Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2015, 01:54 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,686,990 times

Advertisements

I don't think I'll bother offering advice anymore to people wanting to move to Alaska. Just not worth my time. You're welcome, and good luck. Be sure to save enough to get back to Illinois after it doesn't work out.

Looks like you've pretty much decided on Colorado anyway.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/color...ing-il-co.html

Oh, and forget what I said about Chena. I doubt Bernie would allow a pit bull on the property.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 07-19-2015 at 02:09 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2015, 05:55 PM

9 posts, read 12,083 times
I did mention in this post that Colorado was another option that I am considering, not sure why you seem so sure I've made up my mind already as I asked in this post for pros and cons of BOTH Alaska and Colorado.

Old 07-19-2015, 06:18 PM

Perhaps it was this statement that gave me that impression:

Quote:
My original plan was to move to Alaska, I'm just not sure I could deal with the darkness and mosquitos
The use of the word "was" implies that you've moved on from your original plan.

No one here can guarantee you work or a place to live. Housing is expensive and difficult to find...sometimes impossible. And something tells me you're probably even aware of what passing through Canada via car entails.

Anyway, that doesn't really matter. I'm just tired of wasting my time looking things up that I think might be helpful to people and not even getting a thank you in return. Best of luck whatever you do, but I wouldn't suggest showing up in either place without a job and adequate funding for housing.

ETA -- this isn't for the OP but rather for others who may be thinking about following the dream to Alaska. Finding a place to live is more difficult than finding work. Landlords don't want to rent to unemployed people fresh out of the lower 48, and available rentals are scarce enough in most parts of the state so that landlords can pick and choose. Most low level jobs don't pay enough to cover average housing and food costs.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 07-19-2015 at 06:36 PM..

Old 07-19-2015, 10:32 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,683,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
I don't think I'll bother offering advice anymore to people wanting to move to Alaska. Just not worth my time. You're welcome, and good luck. Be sure to save enough to get back to Illinois after it doesn't work out.

Looks like you've pretty much decided on Colorado anyway.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/color...ing-il-co.html

Oh, and forget what I said about Chena. I doubt Bernie would allow a pit bull on the property.

Thanks for pointing that out. It gets frusturating offering advice to people that are only daydreamers. Or that say they wanna move in 2,3,4,5 or 6 years.

Old 07-20-2015, 07:45 AM
TKO

4,153 posts, read 4,275,364 times
Not directed at anyone specific just to the AK board in general which I've come to really appreciate.

When you're young you play around with life changing ideas like they're pieces to a jigsaw puzzle. Not much thought is given to the shape of the pieces at first just the color. But then you realize that some combinations are foolish in their geometry and you remember that later and it's becomes useful life experience even if you don't try to mash the pieces together.

No reason to think her inquiries were manufactured with the intent to irritate. Just some semi-serious pondering of what kind of life she might like.

The people you, the board, dissuade from considering AK gain just as big benefit from your musings as do the people who actually are going to show up. Even if it's not as satisfying. Persevere, it does have value.

At the same time, after having spent a couple years checking these pages, I've seen that these inquiries never cease and while some are from people that are very serious about it, most are not. After answering probably hundreds of them it can't help but get tiresome, I would think. I salute you for the patience you have. I've seen the "fed up not going to help people anymore" thing said before...by good knowledgeable down to earth people (the kind whose advice is very valuable), who a week later are helping people once again. Kudos!

Hope I don't come off as patronizing. I just mean to give credit and maybe a little encouragement. I get a lot out of reading the reality smack downs some of these people deserve and righteously receive.

I like the AK forum it really has a unique flavor for CD.

Old 07-20-2015, 12:36 PM

I know that. Nonetheless, I'm tired of looking things up for people and not even getting a thank you; this wasn't really about the post in the CO forum. And I can't, in good conscience, encourage someone with no money and no real job skills to move to AK.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 07-20-2015 at 01:52 PM..

Old 07-21-2015, 03:28 AM

1,004 posts, read 1,188,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
I know that. Nonetheless, I'm tired of looking things up for people and not even getting a thank you; this wasn't really about the post in the CO forum. And I can't, in good conscience, encourage someone with no money and no real job skills to move to AK.
And if you tell people to google it them selves you get blasted by the owners!

Old 07-21-2015, 10:56 AM

It always puzzles me when some asks a question here and someone else posts the results of a Google search, but happens all the time.

Old 07-22-2015, 07:28 AM

195 posts, read 278,329 times
I too once lived in Illinois and then moved to Alaska. Colorado was on my short-list of places I was considering (along with the UP of Michigan, Washington, and Oregon), so I feel like I might have a little insight. First, have you visited both CO and AK? I visited everywhere I was interested in over the course of a couple of years. I love CO, but realized that the areas where I would be looking for work were probably a little too populated for me. Also, it seemed like the job market was saturated with 20-somethings, fresh out of college.

Prior to coming to live here I spent some summers during college working seasonally in western AK. Any chance this is an option for you? Seasonal jobs are always easier to come by and you are more likely to get hired for a year-round position if you are already in town. I ended up landing a job in Juneau. I mention that because, while Anchorage and Fairbanks are the most likely places you'll find work, you also don't want to keep yourself from checking out the other towns.

Honestly, housing is going to be your biggest issue and shocker coming from IL. The prices, for starters, will absolutely blow your mind because what you get for your money is nothing like it is in the Midwest. Also, I have one dog…and he's a service dog…and it was still nearly impossible to find housing. Housing is tight in the entire state and landlords don't need to rent to you. Keep that in mind because I know people who have accepted jobs here and had to move away in the first few months because they never found housing, especially pet-friendly housing. The other state you mentioned is going to have MUCH better housing accommodations for someone with a dog or two.

Have you considered any other states? In the Midwest you could look into Northern Minnesota and the UP of Michigan. Both are isolated and beautiful areas of the US. There are also places like Montana, Idaho, and Washington that might fit your criteria. Make sure you check out all of your options and don't piegon-hole yourself into a state/town that doesn't fit your job or housing needs. Let me know if you have any specific IL to AK questions that I can answer.

Old 07-22-2015, 08:26 AM

2,672 posts, read 2,624,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HannahTravels View Post
Have you considered any other states? In the Midwest you could look into Northern Minnesota and the UP of Michigan. Both are isolated and beautiful areas of the US. There are also places like Montana, Idaho, and Washington that might fit your criteria. Make sure you check out all of your options and don't piegon-hole yourself into a state/town that doesn't fit your job or housing needs. Let me know if you have any specific IL to AK questions that I can answer.
The OP may want to consider Maine as well. It has reasonable cost of living, cooler weather, and it's fairly rural though there are areas (e.g. Portland) that are more urban. It is an older population, though, something to consider since the OP is 25.

Best of luck to you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska