Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2015, 11:07 PM

13 posts, read 14,003 times

Advertisements

I've searched for an answer, and similar questions have been asked, but no answers that help me:

I'm moving to Anchorage this coming December from Arizona, I will be driving just in my Xterra, which is 4 wheel drive with all season tires.

Which was is the most direct route, and best to drive through during winter? My two thoughts are:

A. Come up through Cali, Oregon, Seattle, Prince George through BC

or

B. Up through Utah, Idaho, Montana, Calgary, Dawsons Creek through Alberta

Which one of these are better for driving in December? Or do you have a better route? I'm trying to make the drive in 7 days, driving 10-13 hours a day, with my fiancé.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2015, 11:35 PM

2,795 posts, read 5,614,728 times
I've always come from Seattle or Portland, so I've taken I-5 to Bellingham, then over to Sumas and onto Prince George.
Either way you come, be sure to have The MILEPOST: Alaska Travel Guide and Trip Planner .

Old 06-18-2015, 11:36 PM

2,993 posts, read 4,303,849 times
I just made the drive to fairbanks this last December. Here is a link to the thread about my questions. Moving and Driving to Fairbanks in December/January
Here are the basics:
-Winter tires a must. All season tires are not kosher in extreme cold.
-get your car winterized before you come up as you may encounter -40 or colder temps (maybe in montana or Canada, they won't know what to do in AZ)
-block heater, oil pan heater and battery maintainer
-milepost
-only drive during day especially as you get further north
-carry winter survival gear and extra gas
-drive on top half of your tank
You shouldn't have a problem with your goal of 7 days (possibly even sooner) but be flexible, s*** happens so it would be a good idea to give yourself and extra day or two before you make any commitments to be up here.
I came from colorado and went straight up through Alberta to the Alaska highway. Stick to Alaska highway, not the cassiar. More services, more traffic and better maintained.
Good luck, I'm sure others will chime in.

Last edited by 6.7traveler; 06-18-2015 at 11:45 PM..

Old 06-19-2015, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.7traveler View Post
I just made the drive to fairbanks this last December. Here is a link to the thread about my questions. Moving and Driving to Fairbanks in December/January
Here are the basics:
-Winter tires a must. All season tires are not kosher in extreme cold.
-get your car winterized before you come up as you may encounter -40 or colder temps (maybe in montana or Canada, they won't know what to do in AZ)
-block heater, oil pan heater and battery maintainer
-milepost
-only drive during day especially as you get further north
-carry winter survival gear and extra gas
-drive on top half of your tank
You shouldn't have a problem with your goal of 7 days (possibly even sooner) but be flexible, s*** happens so it would be a good idea to give yourself and extra day or two before you make any commitments to be up here.
I came from colorado and went straight up through Alberta to the Alaska highway. Stick to Alaska highway, not the cassiar. More services, more traffic and better maintained.
Good luck, I'm sure others will chime in.
Thanks, but the all season tires will get me there right?

Old 06-19-2015, 10:40 AM

202 posts, read 356,026 times
It's a crap shoot. Your tires will make it if things are right. Cold no snow clear roads. Before you get here or shortly after you will need them. I would leave room to buy tires on the way north and carry the used tires with you. If you are going to live here long you might want to invest in a spare set of wheels to mount the winter tires on. Carry the wheels with you and if you need the winter tires before you get up here buy then in the lower 48 or at Canadian tire in Canada.
You might check with craigslist in Tucson for some snow bird that just moved down and has some snow tires or better yet studded tires.

Old 06-19-2015, 10:56 AM

2,993 posts, read 4,303,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Wolf_Shark View Post
That's your call. I am sure people drive up here on them but I wouldn't. I may skimp on a lot of things but tires aren't one of them. ~$500 worth of winter tires to keep you safe and out of the ditch seems worth it to me. I had a moose run right in front of me and barely stopped in time with studded snow tires. Who knows what the result would of been had I had all season tires. A woman that my wife works with drove up on all season tires and went into the ditch in the Yukon. I am sure the tow out was similar in cost to what good tires would have been.

You may be suprised to find out what a plowed and maintained "highway" looks like in December up here. Also the rubber compound on All season tires turns rock solid in extreme cold. I think it was -27 or something like that at times when I was driving up. And it could get much colder than that. Your vehicle is your only lifeline up there in winter.

Anyways, whatever you choose, good luck to you.

Old 06-19-2015, 01:12 PM

7,487 posts, read 8,002,874 times
Quote:
It depends on the all season tire. Just about any tire can be called all season. Most of them are not very good in harsh winter conditions. In Dec you will see cold weather and the roads can get icy. In my opinion all season tire's biggest downfall is driving on ice and hard packed snow. I don't like changing tires twice a year so I use all weather tires. They have the mountain and snowflake symbol on them and have a compound in the rubber that keeps them pliable in the cold. They also are designed for summer driving. While not as good as a true winter tire, they do quite well. Does not hurt that I drive a jeep with full time 4 wheel drive.

You will want to get your vehicle winterized before going. You will likely encounter temps well below zero and will want to be able to plug in at night. Also make sure you buy an outdoor extension cord that stays pliable when frozen. Most so called outdoor extension cords get real stiff when temps drop below freezing which will be just one more thing to annoy you when trying to hit the road in the morning.

Old 06-19-2015, 01:20 PM

7,487 posts, read 8,002,874 times
Quote:
I'm trying to make the drive in 7 days, driving 10-13 hours a day, with my fiancé.
7 days is doable especially if both of will be driving. I would push harder while still in the states as once you get on the Alcan you will not have 10 to 13 hours of daylight. I can think of many things that are more enjoyable than driving on a 2 lane highway in the dark during the winter

Old 06-19-2015, 03:00 PM

2,383 posts, read 3,103,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Mutt View Post
7 days is doable especially if both of will be driving. I would push harder while still in the states as once you get on the Alcan you will not have 10 to 13 hours of daylight. I can think of many things that are more enjoyable than driving on a 2 lane highway in the dark during the winter
Yep, not to mention safer... not the safest drive in the snow, on the ice, in the dark, with large animals on the roadway, with all-season tires, for someone who's never made the drive or driven in those particularly poor conditions. Heck, not the safest for those of us who HAVE made the drive!

Old 06-19-2015, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Mutt View Post
It depends on the all season tire. Just about any tire can be called all season. Most of them are not very good in harsh winter conditions. In Dec you will see cold weather and the roads can get icy. In my opinion all season tire's biggest downfall is driving on ice and hard packed snow. I don't like changing tires twice a year so I use all weather tires. They have the mountain and snowflake symbol on them and have a compound in the rubber that keeps them pliable in the cold. They also are designed for summer driving. While not as good as a true winter tire, they do quite well. Does not hurt that I drive a jeep with full time 4 wheel drive.

You will want to get your vehicle winterized before going. You will likely encounter temps well below zero and will want to be able to plug in at night. Also make sure you buy an outdoor extension cord that stays pliable when frozen. Most so called outdoor extension cords get real stiff when temps drop below freezing which will be just one more thing to annoy you when trying to hit the road in the morning.
These are my tires, and my SUV

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska