Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 10:18 PM

655 posts, read 916,140 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingowl View Post
Why are there so many power outages in Wasilla?
Because MEA is corrupt and funnels funds into top executives pockets rather then pay out dividends or upgrade the system.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2008, 10:25 PM

1,331 posts, read 2,998,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskapat528 View Post
I've lived in Wasilla now for about 7 years. Wasilla has grown quite a bit; it has become crowded due to all the building they did. And homes and land are cheaper (or use to be) then what they are in Anchorage. We got twice the home and land in Wasilla.

Attitudes: Hmm, kinda like all over, some friendly and some rude. They love to congreate in groups in the grocery store aisles to visit while their kids think its a playground. .

One thing that is really bad and that is the drivers. If you commute to Anchorage (where most of the work and high paying jobs are), you have to take the Glenn Highway. Just be prepared (even on dark mornings with ice, snow and fog) some of them are still doing 60-70 mph. You see many in the ditches. The drivers are very ignorant; tailgating big time, they love to cut you off and even in the right lane they will ride your bumper. On a snowfall day there has been as many as 120 accidents and 60 ditch divers. Ya think they'd learn to drive like normal human beings.

Not trying to discourage you but just giving you the facts. I don't know what kind of work you do but Wasilla's jobs are very low paying. Hope this helps some. Alaska is breath-takingly beautiful.
Believe me, I know all about crazy drivers. Here in San Jose, it's not a matter of if, but when, some incompetent Asian woman driver takes you out. The very first week I lived here, I was almost sideswiped 3 times by Asian women. They are a California menace and I'm not exaggerating in the slightest. So that will not be anything new to me.

The wife is a pharmacist so we hope she can land a job somewhere there in the Valley. We don't want to live in Anchorage or Fairbanks. I currently work for Comcast and will try to get something with GCI. We're not going to actually make the move until the wife has signed a contract with a pharmacy up there so that we don't get screwed.

I sincerely appreciate all of the input.

Old 01-30-2008, 10:56 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,939,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelmate38 View Post
Because MEA is corrupt and funnels funds into top executives pockets rather then pay out dividends or upgrade the system.
Is there any hope of getting more power to the people so to speak?

Old 01-30-2008, 11:08 PM

1,677 posts, read 6,440,771 times
My two experiences of Wasilla are fairly old but I believe still hold true. What no one seems to mention is the wind that can hit the Palmer Wasila area. Now this is not bad if you don't own a plane but the place is kind of built on a gravel basin so silt, snad is caried with the high winds and can be a bit abrasive. The second is that The Wasilla Wal-mar is probably the best in the state. Better product quality compared to Anchorage and now Fairbanks, also better selection. I am not a huge fan of Wal-mart but they may of gotten this store right.

Old 01-30-2008, 11:09 PM

2,519 posts, read 7,029,951 times
Not sure about the power outages. I have very few where I live.

I'm used to the good old days when after every wind storm it would be a day or two without power. So I guess it's all in your perspective.

I do advocate a backup heat system that will work when there is no gas and no power...as there will be if we ever have another real big quake.

Old 01-30-2008, 11:16 PM

1,331 posts, read 2,998,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Van Diest View Post
Not sure about the power outages. I have very few where I live.

I'm used to the good old days when after every wind storm it would be a day or two without power. So I guess it's all in your perspective.

I do advocate a backup heat system that will work when there is no gas and no power...as there will be if we ever have another real big quake.
The wife and I were already discussing our desire for 1 or more wood-burning stoves. Would a backup generator also be recommended?

Old 01-30-2008, 11:52 PM

2,519 posts, read 7,029,951 times
Yes, a back-up generator is recommended.

Old 01-31-2008, 08:50 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,442,152 times
Yes, a back up generator is definitely recommended. As to the high winds, they are more of a problem around Sutton and Palmer than the Wasilla area. They blow down the Matanuska Valley channeled between the Talkeetna and Chugach mountain ranges. Palmer and Sutton are directly in their path. By the time those winds reach the Susitna Valley they are diminished quite a bit.

I'm not sure why there are so many power outages, or to what extent people are effected by them. In the Settler's Bay area, about 8 miles west of Wasilla, there are power outages between three or four times a month. But as I said, they only last an hour or two. So it is mostly an inconvenience, not anything serious. I'm hoping the new coal power plant MEA is building in Palmer will solve this problem.

Arcticthaw described the soil conditions in the Mat-Su Valley well. Glacial silt, gravel and clay covers the valley.

Old 01-31-2008, 08:58 AM

11,839 posts, read 28,939,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
Arcticthaw described the soil conditions in the Mat-Su Valley well. Glacial silt, gravel and clay covers the valley.
So does that mean that over time houses tend to shift on their foundations?

Old 01-31-2008, 09:24 AM

740 posts, read 1,973,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingowl View Post
So does that mean that over time houses tend to shift on their foundations?
Yes, that does have a tendency to happen. If you are buying a house, make sure to check the foundation before you even consider buying. That goes for anywhere in Alaska, really. The garage in my father's old house had a huge 2 inch crack form right through the middle. We had to have the house jacked up even and had to repair it. Cracks appear in the drywall on occasion from movement as well. This was in Anchorage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska