Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2015, 08:33 PM

2,993 posts, read 4,301,121 times

Advertisements

My wife works at hospitals and is usually offered a relocation "bonus". She was once offered a pretty sweet relocation bonus in Palmer/Wasilla but it came with a three year contract. If you decided to leave before that was up you were on the hook to pay it back. I think sometimes they offer one, two and three year relocation bonuses if you sign on. Just something to think about. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2015, 08:36 PM

21 posts, read 31,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.7traveler View Post
My wife works at hospitals and is usually offered a relocation "bonus". She was once offered a pretty sweet relocation bonus in Palmer/Wasilla but it came with a three year contract. If you decided to leave before that was up you were on the hook to pay it back. I think sometimes they offer one, two and three year relocation bonuses if you sign on. Just something to think about. Good luck!
Thanks for your input! That's good to know and will give my husband something to ask about when he negotiates his contract!

Old 08-10-2015, 08:39 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,812,105 times
Is he looking to work at the Soldotna Hospital?

Old 08-10-2015, 08:40 PM

Central Peninsula Hospital I believe it's called.

Old 08-11-2015, 01:43 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,812,105 times
Yeah it's in Soldotna, so I call it the Soldotna Hospital! I have a good friend working there.

Old 08-11-2015, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rance View Post
Yeah it's in Soldotna, so I call it the Soldotna Hospital! I have a good friend working there.
Well if your friend works around the physical therapy department, he or she might be meeting my husband in a few months. We are flying up for interviews around September 17-20th.

Old 08-11-2015, 04:10 PM

1,931 posts, read 2,168,614 times
It sounds like you guys have basic starter stuff. My advise as someone that just moved up here three years ago with one small child and a fully furnished 4 bedroom home is to sell everything and start all over. Unless you have family heirlooms stuff. We had just bought a $4k king bed 10 months before we moved up here. Kept in storage with all our other stuff (I believe in quality furniture, which sucks to replace, move, or sell) for two of the three years. The first year we kept it all in the house for summer vacations, but decided to rent our house.

After paying for storage and finally selling everything, we broke even. We did barge our vehicle to our village for $2700 and a small trailer was going to cost the same. Not including the gas to drive it across the country. You will be lucky to get 10mpg.

Did it suck selling stuff pennies on the dollar? Sure. Sure did. But it was still more cost efficient. Of course we are living in a fully furnished house, which helped.

Another reason I recommend selling is house size. Houses here are a lot more than lower 48, unless you live in a high real estate area. I do know that our 100k house in GA would be worth about 400K up here.

So if you are already living in a larger house (1500+ sq ft) your rent may be more than you are willing to pay. Then you downsize, but don't have the room for the stuff you brought. Then you have to sell and you will not recoup the shipping costs.

Old 08-11-2015, 04:21 PM

Yes it's becoming clear that we will have to sell everything other than the items we aren't willing to part with: taxidermy heads, guns, bows, and some other hunting equipment. It's going to suck but it is what it is. We are most likely going to have to buy a house since we have two dogs. Nothing is reasonable to rent with two large dogs, might as well pay on a mortgage instead. But we have to be sure we are going to make it work long term. After the interviews in September (which are mostly just to see if we like the area and companies we will be working for) we will know more. I can't commit to moving there unless I can make a good living. I will graduate in October with my Doctor of Chiropractic degree. I have the potential to really live anywhere, and make a very good living in many places. Is the Kenai Peninsula one of those places? I'm not sure, I'm waiting to get some real numbers from the guy who is looking to hire me. My husband's job offer is great, a dream job for him. But unless I can also do well there, it just won't work.

Old 08-11-2015, 06:18 PM

1,931 posts, read 2,168,614 times
In my village/town (off road) we have two chiropractors with a population of 2500. I think you should be ok. Especially if you work for a practice that does insurance work.

Old 08-12-2015, 03:34 PM

If I'm seeing everything there is around Kenai/Soldotna, there are 11 chiropractors in that area. That seems like a lot for that size area. The guy who wants to hire me estimates I would make $40-90k. Such a big range because he said patient load changes seasonally. I'm not sure that is worth it for me. That means my husband with his 2 year degree would be making more than me with my doctorate degree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska