was able to nail the interview and impress due to my experience and background.

In the last two years I went from a drop in pay from my previous job to almost doubling it.

There is work here and there is money but I've found the door to it is networking. Knowing people and having people know you.

Hard work is key as well.

Housing during the summer was insane.

The first winter was eye opening and my vehicle was completely inappropriate necessitating another vehicle.

So if you move here you will need money, skills, the ability to get more money. A plan would help but I find planning takes away the adventure.

And luck. You better be damn lucky lol.

Old 10-13-2017, 07:29 PM

1 posts, read 303 times
Default My Input

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
I'm not sure what makes you think I give a damn. For the record, I don't care.

On the off chance that you aren't a troll, if you were really serious about turning your life around, you'd get a better plan than walking the docks in Alaska.

By all means, show up in Alaska and walk the docks. Captains will be tripping over themselves to hire you, I'm sure. And don't worry about getting through Canada or back into Alaska--they'll just smile and wave you on through at the border. Don't worry about getting your car to the commercial fishing grounds; they're all on the road system.

You are a DOUCHE BAG. For being so judgemental you must be just like God!!The guy is asking for real life advice!!!If you cannot give him good advice why comment???? And you know what the captains will trip over themselves!!I think it is a good plan! If it is something that might better himself!

Old 10-13-2017, 07:55 PM

20,417 posts, read 26,539,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoName123Florida View Post
You are a DOUCHE BAG. For being so judgemental you must be just like God!!The guy is asking for real life advice!!!If you cannot give him good advice why comment???? And you know what the captains will trip over themselves!!I think it is a good plan! If it is something that might better himself!
If you think it's such a good plan, do it yourself. I've forgotten more about commercial fishing than you will ever know. Don't mind answering legitimate questions, but I'm not about to encourage someone to take a course of action that will likely leave them stranded and broke. The OP only seemed to want people to encourage him to come to Alaska on spec and "walk the docks" and was operating under the tired old illusion that the streets and the docks are paved with gold.

The guy wanted to come up with no money and a serious criminal record thinking that these jobs are passed out like candy on the docks and didn't seem to want to hear it when people tried to steer him toward a more realistic plan. Alaska is brutal to those who show up unprepared.

I gave him some damned good advice, as did others here, but he didn't seem interested in the reality of the situation, so taking your crying and your silly name-calling elsewhere.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 10-13-2017 at 08:20 PM..

Old 10-13-2017, 11:38 PM

4,104 posts, read 1,529,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoName123Florida View Post
Considering that the OP last posted over 2 years ago we could all wonder just what dock he's wandering these days. I bet he's someplace down south and probably a lot better off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or