Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2015, 06:43 AM

16,554 posts, read 10,618,310 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by It is 57 below zero View Post
I don't know of any other state that has a community with no road, except maybe Key West, which is an island south of the Florida mainland. If you can find another state that has a town with no road access, let me know.
Key West is connected to the Florida mainland via U.S. 1, the Overseas Highway. If you ever find yourself down that way, it's well worth a drive. The closest Alaska analogy I can think of is if they built a road connecting the various Aleutian Islands with each other.

However, there are a number of islands off the New England coast that do not have any road access to the mainland. What does connect them is a network of car ferries, and in some cases commercial air routes (using small propeller planes). So it's not quite the same as having no road access whatsoever, because it is certainly possible to drive a car from the mainland highway network to those locations, via the ferries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2015, 06:53 AM

16,554 posts, read 10,618,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Another reason is that building roads on permafrost is substantially more challenging that building roads on most other types of terrain.
This is something that I've wondered about. I would assume that the region through which the Dalton Highway passes includes tundra, does it not? And yet, that road exists, and IIRC is open to traffic throughout the year. Naturally, it made economic sense to build it (to maintain the pipeline, etc.), or else it wouldn't have happened. But my point is, it did get built. Somehow they figured out how to build and maintain an all-season road through the tundra.

Suppose I wanted to build a road from Fairbanks up to Barrow. (Or, more than likely if such a thing ever happened in real life, an offshoot of the Dalton Highway from somewhere near Coldfoot up to Barrow.) Pretend for the moment that economic considerations are not a factor. My question is, would it be feasible from an engineering point of view to build and maintain such a road?

Old 09-14-2015, 09:21 AM

681 posts, read 1,206,773 times
From strictly an engineering point of view....yes. But it would be expensive.

Old 09-14-2015, 09:24 AM

26,639 posts, read 36,711,783 times
Especially now that the permafrost is melting.

Melting Permafrost Threatens Infrastructure, Homes | Alaska Public Media

Old 09-14-2015, 10:12 AM

1,931 posts, read 2,169,691 times
The Dalton highway is talked about. Anyone not
From Alaska know how long it is? Longer than 400 miles. Only a 1/4 is paved roughly. Not only that sections of the road aren't suitable for cars or motorcycles. Can we really classify the road as a road. What did it cost to build? I have no idea. I do know that this past spring the road was flooded and it cost over 15 million to repair. Chew on that.

Old 09-14-2015, 11:29 AM

65 posts, read 121,190 times
Originally, Shell was trying to make a deal with Barrow to build a pipeline with a service road from Barrow to Prudhoe...they couldn't come to an agreement so Shell made a deal with Wainwright and will be building the pipeline there and connecting it to the main line way south of Prudhoe. If you are a really good at searching, you will find the minutes to the meeting on a Shell website. Residents of Wainwright are given permission to use the road to get to Dalton and will allow trucks to bring goods to Wainwright.

Shell will retain full ownership of the new service road and will maintain it throughout the year.

Last edited by BarrowWx; 09-14-2015 at 11:31 AM.. Reason: adding

Old 09-14-2015, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haolejohn View Post
The Dalton highway is talked about. Anyone not
From Alaska know how long it is? Longer than 400 miles. Only a 1/4 is paved roughly. Not only that sections of the road aren't suitable for cars or motorcycles. Can we really classify the road as a road. What did it cost to build? I have no idea. I do know that this past spring the road was flooded and it cost over 15 million to repair. Chew on that.
It is 414 miles long. DOT has had several projects a year on the Dalton for a while now to upgrade it, and that appears to be continuing for at least the next few years. Cars and motorcycles can and do handle the Dalton without too much difficulty. The main problem for small cars and motorcycles is the extremely high amount of heavy truck traffic.

Old 09-14-2015, 04:31 PM

1,004 posts, read 1,188,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akpls View Post
It is 414 miles long. DOT has had several projects a year on the Dalton for a while now to upgrade it, and that appears to be continuing for at least the next few years. Cars and motorcycles can and do handle the Dalton without too much difficulty. The main problem for small cars and motorcycles is the extremely high amount of heavy truck traffic.
With how many gas stations?

Old 09-14-2015, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music_Man View Post
With how many gas stations?
One at Coldfoot for sure. There used to be one at the Yukon River bridge, but I'm not sure of the status of that one. That's it.....probably only one, maybe two for the entire 414 miles.

Edit: According to their website, there is fuel at the Yukon River bridge. http://www.yukonrivercamp.com/services/

Last edited by akpls; 09-14-2015 at 05:44 PM.. Reason: New info

Old 09-14-2015, 05:46 PM

962 posts, read 630,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akpls View Post
One at Coldfoot for sure. There used to be one at the Yukon River bridge, but I'm not sure of the status of that one. That's it.....probably only one, maybe two for the entire 414 miles.
After Coldfoot, there aren't any resources for a long while (about 250 miles I think?) on the highway until the northern end of it reached at Deadhorse. That's easily over 4 hours, and all I can say is be very well prepared. Try not to go alone if you can help it, or at least notify someone where you are. Bring extra supplies (including extra gas tanks) if you need to.

Coldfoot also is (or used to be) a train stop, so that's an isolated town with surface transportation for sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska