Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2015, 03:16 PM

23 posts, read 42,373 times

Advertisements

I'm trying to gather some research before I make my final decision on rather or not I should move to Alaska. It's something I really want to do and would commit myself 100%. I'm 25 years old and in good health. I love the outdoors and like the cold more than I do the heat. Plus I just need to get away from everything here in my hometown. I've heard about the cost of living being higher, but at the same time the payout from jobs is higher. My plan is to save money for an entire year starting now, and move (drive) to Alaska in the spring of next year, probably in May. I would not come up there with less than $3,000 in my hands. I want to "beat the docks" during salmon season and land a job as a deckhand on a vessel. I've heard stories about people doing it and some not making hardly anything and others making quite a bit. Also, I need to know a good starter place to lay my head that isn't to expensive. Preferably somewhere near where these fishing vessels make harbor. I plan to work salmon for a season or two and move up the ladder.
The idea of moving to Alaska in itself is exciting. Although, I am a realist and understand the pros and cons. I take the good with the bad. I would prefer to hear from somebody who is native to Alaska who knows the ropes. How realistic is this plan? Is it possible? Is this reasonable? I currently live in Virginia and would drive to Alaska. I've been doing research about needing a passport. I understand you don't need one to get through Canada. But my real question is do you need one to get from Canada into Alaska? I would appreciate all answers related to this topic. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2015, 03:33 PM

26,586 posts, read 36,531,974 times
May is a bit early for commercial salmon season...

Old 06-09-2015, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
May is a bit early for commercial salmon season...

I was under the assumption that the seasons started early June. Getting there in the middle/end of May would give me time to land a job. Early bird gets the worm, ya know?

Old 06-09-2015, 03:41 PM

2,795 posts, read 5,591,491 times
You will need the passport to get back into the US from Canada.
"The docks" is a rather vague location. Where are you planning on heading? Southeast? Kodiak? Cordova? Dutch Harbor?
You'll find some of the seasonal fish jobs here: Alaska Jobs | CoolWorks.com

Old 06-09-2015, 03:42 PM

Sure it does, out in Bristol Bay.

I assumed you'd be going elsewhere in the state since you'll be driving.

Good luck.

Old 06-09-2015, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKStafford View Post
You will need the passport to get back into the US from Canada.
"The docks" is a rather vague location. Where are you planning on heading? Southeast? Kodiak? Cordova? Dutch Harbor?
You'll find some of the seasonal fish jobs here: Alaska Jobs | CoolWorks.com
Ok, I was just uncertain if the rules on the Alaskan/Canadian border where looser. So I will need a passport to get into Alaska? And I haven't figured out where I will go for sure yet. Wherever has the most promising leads, apparently.

Old 06-09-2015, 03:52 PM

You'll also need a clean record to be allowed to pass through Canada.

Your choices of locations will be limited unless you want to leave your car somewhere.

Old 06-09-2015, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
You'll also need a clean record to be allowed to pass through Canada.

Your choices of locations will be limited unless you want to leave your car somewhere.
I do have some things on my background. I was planning to take the Alaskan highway. What other options do I have?

Old 06-09-2015, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatoc View Post
I do have some things on my background. I was planning to take the Alaskan highway. What other options do I have?
Fly or take the marine highway. Whether Canadian customs will let you in will depend on the nature of your crimes. You'll have to research that.

I cannot, in good conscience, advise you or anyone else to simply show up in Alaska and count on working salmon. Find another way. Look through the link Stafford posted above. It won't contain any deckhand jobs, but it'll provide you with more viable opportunities.

Old 06-09-2015, 04:26 PM

2,795 posts, read 5,591,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatoc View Post
Ok, I was just uncertain if the rules on the Alaskan/Canadian border where looser. So I will need a passport to get into Alaska? And I haven't figured out where I will go for sure yet. Wherever has the most promising leads, apparently.
Yep. The border guys at the Alaska/Canada border have always been super nice, but you'll need to have everything in order, including your passport.
To get into Canada, you'll need to have a fairly clean criminal record. No felonies, no DUI, etc.
Alaska is a huge state, with more coastline than the rest of the country combined. Fishing happens from Ketchikan all the way over to the Aleutian Chain and up into Bristol Bay. So you'll need to zero in on where you are headed. If you are headed to Southeast Alaska, drive to Bellingham, WA and take the ferry. If you are headed to Bristol Bay, drive to Anchorage and fly. Or just fly the whole way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska