Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2015, 04:41 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,335,318 times

Advertisements

In another thread a person wanted to know if it is possible to support themselves off the land in Alaska. On the Discovery Channel a show entitled "Alaskan Bush People" which happens to be a reality type show, (Not that reality means the show is real or anything.) Just wondering if anyone can relate to the show, maybe have done the same things that the Brown family does. If you watch the show do you think that they are way off base or could it be considered reality by some that you may know?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2015, 04:48 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,701,628 times
Now that the Alaska film tax credit is finally gone, which is the only reason that these awful shows exist, we can hope that to see the last of the Brown family -- on screen or in Alaska.

Old 09-04-2015, 04:50 PM

2,795 posts, read 5,613,817 times
The show is fake. I grew up in Hoonah and have friends still there. What you see is staged.
There is a community near Hoonah that is a religious group that is mostly self-sustaining. They farm, they fish, they sell stuff in town. But they barely squeak by.
You can see some reality TV discussion here:
http://www.city-data.com/forum/alask...ng-alaska.html
http://www.city-data.com/forum/alask...sh-family.html

Old 09-05-2015, 02:30 PM

12,033 posts, read 6,564,574 times
The best Alaska reality show is the one on McCarthy. I think it's called "Edge of Alaska." There are two or three families or single men on the show that are living off the land or very self-sufficient and have been doing it for a long time.
There are tons of articles on how dishonest the Bush Family show is.

Old 09-05-2015, 02:52 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,701,628 times
McCarthy residents aren't crazy about that show, I hear.

This explains the existence of most of the shows:

The reality is there's plenty of fake TV shows in Alaska - LA Times

If you want to see a good one, watch Life Below Zero.

Old 09-09-2015, 08:54 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,335,318 times
I realize most reality shows are not real. A close friend is a writer producer and she spent a season on a cooking show, all staged although everyone watching thinks it is real. I was a fan of Gene Simmonds Family show because I think the guy is an amazing business man. A friends son was on the show and you guessed it, all scripted. Even when I found that out I still watched the show. LOL

I watched the show a few times and some of boys in the family just did not seem real to me. Anyway thank you all for commenting.

Old 09-09-2015, 11:11 PM

6,381 posts, read 14,564,539 times
The show is just a family that gets paid to be goofy, I don't think they know how to act normal at all. They don't really do anything but annoy anyone that lives anywhere close to them. One of the shows I do like is "The Last Alaskans", pretty simple and the people already live there in ANWR. Was short lived but a bit more factual.

There are a couple other shows I like, but most are staged for drama, or deal with different people in a show and you can tell there is a lot of setups, not good if you have a clue to what they are doing. But I suppose great if you are clueless and just watching for the entertainment value.

But this family is in hot water for getting illegal hunting and fishing licenses, filing for PFD's, all without residence status in the State. Got run off a place in the interior because the boys were messing with the locals!

What does upset me the most is when the announcer tells how they are outside at -40f.... Not a chance! It may be +20f above for them to be outside with no gloves, hat or snot running down their nose as ice. Reality and TV don't have a lot in common with these shows!

Old 09-11-2015, 10:43 AM

714 posts, read 747,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starlite9 View Post
The show is just a family that gets paid to be goofy, I don't think they know how to act normal at all. They don't really do anything but annoy anyone that lives anywhere close to them. One of the shows I do like is "The Last Alaskans", pretty simple and the people already live there in ANWR. Was short lived but a bit more factual.

There are a couple other shows I like, but most are staged for drama, or deal with different people in a show and you can tell there is a lot of setups, not good if you have a clue to what they are doing. But I suppose great if you are clueless and just watching for the entertainment value.

But this family is in hot water for getting illegal hunting and fishing licenses, filing for PFD's, all without residence status in the State. Got run off a place in the interior because the boys were messing with the locals!

What does upset me the most is when the announcer tells how they are outside at -40f.... Not a chance! It may be +20f above for them to be outside with no gloves, hat or snot running down their nose as ice. Reality and TV don't have a lot in common with these shows!

Last Alaskans was renewed for a second season about 2 months ago.

My parents watch all the AK reality shows and let me know which ones they like so I can check them out. They had nothing but awful things to say about the inBrown family and that show. I've maybe watched 30 minutes of the show in total.

Deadliest Catch and Life Below Zero have to be my all time favorites, but as the production value goes up the perceived authenticity of the show/characters goes away. Life Below Zero has become comical in the way it's produced.

I've always liked Buying Alaska, but that's just the part of me that wants to move back up there.

Old 09-11-2015, 12:45 PM

5,356 posts, read 18,540,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKtoWAtoUT View Post
I've always liked Buying Alaska, but that's just the part of me that wants to move back up there.
Just to let you know, Buying Alaska is faked. We know of one show were the couple "bought" a house in Gustavus. The house was the realtor's house. Most of the time you never see the interior of the house they supposedly purchased. That's because the furniture and decorations haven't changed and you might realize sooner that it's faked. I believe that's true of all the "Buying ________" shows.

Old 09-11-2015, 01:46 PM

714 posts, read 747,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akck View Post
Just to let you know, Buying Alaska is faked. We know of one show were the couple "bought" a house in Gustavus. The house was the realtor's house. Most of the time you never see the interior of the house they supposedly purchased. That's because the furniture and decorations haven't changed and you might realize sooner that it's faked. I believe that's true of all the "Buying ________" shows.

Oh yeah it's fake for sure, I just like the scenery and the houses
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska