U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2017, 05:41 PM

6,281 posts, read 10,886,103 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
Why would they make something like that up?
Ratings. Nothing about the show is real. Just like "Days of Our Lives" or "General Hospital". It's just a soap opera that happened to be filmed in Alaska. Why else would they film her battle with cancer??? Maybe she does have cancer. Maybe not?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2017, 09:48 PM

11,895 posts, read 8,158,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
Ratings. Nothing about the show is real. Just like "Days of Our Lives" or "General Hospital". It's just a soap opera that happened to be filmed in Alaska. Why else would they film her battle with cancer??? Maybe she does have cancer. Maybe not?
I think I remember seeing her initial doctor visit where the did the biopsy. That show is being taken off the air anyway, I think. No reason for them to fake a terminal illness at this point.

Old 07-17-2017, 10:03 PM

18,999 posts, read 24,517,429 times
^Sure there is. They're grifters. Even if the disease is real, they'll milk it for all it's worth.

Old 07-19-2017, 10:20 AM

4,586 posts, read 4,512,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
^Sure there is. They're grifters. Even if the disease is real, they'll milk it for all it's worth.
At least they didn't come to Iowa.

I'm waiting for some reality producer to invade one of the small towns near Amish Country and do a show about a family that raises hogs.

I'm serious! They can inject all sorts of fake drama, including a camp fire scene with a bunch of people who moved from Alaska, California, and Florida complaining about various hipster problems, like they have to go into downtown Des Moines to find a Star Bucks, and they have to get used to fishing for walleye instead of salmon.

Old 07-23-2017, 09:56 AM

11,895 posts, read 8,158,033 times
Quote:
Death by cancer isn't pretty. It doesn't play well on tv. If the network continues to broadcast it, we should all abandon them. I don't care if it pays Billy's bills. We all have morbid curiosity, its part of human nature, but watching an old lady die is fricken sick.

Old 07-24-2017, 05:51 PM

18,999 posts, read 24,517,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
Death by cancer isn't pretty. It doesn't play well on tv. If the network continues to broadcast it, we should all abandon them. I don't care if it pays Billy's bills. We all have morbid curiosity, its part of human nature, but watching an old lady die is fricken sick.
We should all abandon them? Some of us were never on the Brown bandwagon in the first place.

Look, Billy Brown showed up at my business broke and unemployed with numerous mouths to feed a couple of years before they got discovered by Discovery. He was a rude, incompetent know-it-all, and my mom (who did recently die one of those "unpretty deaths" from cancer) fired him. The bunch of them were living in their bus by the side of the road maybe a mile from my house.

They went on to steal and scam their way through the island until no one was left who'd "give them a break."

Billy Brown is the kind of person who would lie about his wife having cancer or about anything else if there was money in it. He's also the kind who would milk it till it was dry if he could make a profit. It's apparently already being used as a hook on the show and probably as a hook to get the thing uncanceled.

Old 07-24-2017, 06:23 PM

6,281 posts, read 10,886,103 times
Quote:
We should all abandon them? Some of us were never on the Brown bandwagon in the first place.

Look, Billy Brown showed up at my business broke and unemployed with numerous mouths to feed a couple of years before they got discovered by Discovery. He was a rude, incompetent know-it-all, and my mom (who did recently die one of those "unpretty deaths" from cancer) fired him. The bunch of them were living in their bus by the side of the road maybe a mile from my house.

They went on to steal and scam their way through the island until no one was left who'd "give them a break."

Billy Brown is the kind of person who would lie about his wife having cancer or about anything else if there was money in it. He's also the kind who would milk it till it was dry if he could make a profit. It's apparently already being used as a hook on the show and probably as a hook to get the thing uncanceled.
From the teasers on the current season it looks like they are relocating "Browntown" to Colorado. So I guess the new show will be called "Colorado Grifters".

Old 07-25-2017, 01:59 PM

196 posts, read 201,788 times
Hope they get the hell out of AK. and good riddance.

Old 07-26-2017, 10:15 PM

47 posts, read 20,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
In another thread a person wanted to know if it is possible to support themselves off the land in Alaska. On the Discovery Channel a show entitled "Alaskan Bush People" which happens to be a reality type show, (Not that reality means the show is real or anything.) Just wondering if anyone can relate to the show, maybe have done the same things that the Brown family does. If you watch the show do you think that they are way off base or could it be considered reality by some that you may know?

All these shows are fake. I grew up in Homer wiith the people on Alaska the Last Frontier and there are bars etc just ten miles from where they live. They really play up the survival aspect but fail to tell you that there is a grocery store 15 miles away. Lol. I can say though, their cabins and way of life is genuine.

Deadliest Catch is somewhat scripted also. My ex was on one of those boats.

I have to assume the asshats on Alaskan Bush People are fake also.

Last edited by REE312; 07-26-2017 at 10:17 PM.. Reason: Typos
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska