Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2008, 07:34 PM

1,331 posts, read 2,985,362 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
The Panda Chinese restaurant is suppose to be the best in Anchorage, and in the top 100 Chinese restaurants in the US. There are a lot of Asian restaurants in south central Alaska. In Wasilla alone there are at least four Thai restaurants.
Wow, excellent. And yep, the wife are I are looking into moving to Wasilla. The housing prices are lower than Eagle River and the scenery seems to be just as good. I also get the impression that buying a home in Wasilla may be a good long-term investment, the current real estate crisis notwithstanding.

We're well aware that Alaska is a solid red state. You cannot believe just how crazily insane the people are around here. Bay Area politicos are actually considering imposing a $.50 surcharge on every gallon of gas so that they can implement myriad of zany(and utterly useless) measures to fight that nonexistent threat known as "global warming." I'm not joking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2008, 08:46 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,813,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic Satch View Post
Bay Area politicos are actually considering imposing a $.50 surcharge on every gallon of gas so that they can implement myriad of zany(and utterly useless) measures to fight that nonexistent threat known as "global warming." I'm not joking.
Global warming? I thought this was just another climate cycle we were going through. I guess everything these days needs a catchy phrase.

Old 01-28-2008, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingowl View Post
Global warming? I thought this was just another climate cycle we were going through. I guess everything these days needs a catchy phrase.
The only true global warming that's happening is when Al Gore opens his lying trap.

Old 01-28-2008, 08:53 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,813,890 times
Quote:
The only true global warming that's happening is when Al Gore opens his lying trap.
I haven't seen Al Gore in awhile. We have enough homegrown politicos down this way to make up for him though.

Old 01-29-2008, 12:13 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,355,292 times
Quote:
Wow, excellent. And yep, the wife are I are looking into moving to Wasilla. The housing prices are lower than Eagle River and the scenery seems to be just as good. I also get the impression that buying a home in Wasilla may be a good long-term investment, the current real estate crisis notwithstanding.

We're well aware that Alaska is a solid red state. You cannot believe just how crazily insane the people are around here. Bay Area politicos are actually considering imposing a $.50 surcharge on every gallon of gas so that they can implement myriad of zany(and utterly useless) measures to fight that nonexistent threat known as "global warming." I'm not joking.
The Mat-Su Valley area is still growing faster than anywhere else in Alaska, albeit at a slightly slower pace than two years ago. For a while the population growth in the valley was 51.7% (see Greater Wasilla Chamber of Commerce (http://www.wasillachamber.org/wasilla/population.htm - broken link)). The job growth rate between 2000 and 2006 has been 46.23% (see MONEY Magazine: Best places to live 2007: Wasilla, AK snapshot).

If at all possible, I would recommend trying to find work in Wasilla or Palmer. If you are like 30% of the Mat-Su Valley residents you will end up driving into Anchorage every day for work and that just isn't any fun. Typically, it is an hour drive each way under perfect conditions. The last couple weeks it has taken me 2 to 2.5 hours each way because of the snow and icy road conditions.

Housing prices are still over-inflated slightly, but it is a buyer's market and you should be able to find a nice 2,000+ sq. ft. home on an acre for under $200K. Property taxes are higher than what CNNMoney.com is reporting, currently at 14.3 mils. Hopefully people will not vote for so many bonds in the next election and that will help keep our property taxes lower than Anchorage.

Old 01-29-2008, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
The Mat-Su Valley area is still growing faster than anywhere else in Alaska, albeit at a slightly slower pace than two years ago. For a while the population growth in the valley was 51.7% (see Greater Wasilla Chamber of Commerce (http://www.wasillachamber.org/wasilla/population.htm - broken link)). The job growth rate between 2000 and 2006 has been 46.23% (see MONEY Magazine: Best places to live 2007: Wasilla, AK snapshot).

If at all possible, I would recommend trying to find work in Wasilla or Palmer. If you are like 30% of the Mat-Su Valley residents you will end up driving into Anchorage every day for work and that just isn't any fun. Typically, it is an hour drive each way under perfect conditions. The last couple weeks it has taken me 2 to 2.5 hours each way because of the snow and icy conditions.

Housing prices are still over-inflated slightly, but it is a buyer's market and you should be able to find a nice 2,000+ sq. ft. home on an acre for under $200K. Property taxes are higher than what CNNMoney.com is reporting, currently at 14.3 mils. Hopefully people will not vote for so many bonds in the next election and that will help keep our property taxes lower than Anchorage.
Yeah, I was a bit shocked to see the property taxes. They're pretty darn high. The wife and I both hope to get a job right in town. She's a pharmacist so hopefully it will be a bit easier for her.

We're still considering renting for a bit before buying. I guess we'll play it by ear.

Old 01-29-2008, 12:47 PM

1,252 posts, read 1,038,551 times
Quote:
.....that nonexistent threat known as "global warming." I'm not joking.
State of the Union speech highlights:

Bush hung his fellow wingers out to dry, (some were no doubt caught off guard that it was now OK to admit anthropogenic climate change is real)

Some will show no consternation when their beloved Preznit stands before them on national television and tacitly admits that he was wrong and those 'others' were right.

So all of you climate change deniers and winger naysayers, just try something new for once: just be an adult and admit you were wrong, admit you got played.

If you don't like being wrong, direct your anger at the fools and corporate shills who've been lying to you for two decades.

Seriously, grow effin up, demonstrate a shred of that personal responsibility you're always lecturing the rest of us about, and apologize to the millions of people from every walk of life and all across the political spectrum, the ones you eagerly called liars and hoaxers, or worse.

You might discover that addressing anthropogenic climate change in a realistic and fundamental way comes with some fantastic fringe benefits for all of us.

Well worth the price of your precious ego choking down a heaping helping of some very well deserved crow.

Old 02-02-2008, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by User 2 View Post
State of the Union speech highlights:

Bush hung his fellow wingers out to dry, (some were no doubt caught off guard that it was now OK to admit anthropogenic climate change is real)

Some will show no consternation when their beloved Preznit stands before them on national television and tacitly admits that he was wrong and those 'others' were right.

So all of you climate change deniers and winger naysayers, just try something new for once: just be an adult and admit you were wrong, admit you got played.

If you don't like being wrong, direct your anger at the fools and corporate shills who've been lying to you for two decades.

Seriously, grow effin up, demonstrate a shred of that personal responsibility you're always lecturing the rest of us about, and apologize to the millions of people from every walk of life and all across the political spectrum, the ones you eagerly called liars and hoaxers, or worse.

You might discover that addressing anthropogenic climate change in a realistic and fundamental way comes with some fantastic fringe benefits for all of us.

Well worth the price of your precious ego choking down a heaping helping of some very well deserved crow.
Anthropogenic global warming is a gigantic crock of bull. Plain and simple. And, please shelve your ridiculously pompous and arrogant attitude. You haven't been able to display one single shred of evidence or argument that would justify such a demeanor. The fact that you actually believe this nonsense and choose to cite nutty "progressive" websites to bolter your points doesn't exactly lend credence to your claims.

Global Warming: The Origin and Nature of the Alleged Scientific Consensus

Meteorologist Likens Fear of Global Warming to 'Religious Belief' -- 12/02/2004 (broken link)

Global warming? Look at the numbers

Last edited by Classic Satch; 02-02-2008 at 10:34 PM..

Old 02-02-2008, 10:18 PM

26,506 posts, read 36,370,326 times
OMFG I can't believe you did one of your trademark attacks on User's sources and then posted a GARY NOVACK article. LOL--I hope you're on some good hooch tonight, Classic, 'cause I'd hate to think you'd actually fall for this crackpot when you're sober.

Old 02-02-2008, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
OMFG I can't believe you did one of your trademark attacks on User's sources and then posted a GARY NOVACK article. LOL--I hope you're on some good hooch tonight, Classic, 'cause I'd hate to think you'd actually fall for this crackpot when you're sober.
Lol, I was just a bit too lazy to track down some of my other sources that I usually use. I haven't touched anything tonight. However, I don't think very highly of Mr User 2. I think he is chock full of what makes the grass grow green. And the reason I get a bit testy is because of his entirely undeserved condescending attitude, in addition to his leftist BS. But, I'll leave this alone. Back to discussing far more important matters.

Edit: I've replaced the aforementioned piece two articles from MIT climatologist Richard Lindzen.

Last edited by Classic Satch; 02-02-2008 at 10:35 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska