Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2015, 02:35 AM

6,895 posts, read 5,855,832 times

Advertisements

Alternative plan: let's hire Santa Claus and his reindeer to handle Amazon Prime deliveries during his off-season. North Pole is conveniently centrally located.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2015, 02:50 AM

962 posts, read 630,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
Alternative plan: let's hire Santa Claus and his reindeer to handle Amazon Prime deliveries during his off-season. North Pole is conveniently centrally located.
I think I mentioned that a couple of weeks ago. There's a town named after the North Pole that's built with a Christmas design to it. That's one of the places that should become at least a moderately sized city with its boundaries extending southward, probably about 300K. It would be an attraction to those that would like to celebrate Christmas in June, it would be beneficial for minors whose parents can't afford (or choose not to) buy anything major for their children outside of birthdays and Christmas. And just about every person there can have Christmas designs outside their house all year long.

It can also be an attraction to people in the state that would get a lot of visits if they want to see Santa Claus, mostly small children.

But yeah, a Santa Claus should be stationed there for Amazon deliveries from January through September (when demands for Christmas gifts and shopping are lower) so that shipping costs won't be so high. And shipping from long distances are expensive enough (and lengthy) as it is. Last year I needed a replacement battery for a cell phone in like early June 2014, being shipped from another country. I didn't get it until the end of September.

Old 09-01-2015, 02:51 AM

26,639 posts, read 36,686,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by It is 57 below zero View Post
Shipping costs could also be reduced if there was at least a decent sized city or two in Yukon, to at least have a drivable pathway to get goods to Alaska and nearby infrastructure to support the state.
We need a good highway first. Got any ideas about how to build one on tundra?

Cities can't thrive on individuals simply providing services to one another. We need a few solid industries for our cities. What do you suggest?

Old 09-01-2015, 02:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by It is 57 below zero View Post
I think I mentioned that a couple of weeks ago. There's a town named after the North Pole that's built with a Christmas design to it. That's one of the places that should become at least a moderately sized city with its boundaries extending southward, probably about 300K. It would be an attraction to those that would like to celebrate Christmas in June, it would be beneficial for minors whose parents can't afford (or choose not to) buy anything major for their children outside of birthdays and Christmas. And just about every person there can have Christmas designs outside their house all year long.

It can also be an attraction to people in the state that would get a lot of visits if they want to see Santa Claus, mostly small children.

But yeah, a Santa Claus should be stationed there for Amazon deliveries from January through September (when demands for Christmas gifts and shopping are lower) so that shipping costs won't be so high. And shipping from long distances are expensive enough (and lengthy) as it is. Last year I needed a replacement battery for a cell phone in like early June 2014, being shipped from another country. I didn't get it until the end of September.
Why stop there? All the population of North Pole should dress as elves, except the mayor, who should dress as Santa Claus, while the mayor's husband or wife dresses as Mrs. Claus. There should also be snow-making machines running all summer to give the place a proper wintry feel. Or perhaps it'd be more efficient to just sprinkle meth all over...snow melts, after all.

Old 09-01-2015, 03:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Cities can't thrive on individuals simply providing services to one another. We need a few solid industries for our cities. What do you suggest?
Elves. General elfing, as well as more specialized elfing such as the forging of magic swords.

Old 09-01-2015, 03:08 AM

Speaking of Christmas, I forgot to add: I feel like every year, it's easy to transition into the Christmas feeling but not easy to transition out. So around December 31st of every year, it kind of feels boring and dull and barren during January and February, once all the Christmas designs and everything are taken down. It's one of the reasons I like late fall better than winter.

Old 09-01-2015, 03:15 AM

Quote:
Why stop there? All the population of North Pole should dress as elves, except the mayor, who should dress as Santa Claus, while the mayor's husband or wife dresses as Mrs. Claus. There should also be snow-making machines running all summer to give the place a proper wintry feel. Or perhaps it'd be more efficient to just sprinkle meth all over...snow melts, after all.
In that particular region, maybe it should also be legal for once to have school offered on Christmas as an attendance day (if they don't have to travel far to see other family). There should be at least some attendance there if the city is already Christmas based every other day in the year. Christmas break for its K-12 school system could be just reduced to one week, for New Year's, and have the off days from Christmas replaced elsewhere, like a week in October instead.

Old 09-01-2015, 03:22 AM

They already go to school on Christmas in North Pole. It's mandatory. Students who do not attend are stiffly penalized.

Old 09-01-2015, 03:38 AM

Quote:
They already go to school on Christmas in North Pole. It's mandatory. Students who do not attend are stiffly penalized.
Currently, North Pole schools operate on the same schedule as Fairbanks.

Alaska law requires 180 days to be offered each school year, or at least 170 if some of the days are replaced by teacher work days. The statute also gives a list of holidays that aren't allowed to be used as school days, I think they are New Year's, Memorial Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving break, and Christmas break, which are mandatory to have off. http://www.touchngo.com/lglcntr/akst...Section050.htm

I was just saying, in that case, since Christmas would already be advocated 365 days a year in the region, it wouldn't be necessary to have the day off and the thrill on that day wouldn't be much different than any other day (unless they are visiting family further away).

Last edited by It is 57 below zero; 09-01-2015 at 03:51 AM..

Old 09-01-2015, 03:49 AM

Wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska