U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2016, 05:02 PM

3 posts, read 1,593 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzile View Post
Heh, could be. Though I had some run-ins with high-falutin' Sitka folk who seemed to think their small community connections made it necessary to worship the ground they walked on...
That isn't just in Sitka.... I've found it in other AK communities
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2017, 03:02 PM

6,084 posts, read 10,455,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Data-Metropolis View Post
The Pros of living in Sitka is that it truly is beautiful. You can spend lots of time hiking, fishing, whale watching. You have to be careful, though, since it is wilderness, and while they have a good Search and Rescue, sometimes they never find people who get lost, besides danger of slides, injuries.

The cons of living in Sitka are many, mostly because of the people who live there. Southeast Alaska has the worse alcohol problem in the entire United States, and people never seem to learn that they can't continue to drink all the time without major consequences. If you are an alcoholic or mentally ill, or just never want to take responsibility for your actions, then Sitka is for you. Otherwise, you will be shocked at what goes on there. Someone mentioned snobs, there's a lot of that, people wanting to exclude others. There is also a lot of gossip, backstabbing. People who have never met you or talked to you will make up entire negative scenarios about you, and spread it all over town, unbeknownst to you. I left there because I was afraid either I or my family members would get murdered. My son was beaten up several times, but I couldn't get him to quit participating in the alcoholic lifestyle. Many people die there. Do some research on Google about murders in Sitka. One just happened last weekend, and there was also a man who stabbed someone and threatening people with an ax. Sign up for the Sitka Sentinel and read the Police Blotter. It reads like books written Steven King or Dean Koonts. It's terrifying, and it's real life, it happens all the time. Read about the 16-year-old girl who was walking home from her birthday party who was raped and murdered. They never found out who did it, probably someone who still lives in Sitka. Read about the 18-year-old who stabbed his grandparents and 3 other family members. I met his grandfather, one of the nicest people in the world who adored his grandson. Rapes, incest, domestic violence. I heard of a 13-year-old who watched his mother stab herself. Suicides, sometimes double or triple ones, these kinds of things happen there every day. Some people will tell you it's a safe place, it's not. It's worse than a major city like LA or New York. People don't have any boundaries there. They harass you if they don't like you, and nobody will do anything about it. There are no laws, the police force is a joke.

And it's expensive. There was just a new hike to the electric bill. You are looking at $400 to $1200 a month for electricity, and rent starting at $1200.

My advice, a good place to visit, but be sure you leave.

All this sounds just like Barrow. Cept different scenery. Got a call on a man attempting suicide. We got there in about 45 seconds. As we pulled into the driveway he pulled the trigger. The blast from his shotgun tore off the front of his face. People were standing in front of the house watching. I checked his vitals and told them he wasn't dead. They started screaming at him telling him to just go ahead and die. My partner and I were just taken aback a bit. Turns out those people were that man's daughters. He'd been sexually abusing them for years. It was just another hour in Barrow.

Old 05-09-2017, 03:55 PM

18,611 posts, read 23,432,915 times
You know, I completely agree that there's a seamy underside to life on the pandhandle and that drugs and alcohol are fairly well-represented among leisure activities, but data doesn't seem to support the assertation that it has "the worst alcohol problem in the entire United States." And at some point, you've got to look at your own part in how things played out for you in Sitka. Your kid was running with bad people and living a bad lifestyle; those problems could have happened anywhere.

Old 05-09-2017, 04:08 PM

175 posts, read 181,876 times
Sorry man but I got a whole different take on the town I live in. The shooting death here is tragic. Domestic with alcohol involved. The stabbing that occurred was a poke in the arm. My door is never locked, rarely remove my keys from my truck. My boat sits in a slip and has never been broken into. I don't see "mentally ill" folks roaming around, nor are there rapists everywhere. Kids walk to school-they don't get grabbed off the street. Me and the wife aren't bar people so I can't comment on that scene. I know several younger folks around that are not well off but are pleasant and kind as can be. We pay like 2500 bucks/month in basic living expenses-we can afford to. I am not worried about harm coming upon my wife here--we have lived in places where that was a concern. Isn't anywhere in town that I "watch over my shoulder" because its a "bad area." I pick up folks all the time hitching a ride into town. Yeah, there is a drug problem like anywhere else but not at the level I've seen elsewhere. I'm a critical care/ED nurse and have seen some wild crap in my time--but not here. Couple bear attacks over the years are basically the most violent.

Old 05-09-2017, 04:17 PM

1,820 posts, read 756,327 times
Quote:
And it's expensive. There was just a new hike to the electric bill. You are looking at $400 to $1200 a month for electricity.
Sounds exaggerated, even for an all electric house. Maybe $400 a month in winter. I posted a table of Alaska community electric rates not too long ago that showed Sitka at less than 13 cents/kwh. Even with an increase, which is probably modest, the rate wouldn't be nearly as high as most places in Alaska. It also has the benefit of being clean hydro power.

Old 05-09-2017, 05:36 PM

Yeah, its now 15cents/kwh. I run all electric but do have a woodstove. My whole utility bill ran 421.00 last month--which is power, water, sewer, garbage. Its just the way it is. Could live cheaper but don't have to!

Old 05-11-2017, 02:42 PM

And you think those sayings are unique to Sitka? They're in every little town in Alaska as well as quite a few in the -48.

Old 05-11-2017, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Well, it's good the thieves that you don't believe in now know whose house to rob. And $2500 a month expenses that you so causally mention? A lot of people don't even make that much. Must be about $1200 for the electric bill, and $1500 for rent? $800 for groceries. Nice that you both are nurses, and people are nice to you, because they need nurses in Sitka. But if something were to happen to you where you couldn't bring in that income, you got behind, believe me, it would be a different story. Money is what makes people nice in Sitka, as long as you have it, and they can get it from you. I met a couple of decent people in Sitka. The rest were scum. Hope that you are able to leave there with the same delusion you have now about what a decent place it is.
I actually agree with a lot of this. A parent who's struggling to keep food on the table and a roof over their family's head is going to have a different experience than someone making a decent living who also has a working spouse who's makes a good salary, and the children of the poor are usually easier prey. But I'm not sure that means it's impossible for some people to live a decent life in Sitka.

Nonetheless, I'm not crazy about life in SE Alaska either and have decided to spend as little time there as possible in the future for reasons different from yours. Others seem to find happiness there, though.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 05-11-2017 at 06:58 PM..

Old 05-12-2017, 09:30 AM

4 posts, read 3,306 times
And last, but not least, I just read on the Sitka Forum that HIV is now at epidemic proportions in Sitka. Eeewwwwww! Don't leave your condom's at home.

Old 05-12-2017, 02:00 PM

Dude, whats your deal? I know of No cases of HIV here. I am making no apology for working hard and making a decent living. Glad you live where you do and find a way to blame other people responsible for your kids' actions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska