U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2015, 01:33 PM

4,711 posts, read 9,827,517 times

Advertisements

Not sure which show...Yukon Men, maybe.

Anyway, this one guy who supposedly cuts firewood for a living, is going hunting for his winter meat. He keeps saying, "might not survive, if I don't get a moose". I love the mournful voice he uses, LOL.

Meanwhile back at his place, he has at least $50 grand worth of four wheelers, snow machines, a boat with a big Honda on the back. I yell at my TV screen, "Dude, if you don't get a moose, just call a helicopter to take you to the damned store!".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2015, 09:29 PM

106 posts, read 82,626 times
Random here,
I love buying alaska for the houses and scenery as well. And I have this romanticized idea of what it would be like to live in alaska. It's the scenery man.
I also love alaska the last frontier, but I am annoyed by how fake it seems. Why can't a show be interesting simply for the fact that the people live a different way than we do? I want to see the truth, but hollywood thinks that is boring. Someone always has to be in danger or being threatened by starvation. I read the outside mag article about the kilchers! They live near a grocery store! Haha. The scenery gets me every time though. And there are a few ideas here and there for being resourceful.
I'm going to check out the other alaska shows that were mentioned to get my alaska fix. Eventually I'll actually visit.

Old 12-28-2015, 07:49 AM

642 posts, read 711,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nature mama View Post
Random here,
They live near a grocery store! Haha. The scenery gets me every time though. And there are a few ideas here and there for being resourceful.
That's true, but I still think their show is more true-to-life than most. I've always interpreted their living off the land as a choice, and if that's true, I respect that and watch the show like I already do.

Old 12-28-2015, 02:45 PM

729 posts, read 446,039 times
Do you think that their daughter is going to let the family camp out every night or go through any hardships?

Jewel Kilcher (born May 23, 1974)[3] is an American singer-songwriter, guitarist, producer, actress, and author/poet. She has received four Grammy Award nominations and, as of 2008, has sold over 27 million albums worldwide.[4]

Birth name Jewel Kilcher
Born May 23, 1974 (age 41)[1]
Payson, Utah, United States
Origin Homer, Alaska,
United States Genres Pop, folk, pop rock, country
Occupation(s) Singer-songwriter, guitarist, actress, author/poet
Instruments Vocals, guitar, autoharp
Years active 1994–present
Labels Atlantic, Valory

Last edited by Music_Man; 12-28-2015 at 02:49 PM.. Reason: add more info

Old 12-28-2015, 05:44 PM

106 posts, read 82,626 times
Well, in that respect Atz is probably the only one benefitted by that. They seem to be getting a decent amount of money or sponsorships from having the show judging by all the fancy new toys and gear.

Old 12-28-2015, 06:27 PM

1,910 posts, read 2,358,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
Not sure which show...Yukon Men, maybe.

Anyway, this one guy who supposedly cuts firewood for a living, is going hunting for his winter meat. He keeps saying, "might not survive, if I don't get a moose". I love the mournful voice he uses, LOL.

Meanwhile back at his place, he has at least $50 grand worth of four wheelers, snow machines, a boat with a big Honda on the back. I yell at my TV screen, "Dude, if you don't get a moose, just call a helicopter to take you to the damned store!".
I lived in AK back when 4 wheelers/ATV's were just starting to get popular for hunting. It's now gotten to the point where if you don't have an ATV it's damn near impossible to bag a moose, the ATV's chase them back into the higher elevations and off the road system, too far to carry them on foot. When I pointed this out, the amswer was universally "stop whining ad buy a 4 wheeler"

Well genius, the $8K you spend on an ATV buys a lot of beef, and I don't have to get up early.

Up in the Yukon, they eat more caribou anyways. It's a lot more common than moose.

As you suspect, a guy who says he "has" to get a moose is blowing smoke up your aspen.

Old 12-28-2015, 07:08 PM

2 posts, read 2,315 times
Bush People is a staged show. I'm friends with producers and lower end tech guys.
It's 99.9% just a staged show.

Old 12-30-2015, 12:56 AM

628 posts, read 666,278 times
I think people WANT to believe it's a true show. They love a close family who works together. There's no drugs or violence.
The sad part is it's just so not true.
Billy Brown is a grifter and a thief. When he looks into the camera and talks so dramatically about needing food for the winter or how he has a "bush heart" I just want to see him called out for LYING!!!
Discovery has sunk to new lows, they are the National Enquirer of networks.

Old 01-11-2016, 05:32 PM

2,427 posts, read 3,498,498 times
The outcome: 30 days in jail for Billy & Bam-Bam: 'Alaskan Bush People' father and son get 30 days in jail for lying about residency | Alaska Dispatch News
Moral of the story: don't lie on your PFD application. The state will find you, the state will prosecute you.

Old 01-11-2016, 05:51 PM

14 posts, read 7,738 times
So does Billy have a medical issue or what,,,,,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska