Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 03:40 AM

655 posts, read 916,140 times

Advertisements

Years ago, back when the rules were more relaxed, I traveled the Alaska Marine Hwy up from Bellingham to Haines. They did not have a cabin, so it was sleeping on the deck in a sleeping bag. By the second night of no sleep I was desperate, so when they had a pet call, I snuck down to my pickup truck that had a nice topper shell and bed in the back. When nobody was looking, I jumped in the back. I slept and slept like a baby. Since they do pets calls every few hours, I just stayed in there until the next call and got up in the morning. It was like having my own cabin. I know they said this was against their policy due to safety issues, but I know others were doing the same thing. Those tht had vans, campers, etc.

That was then, I wonder if this could still be pulled off? Anyone traveled the Marine Hwy, lately?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2008, 12:38 PM

395 posts, read 1,716,350 times
I know of a friend who was asked to get off at the next stop if he and his wife was ever caught doing that again. That was in 07'

Old 01-30-2008, 01:53 PM

1,429 posts, read 3,414,959 times
Nope, cant do it.

Old 01-30-2008, 02:21 PM

2,628 posts, read 6,885,078 times
No, you really do not want to do that now a days. I think I heard from someone that the fumes can get pretty bad.

Old 01-30-2008, 05:14 PM

214 posts, read 270,460 times
I did not bring any pets on my journey, however when I was on the columbia last year I had to run down to my car, during pet call was the only time I was allowed to go down there.
Vehicles that had pets in them got a special decal.
They had 5 men/women on each car deck one, in the ships ordination they instructed which doors on each floor was entrance only and which was exit only, no exceptions would be made due to safety regulations. After pet call, the captain expressed that each vehicle would be check on every deck, and that no one under any circumstances was allowed to stay in their vehicles. So I guess they have gotten wise to that old trick.

Old 01-31-2008, 07:42 AM

115 posts, read 615,664 times
Not only that but they have this man (Big) and mean looking with a gun and a dog and you dont want him to find you hiding out!

Old 01-31-2008, 07:33 PM

3,265 posts, read 3,927,062 times
What's a pet call?

Old 01-31-2008, 07:35 PM

96 posts, read 257,045 times
Default Nope

You are not allowed to be in your vehicles at all except at stops, and a couple times during the day where you can take pets out to do their duty (yes right on the deck where you are responsible for cleaning it up, and get in your vehicle for things.

Old 01-31-2008, 07:41 PM

1,437 posts, read 4,801,965 times
as far as trying to sleep down there, I really wouldn't recommend trying it.
the car storage area is patroled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysr_racer View Post
What's a pet call?
every 4 hours, you are allowed to go to your vehicle, feed, check on water, and walk your pet in the vehicle holding area if you want. Give them a chance to "do their business" if they want, but YOU have to clean it up. This is on multi-day trips, and when in any port stop, you are allowed to get him/her and go out on the dock for a walk or play a little.
And no pet lovers, it is not "inhumane" down there.
It is heated, well ventilated, dimly lit at night because of the security patrols.
Any pet that goes nuts gets the owners license plate and model anounced over the intercom.
Your pet is safer down there than up on the deck.

Old 02-01-2008, 01:32 AM

1,122 posts, read 4,486,409 times
Default a shame

It's a shame that you can't just stay down in the camper, but you can also see why that can't happen. You just KNOW that some moo-ron would eventually blow up their RV onboard, and what a fine mess THAT would make.

Actually, considering the potential energy contained in an LPG tank it's amazing that you can take an RV onboard at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska