U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2015, 10:46 PM

1,215 posts, read 3,106,629 times

Advertisements

I am very much scared of them and I have plans and everything for if the next "Big One" comes along. Living in Anchorage in an area and building that were greatly damaged by the 1964 eartquake its difficult to not have it on the back of my mind every day. Especially since even tiny ones (that are not felt really on ground level) shakes everything around on my apartment floor level.

Rance, if you felt a 6+ in the apartment you'd change your mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2015, 10:24 AM

15,567 posts, read 32,358,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweden View Post
Rance, if you felt a 6+ in the apartment you'd change your mind.
I am always driving or on the water for the good ones!

Old 10-01-2015, 11:03 PM

1,215 posts, read 3,106,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rance View Post
I am always driving or on the water for the good ones!
And I'm always at home! You are the lucky one ...

Old 10-08-2015, 02:50 PM

87 posts, read 269,609 times
I was there for the 64 quake and after riding that one out,the only time I worried was if I was down town Anchorage in or near a multi story building. Doesn't much matter where you are,if your a worrier you will always find something to worry about

Old 10-31-2015, 01:38 AM

6 posts, read 4,442 times
I also was here in '64 and I don't worry but I do try and stay prepared.

Old 10-31-2015, 10:05 PM

6,381 posts, read 11,028,335 times
In 1964 I had just turned 9 in Anchorage. Can't even count the number of smaller quakes and smaller shakers since then. Are they scary? They can be, some are just a bump, others roll and rattle for a bit and then over!

I don't dwell on them happening again, matter of fact they are annoying at times.

If a "Big one" hits again, if you're by the ocean, go to higher ground. Kinda like "Leave a burning building". But also watch the ocean if you're by it, if the water level starts to drop, again, go to higher ground! If the eathquake kills you, then not much to worry about except planning for the next great adventure!

Old 05-01-2017, 08:28 AM

1,825 posts, read 757,317 times
A shaky start to the morning today. Two 6.2's in the last couple hours. Today's Earthquakes in Alaska, United States

Old 05-01-2017, 03:44 PM

448 posts, read 516,654 times
We had a 7.1 a little over a year ago. That was the first one that worried me. It woke me and at first I groggily wondered why my husband was jumping on the bed. Then it hit me that he was 700 miles away and it was actually an earthquake! However, thinking about them doesn't keep me up at night. There is absolutely nothing I can do about them happening. I am prepared if we do have a big one though.

Old 05-02-2017, 11:54 PM

1,825 posts, read 757,317 times
Someone has posited a theory that a recently melted glacier in the area, in addition to changing the direction of a river,
has caused the swarm of surface earthquakes that have been occurring there in the past 24 hrs.
https://article.wn.com/view/2017/04/...anadian_river/

Old 05-06-2017, 12:31 PM

15,567 posts, read 32,358,007 times
I've been following a gentleman by the name of Michael Janitch a year now. It has always been pounded into our heads that earthquakes cannot be forecasted, but Dutch has blown that theory out of the water. He's been tracking and monitoring earthquakes globally for 7+ years and has +/- 85% spot on location and magnitude forecast rate.

I've been using the EQ3D program myself and it is amazing how easy it is to forecast locations of upcoming quakes. Magnitudes are a little tougher for me but I'm getting the hang of it.

Dutch does a nightly update and forecast at 7PM Alaska time on 3 different programs. Youtube, Twitch and on his own webpage. If you have a free hour some evening, I highly recommend watching one of his live updates.

Do a search on youtube for Dutchsinse Live Stream just prior to 7PM, or

https://www.dutchsinse.com/live/ just prior to 7PM, or

www.twitch.tv/dutchsinseofficial just prior to 7PM

There are two options for the earthquake 3D program. A free or paid for version that links into the USGS or other global seismic feeds. These are downloadable to your own computer and track earthquakes globally, showing locations and magnitudes. 20 bucks for the paid for version, but it links into much more feeds than just the USGS.

The full version ($20) at EARTHQUAKE 3D

Free version at EARTHQUAKE 3D Application and Download Information

Seriously the guy has magnitudes and locations forecasting down to a "T"!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska