Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2008, 01:41 AM

26,506 posts, read 36,370,326 times

Advertisements

Those were taken in Klawock today at about 3 PM. Klawock is on Prince of Wales Island on the panhandle.

Sometimes we have winters here with no snow at all but these past couple of years have been an exception to that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2008, 01:44 AM

1,331 posts, read 2,985,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Those were taken in Klawock today at about 3 PM. Klawock is on Prince of Wales Island on the panhandle.

Sometimes we have winters here with no snow at all but these past couple of years have been an exception to that.
No snow at all in Alaska? Forgive my obvious ignorance but that seems like a contradiction-in-terms. I'm hoping that either Wasilla/Palmer or Anchorage experiences some significant snowfall. I hate the weather here in San Jose and can't wait to do some skiing(where I don't have to drive to Lake Tahoe and spend WAY too money). God I hate this state.

Ahh, I see. You're down where the climate is much more temperate than the rest of the state. Sorry.

Old 02-10-2008, 01:50 AM

Well, I am currently on the most southernmost part of Alaska. It's a huge state and of course the weather varies--but down here we often get winters with none or very little snow. It's a maritime climate pretty much influenced by the gulf stream--more rain and wind than anything.

Anchorage/Wasilla is another story--they do get snow there though in recent years they have had to move the start of the Iditarod to Willow because of lack of decent snow due to global warming.

Old 02-10-2008, 01:53 AM

LOL--I recall one year up North--I'd been trapped in my cabin all winter and spring long when the Prince of Wales was a tiny thing---looked out my window one June morning when I was living on the banks of the Susitna--saw snow falling and literally started to cry.

I got over it though.

Old 02-10-2008, 01:56 AM

Quote:
Anchorage/Wasilla is another story--they do get snow there though in recent years they have had to move the start of the Iditarod to Willow because of lack of decent snow due to global warming.
Lol, good one.

The only global warming happening is when Al Gore opens his mouth. Honestly, read the article that I cited several posts above. It proves just how ridiculous this whole subject really is. Global climate cycles are measured in hundreds and thousands of years. This hysteria is just another tactic of idiot "progressive" politicians and overzealous environmentalists in order to exert more control over people's lives and raise taxes. That's it.

Believe me, I live in the absolute den of insane liberal lunacy. Hence the reason that my family and I are getting the hell out of here.

Old 02-10-2008, 02:07 AM

Well, good luck to you. I wish I knew the answers; but I don't. My degree is in botany and not in meteorology...so I really can't come to any scientific conclusions.

It does bother me though that so much of the "research" is funded by the oil companies.

Old 02-10-2008, 02:16 AM

2,628 posts, read 6,856,452 times
I didn't know you were a botany major, Metla! That's cool. My degree [will be] in Marine Biology, which doesn't give me the expertise to say much other than whales like to live in water and salmon spawn then die.
However, you would be hard pressed to find anyone in Alaska that does not realize that our climate is changing rapidly. We can see it in the glaciers, in the snowfall amounts, everywhere. No amount of oil-funded research that you can post will change that, Classic.
Now that I've said my share, I shall be off. There are cookies in the oven.

Old 02-10-2008, 02:17 AM

Quote:
Well, good luck to you. I wish I knew the answers; but I don't. My degree is in botany and not in meteorology...so I really can't come to any scientific conclusions.

It does bother me though that so much of the "research" is funded by the oil companies.
That is a misconception. Also, just who do you think gives these bought-off "scientists" their research grants? The very same "progressive" governments that will use their junk science to justify raising taxes and imposing new regulations to fight a "threat" that simply doesn't exist.

I know that I'm being a pain-in-the-behind but this issue is of the biggest and potentially most economically destructive frauds in human history. I'm not exaggerating. Just look at those idiots at the the UN and all of the rest of the clueless Euro-weenies who are so eager to destroy their economies to combat a natural heating-cooling cycle of the Earth. It truly boggles my mind.

Think about it. How many thousands of centuries has the Earth been experiencing cyclical temperatures and now because a few ideologically or research grant driven "scientists" decide that the we've warmed a few tenths of a degree, let's start crippling the economy and raising taxes?

Do you see just how completely insane this whole thing is? The Industrial Revolution happened less than 200 years ago and for us to think that we're having a drastic impact on the climate is not only moronic, it's actually arrogant.

There, rant over. Can't....stand.....tree-hugging.....lies.....too.....much.....longer.

Old 02-10-2008, 02:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xa'at View Post
I didn't know you were a botany major, Metla! That's cool. My degree [will be] in Marine Biology, which doesn't give me the expertise to say much other than whales like to live in water and salmon spawn then die.
However, you would be hard pressed to find anyone in Alaska that does not realize that our climate is changing rapidly. We can see it in the glaciers, in the snowfall amounts, everywhere. No amount of oil-funded research that you can post will change that, Classic.
Now that I've said my share, I shall be off. There are cookies in the oven.
Xa"at, do your own research. You're being lied to, in a fashion that makes my head hurt. There is no evidence, none, that any perceived increase of a few tenths of a degree is having any impact on global temps. And even less evidence than any of the aforementioned BS can be attributed to humans.

Honestly, I love talking to you two but open your eyes, do your own research, and realize that you're being handed the biggest crock of BS in contemporary times.

Old 02-10-2008, 02:22 AM

2,628 posts, read 6,856,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic Satch View Post
Can't....stand.....tree-hugging.....lies.....too.....much.....longer.

Buck up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska