U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2015, 12:34 AM

920 posts, read 666,575 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
Yes in the traditional way that snobby is used. They typically aren't going to try and dazzle you with their Mercedes or art collection. However, a fair number of Alaskans can be standoffish towards non-Alaskans.
That's not at all what I meant. I'm from Alaska and genuinely could not believe the snottiness I encountered in Sitka. It's not all the people by any means but there is a real vein of "our you-know-what doesn't stink" running through that place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2015, 05:10 PM

1,004 posts, read 1,316,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by icypenguin17 View Post
I've been thinking of moving to Sitka for a while, but i wanted to know some pros and cons of living there from someone who does live there or has visited there. Thanks in advance!
Pros; it is on an island.

Cons; it is on an island.

Old 09-28-2015, 01:38 PM

175 posts, read 181,876 times
I live in Sitka. Yes, its expensive to live here, rains a lot, beautiful mountains and ocean views. As for the "snotty people" here comments--I never have run into that here. Never had anyone ever "look down their nose" at me nor ever had anyone "act like they were better than me." Wow, I'm really amzed to read comments on this site that say such things! Sorry if you didn't have a good experience here. We are both nurses (wife and I) and have worked in several states over the years and always come back here. Snotty people--Florida tops our list.

Old 09-28-2015, 01:44 PM

1,978 posts, read 1,589,730 times
^I agree with Florida topping the snotty people list . My wife was offered a few travel nurse jobs in Sitka. We were very intrigued. We decided against it because of the high housing/rental costs, and the rain. Can't do the constant rain thing long term. Hope to visit some day though. Planning a SE ferry trip for next summer.

Old 09-28-2015, 07:15 PM

920 posts, read 666,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rntim View Post
I live in Sitka. Yes, its expensive to live here, rains a lot, beautiful mountains and ocean views. As for the "snotty people" here comments--I never have run into that here. Never had anyone ever "look down their nose" at me nor ever had anyone "act like they were better than me." Wow, I'm really amzed to read comments on this site that say such things! Sorry if you didn't have a good experience here. We are both nurses (wife and I) and have worked in several states over the years and always come back here. Snotty people--Florida tops our list.
I'll give you a specific example. I was having a casual beer with a friend who brought along one of her local Sitka friends. That person took a lot of pleasure in informing me that her family owns a prominent store there and seemed to expect I'd treat her differently after that. It's kind of a hard encounter to describe but she mentioned the store as if it meant she and her family were royalty. Seems she took my confused silence to be mollification but actually I'd never heard of the store and had to ask someone later what she had meant, ha!

Old 09-28-2015, 09:05 PM

18,611 posts, read 23,432,915 times
So an encounter in a bar means that Sitka has snobs. I get it. Sure this didn't happen in Wyoming, miz?

Old 09-28-2015, 10:17 PM

509 posts, read 521,416 times
More slush and rain than snow in winter. That's a con. Outside of that, it's gorgeous, and if you're into outdoor stuff there are no drawbacks.

I take the ferry there on occasion for a weekend getaway.

Old 10-11-2015, 06:32 AM

672 posts, read 429,201 times
Does it rain all year or is there a rainy season?

Old 10-11-2015, 10:25 AM

164 posts, read 261,139 times
Basically it rains all year in Sitka. The most intensive rainy time is from August through May --- and I'm not being facetious.

To be fair, you get some glorious breaks where it's blue sky and gorgeous and there's nothing quite like it when Sitka is at her finest. But the weeks and weeks of unending rains can make you long for a jet ride to sunny Seattle. And I do mean sunny Seattle as compared to Sitka.

Old 10-11-2015, 10:28 AM

672 posts, read 429,201 times
Thanks. Sitka would not work for me full-time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska