U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2015, 12:36 AM

166 posts, read 273,781 times

Advertisements

I love the long summer days up here where it seems like you can do so many things every day. The weather is mild and rarely too hot or too cold to do what you want outside. Never thought I'd say this, but I'll miss these midnight sun days if we ever leave Alaska.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2015, 09:49 AM

2,630 posts, read 1,043,664 times
I used to travel for the Navy (as a civilian) to Alaska for business. The first time I was in Anchorage during the summer I noticed the flowers that were planted everywhere - the colors were shockingly bright and amazing. I asked one of the local people on the team I was working with if there was some special fertilizer they used, and he replied that it was simply the lack of pollution. I remember the long days as well - therw were blackout shades on the windows at the Air Force base where we stayed (nice BOQ!), otherwise I would never have gotten any sleep. However, the long days also meant getting a LOT of work done on-site out in the Aleutians, which was a big plus. Unfortunately, the weather out there wasn't as great. The horizontal rain gets old fast!

Old 07-09-2015, 09:56 AM

10,662 posts, read 9,563,921 times
My wife and I came up May June last year. Her first trip. On the 29th Anchorage lost power and it snowed to about 5000 feet. The wind lifted her up and pushed her down the sidewalk....towards Nordstroms. She said 'This is ridiculous". After that the weeks were drop dead gorgeous from Talkeetna to Seward. Glad too as after Day 1 she must have thought she married the wrong guy. LOL...

Old 07-09-2015, 11:31 AM

4,044 posts, read 2,818,266 times
Hubby and I, and two more couples are planning a trip to Alaska next summer, touring around with our travel trailers for two to three weeks or so. What month is the best time for good weather and not too many mosquitoes?

Also, if there is one or two places (eg: city, park, camping area) that tourists shouldn't miss, which would it be and why?
BTW, we'd love to do a bit of fishing and gold panning. Yes, we probably sound like all the crazy tourists that show up and invade your peace and quiet in the summer lol.

Old 07-09-2015, 05:50 PM

26,166 posts, read 12,728,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lv2hoop
I love the long summer days up here where it seems like you can do so many things every day. The weather is mild and rarely too hot or too cold to do what you want outside. Never thought I'd say this, but I'll miss these midnight sun days if we ever leave Alaska.
I hear ya!!!!

I just wonder what its like to go outside @ midnight and have sun!!!!!! (Mcdonalds @ 1am,totally light out)

Ah man!!

Old 07-09-2015, 10:59 PM

306 posts, read 300,857 times
MgC has had temps in the mid 80 for several day this summer. I prefer about 10 degrees cooler. Right now in spokane an it was in the mid 90's feels like a blowtorch

Old 07-10-2015, 05:48 AM
TKO

1,571 posts, read 2,477,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
Hubby and I, and two more couples are planning a trip to Alaska next summer, touring around with our travel trailers for two to three weeks or so. What month is the best time for good weather and not too many mosquitoes?

Also, if there is one or two places (eg: city, park, camping area) that tourists shouldn't miss, which would it be and why?
BTW, we'd love to do a bit of fishing and gold panning. Yes, we probably sound like all the crazy tourists that show up and invade your peace and quiet in the summer lol.
I spent 2 1/2 months touring around in my travel trailer. Hit everything from Denali to Homer plus Valdez and the ride home to New Mexico. Took the ferry up and bought the trailer there though. I'm going to write a lengthy missive, you can pick and choose what sounds like a good area for you and I'd be happy to answer more specific questions. Basically three areas to consider imo, the Kenai, Matsu Valley and the Denali Parks Highway area.

I found the later summer to be better than the earlier. Not as hot. It was hot in '13 like it is this year and there were fires all over. As for mosquitos the only really safe place from the little buggers that I found the whole summer was the RV park in Kenai on the bluff, it was also nice a cool there no matter what the temp was like 10 miles inland. It gets, to me at least, surprisingly hot in AK at times. The beach is wonderful, my dog loved it. Bald eagles flying by the bluff at eye level was a bonus. Check out Clam Gulch sans the trailers if you have 4x4s. Very neat seeing the erratics (huge boulders dropped by glaciers a long time ago) disappearing into the sea.

You just to accept that mosquitos are going to be there and come prepared, they're everywhere and cannot be avoided. That said, I found it easy, if not pleasantly smelling to deal with them via bug dope. The smell of deet will always remind of your trip, silver lining. Just make sure to stay away from the Kenai when the locals get to do there dipnetting, the place is overrun, and really should be left to the locals who are filling their larders. You can check with ADGF which has an awesome website and the most extensive and up to date fishing report I've ever seen.

Other wise I enjoyed the Kenai Peninsula the most of the places I went and there is bucu fishing and plenty of knowledgeable guides as well as places you can fish without one (Kenai River, Kasilof River, Russian River. Use the ferry at the Russian at least once, it's a neat experience. Soldotna and Homer in particular are places you want to stay for a few days. I found Seward was doable in a day trip for what I wanted. Homer for Halibut and the restaurants/bars (Salty Dawg is something else), Soldotna for the Wildlife Refuge and all the river fishing around it. The campground at Johnson Lake near Kasilof was very nice, had decent trout fishing from the bank and was relaxed (kind of a nice break for me at least) compared to the salmon fisheries. Had a momma moose and twin calves in my camp for a while, which was neat to see...from inside the trailer.

Make reservations at the campgrounds at Denali as they can be crowded but see that for sure even though it's a journey from everywhere else, it's the highlight of the state as far as tourists go, it's an all day affair so you'll need to stay at least one night probably two.

Willow Creek (Matsu Valley) is another place you can fish close to a campground, though it's camping in a parking lot basically, but the fishing was good and easy to access. That's the key, there aren't that many places you can walk from your campground to access fishing. Where you can is full of people. It's unavoidable, google combat fishing for a look at what it's like. The RV park in Houston is not too far and it's very nice plus I liked the people. Houston also has their own city campground which is ok but not great and has reasonable dumping rates (I used that a bunch of times).

Check out the Matanuska Glacier as a day trip from camping in the Matsu Valley and hike up to it if hiking is in the cards. It's not too far and not a hard hike but cool to be at the base of a glacier. If you can, check out Hatcher Pass (without the trailers). It's an incredible half day drive with a really neat lodge/restaurant at the top of the mountain to end off your trip if you start on the Willow side. I enjoyed that day a lot.

For the most part I spent my time between the Kenai and the Matsu Valley which are the closest areas to services, etc and have good fishing and neat stuff to see. Everything else is very far AK is a humongous state. I went to a few of those places because I had the time but a couple weeks, you don't want to spend too much time driving I imagine. I'm sure I missed some things because even 3 months wasn't long enough. If I only had a couple weeks I think I would do the Kenai. I can't say enough to stay away during dipnet season though, it would ruin it. No gold panning, I was more of a gold distributor, so I'll let someone else chime in on that.

Last edited by TKO; 07-10-2015 at 06:03 AM..

Old 07-13-2015, 09:43 AM

4,044 posts, read 2,818,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKO View Post
I spent 2 1/2 months touring around in my travel trailer. Hit everything from Denali to Homer plus Valdez and the ride home to New Mexico. Took the ferry up and bought the trailer there though. I'm going to write a lengthy missive, you can pick and choose what sounds like a good area for you and I'd be happy to answer more specific questions. Basically three areas to consider imo, the Kenai, Matsu Valley and the Denali Parks Highway area.

I found the later summer to be better than the earlier. Not as hot. It was hot in '13 like it is this year and there were fires all over. As for mosquitos the only really safe place from the little buggers that I found the whole summer was the RV park in Kenai on the bluff, it was also nice a cool there no matter what the temp was like 10 miles inland. It gets, to me at least, surprisingly hot in AK at times. The beach is wonderful, my dog loved it. Bald eagles flying by the bluff at eye level was a bonus. Check out Clam Gulch sans the trailers if you have 4x4s. Very neat seeing the erratics (huge boulders dropped by glaciers a long time ago) disappearing into the sea.

You just to accept that mosquitos are going to be there and come prepared, they're everywhere and cannot be avoided. That said, I found it easy, if not pleasantly smelling to deal with them via bug dope. The smell of deet will always remind of your trip, silver lining. Just make sure to stay away from the Kenai when the locals get to do there dipnetting, the place is overrun, and really should be left to the locals who are filling their larders. You can check with ADGF which has an awesome website and the most extensive and up to date fishing report I've ever seen.

Other wise I enjoyed the Kenai Peninsula the most of the places I went and there is bucu fishing and plenty of knowledgeable guides as well as places you can fish without one (Kenai River, Kasilof River, Russian River. Use the ferry at the Russian at least once, it's a neat experience. Soldotna and Homer in particular are places you want to stay for a few days. I found Seward was doable in a day trip for what I wanted. Homer for Halibut and the restaurants/bars (Salty Dawg is something else), Soldotna for the Wildlife Refuge and all the river fishing around it. The campground at Johnson Lake near Kasilof was very nice, had decent trout fishing from the bank and was relaxed (kind of a nice break for me at least) compared to the salmon fisheries. Had a momma moose and twin calves in my camp for a while, which was neat to see...from inside the trailer.

Make reservations at the campgrounds at Denali as they can be crowded but see that for sure even though it's a journey from everywhere else, it's the highlight of the state as far as tourists go, it's an all day affair so you'll need to stay at least one night probably two.

Willow Creek (Matsu Valley) is another place you can fish close to a campground, though it's camping in a parking lot basically, but the fishing was good and easy to access. That's the key, there aren't that many places you can walk from your campground to access fishing. Where you can is full of people. It's unavoidable, google combat fishing for a look at what it's like. The RV park in Houston is not too far and it's very nice plus I liked the people. Houston also has their own city campground which is ok but not great and has reasonable dumping rates (I used that a bunch of times).

Check out the Matanuska Glacier as a day trip from camping in the Matsu Valley and hike up to it if hiking is in the cards. It's not too far and not a hard hike but cool to be at the base of a glacier. If you can, check out Hatcher Pass (without the trailers). It's an incredible half day drive with a really neat lodge/restaurant at the top of the mountain to end off your trip if you start on the Willow side. I enjoyed that day a lot.

For the most part I spent my time between the Kenai and the Matsu Valley which are the closest areas to services, etc and have good fishing and neat stuff to see. Everything else is very far AK is a humongous state. I went to a few of those places because I had the time but a couple weeks, you don't want to spend too much time driving I imagine. I'm sure I missed some things because even 3 months wasn't long enough. If I only had a couple weeks I think I would do the Kenai. I can't say enough to stay away during dipnet season though, it would ruin it. No gold panning, I was more of a gold distributor, so I'll let someone else chime in on that.
TKO, thanks so much for all this helpful information! Much appreciated!

Old 07-13-2015, 10:58 AM
TKO

1,571 posts, read 2,477,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
TKO, thanks so much for all this helpful information! Much appreciated!
You're welcome! It was a pleasant undertaking reminding myself of that summer. That's why I spend a little time in this forum even though I don't live in AK. You're going to have a great time.

I know it's a lot but a 2 other things I thought to mention, Eklutna Lake and the campground there, near Anchorage, was beautiful. The RV parks in Anchorage are all lousy and too expensive.

Last edited by TKO; 07-13-2015 at 11:36 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska