Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2015, 05:23 PM

131 posts, read 156,463 times

Advertisements

OK, I actually HAVE been to Alaska. Only once, last June. I drove up and back. Only stayed a week and camped out, not much money, as my alternator went out. I like the Mat-Su area and I know I could make it there, even though I don't have a job yet. I want to load up my old pickup and get there before winter hits. I know, it's probably snowing there now. I'm used to snow, I'm from the Rockies (Montana). I'll have about 2k to get started on. I'll camp down by the Knik River until I get work. I'm tough.

I spend all day on the internet reading about it and looking at photos. I'm totally enthralled with the idea of moving there. I don't have a lot of skills, but I can learn fast. I'm in my 30s and have always worked in fast food places, so I can probably find work pretty fast, I think.

My expectations are low. I don't expect to get rich or have much or maybe even be able to live indoors. I just want to move to Alaska and learn to fly a bush plane. That's my lifelong goal. Thanks for any advice in advance. Rockskipper
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2015, 06:54 PM

2,025 posts, read 4,175,120 times
[quote=Rockskipper;41381706
My expectations are low. I don't expect to get rich or have much or maybe even be able to live indoors. I just want to move to Alaska and learn to fly a bush plane. That's my lifelong goal. Thanks for any advice in advance. Rockskipper[/quote]

I have a better idea. Get your pilot's license, then move to the bush and build your hours from there. Learning to fly in AK is going to be really expensive and affording a plane is off the charts.

Get yourself a basic single engine commerical license and get on with one of the bush carriers. I always seemed to end up with the new guys, once flying out from Bethel to Quinhagak with a guy who was making his first flight under the guidance of a bush pilot who looked the part.

Old 09-29-2015, 09:43 PM

1,931 posts, read 2,169,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockskipper View Post
OK, I actually HAVE been to Alaska. Only once, last June. I drove up and back. Only stayed a week and camped out, not much money, as my alternator went out. I like the Mat-Su area and I know I could make it there, even though I don't have a job yet. I want to load up my old pickup and get there before winter hits. I know, it's probably snowing there now. I'm used to snow, I'm from the Rockies (Montana). I'll have about 2k to get started on. I'll camp down by the Knik River until I get work. I'm tough.

I spend all day on the internet reading about it and looking at photos. I'm totally enthralled with the idea of moving there. I don't have a lot of skills, but I can learn fast. I'm in my 30s and have always worked in fast food places, so I can probably find work pretty fast, I think.

My expectations are low. I don't expect to get rich or have much or maybe even be able to live indoors. I just want to move to Alaska and learn to fly a bush plane. That's my lifelong goal. Thanks for any advice in advance. Rockskipper
Sounds like a plan. I bet 57 below has some great advise for you. Hopefully he chimes in.
Even though I live here I have nothing for you rock skipper. Sounds like you got it figured out.

Old 09-29-2015, 10:14 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,711,783 times
-57 has left the building, and not of his own choosing.

Don't have any words of wisdom, but if you're tough enough to live in your truck by the Knik River, you'll probably make it just fine.

Old 09-29-2015, 10:45 PM

2,993 posts, read 4,303,849 times
This can't be real, but on a positive note fast food places and other retail jobs always seem to be hiring up here.....

Old 09-29-2015, 11:42 PM

1,931 posts, read 2,169,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
-57 has left the building, and not of his own choosing.

Don't have any words of wisdom, but if you're tough enough to live in your truck by the Knik River, you'll probably make it just fine.
Did his parents ground him?

Old 09-29-2015, 11:52 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,711,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haolejohn View Post
Did his parents ground him?
LOL. I think Rance did. He's no longer a member.

Old 09-30-2015, 01:17 AM

234 posts, read 162,039 times
are they still doing that yearly drawing in Alaska for a chance to enter and win a bush/float plane?

Old 09-30-2015, 05:20 AM

195 posts, read 278,467 times
M advice is, wait until spring/summer and apply for a seasonal job through Summer Jobs and Seasonal Jobs in Great Places | CoolWorks.com or World Wide Opportunities on Organic Farms - WWOOF. Seasonal work is always the best bet for moving to AK without professional job skills.

However, if you do come up for the winter you are going to need more than 2K. The drive up will eat up a good chunk of that money. The going rate for many 1bd rentals is $1,000/month and any landlord will expect double that in move-in costs. That doesn't even leave you any money for food, utilities, gas, etc. If it takes you more than a week to find a job you're going to have a bad time.

Old 09-30-2015, 10:25 AM

131 posts, read 156,463 times
Thanks for all the replies. Just for a little more background - I lived in a teepee in the Montana mountains for several years, winter and summer. Saw a few grizzlies out there, but we got along OK (mutual respect, you leave me alone and I'll do the same - gulp). I'm currently living in my truck. I have a small propane heater in the shell and lots of down bags. I know it's lots colder in Alaska, but I think I can survive OK. I can always build a fire and sleep by it - I checked out the Knik and other people say they're doing it (right out of Palmer on the Old Glen H.). I can live on almost nothing and I have a good attitude, so people hire me, and I keep clean.

I can't afford flying lessons, so I'm hoping once up there I can hang out at the Palmer Airport and maybe trade some work for flights - you know, clean the plane, hanger, whatever I can do. guys and gals, I've been on my own since I was 14 as my dad kicked me out for complaining about his drinking, so I'm pretty much a can-do guy. I hope I fit in with all you sourdoughs. Any more advice very welcome.

And NomadAK - any ideas for me? You sound like a pilot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska