Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2015, 12:53 PM

12 posts, read 21,002 times

Advertisements

I will be moving to Prince of Wales Island this spring. I will have 7 months of leave saved up from my current job. I am looking for a home to rent while I look for a place to buy. Also looking for employment (even if just seasonal). My background is law enforcement, farming and hunting/fishing guide. Looking to arrive in early June. Thanks for any leads!

Last edited by okie2AK; 10-26-2015 at 01:55 PM.. Reason: add more info
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2015, 02:58 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,681,428 times
Why are you moving to POW? Living-wage jobs and affordable housing are both really hard to come by on the island.

Part of the problem with rental properties is that some of them that are available in the off-season are used as tourist accommodations during the short summers, so you may have trouble finding something in June. It's a tough market.

Look up Log Cabin rentals online and see what they've got. Also, you might have some luck renting or maybe even subletting something that belongs to a teacher; lots of them leave when school isn't in session.

Old 10-27-2015, 12:11 PM

Are there any fishing jobs on POW in the early summer?
I may start looking at other locations in the SE. I visited POW a few years ago and loved the area but if jobs and housing is as hard to find as some claim I may have to look at other options. Any suggestions? Hoonah area?

Old 10-27-2015, 01:08 PM

There aren't any fishing jobs in early June. The only thing running is spring kings for sport fishing. Getting on a fishing boat is almost impossible on POW. The local seiners all have family members in line to take a spot and the Washington seiners bring their own crew.

Part of the problem with POW and other places like it is that while you could probably find a job of some sort, housing costs are so high and it's so hard to find that you'd be going in the hole financially just to live. I'd forget Hoonah. Look at Ketchikan, Petersberg, Sitka, and maybe even Haines. You shouldn't necessarily rule out POW, but I think you'd have a better chance of finding living-wage work in one of the other places mentioned. Of course, if you have law enforcement experience, you might apply to be a village safety officer if you want to stay in that line of work. There's special cop housing on POW and probably in other places.

Also, you'd have much better luck finding a place anywhere in SE to rent if you came up a little earlier than June. Lots of seasonal workers arrive about then, which makes housing even more scarce.

Old 10-29-2015, 10:56 AM

2,795 posts, read 5,611,728 times
Met has given you some great insight...
As she mentioned, sometimes the docks in Seattle are the place to find a fishing job in Alaska.
If you are looking for seasonal work in Alaska, try Cool Works: Alaska Jobs | CoolWorks.com . A lot of seasonal stuff gets posted there. You'll see more added as we get closer to spring.
Here's the info on the Village Public Safety Officer program: Village Public Safety Officer Program Home

Old 10-29-2015, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKStafford View Post
Met has given you some great insight...
As she mentioned, sometimes the docks in Seattle are the place to find a fishing job in Alaska.
If you are looking for seasonal work in Alaska, try Cool Works: Alaska Jobs | CoolWorks.com . A lot of seasonal stuff gets posted there. You'll see more added as we get closer to spring.
Here's the info on the Village Public Safety Officer program: Village Public Safety Officer Program Home
Actually, I didn't mention that the docks in Seattle are the place to find a fishing job in Alaska, and that's not advice that I would give. I recall a thread awhile back where a bunch of you who don't know the first thing about fishing were encouraging some poor sap to fly to Seattle and walk the docks because you heard of someone who heard of someone whose cousin got on a seiner that way 30 years ago. I'd mentioned in that thread that most boats are docked in Washington State, and true to form, you people took it and ran with it to make it sound as if I were advising the guy to fly to Seattle and walk the docks. I'm sick and tired of being misrepresented and made to sound as if I'm giving false information.

Walking the docks is a horrible strategy. It's not done anymore. Sorry to sound so harsh, but I need to make it really, really clear, I guess, that I never have and never will advocate walking the docks. There's a hell of a lot of difference between saying that the most of the SE seiners come from Washington and advocating going there to walk the docks. Sure, people get lucky once in a while, but for every one who doesn't, there are countless others who don't fare well

Sorry stafford -- I'm guessing you "know" me well enough on the forum to realize that none of this is personal.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 10-29-2015 at 12:04 PM..

Old 10-29-2015, 12:10 PM

Default Vpso

I've looked into the VPSO positions. I've heard some not so good things about the job.

Any opinions? There are a lot of VPSO positions vacant....maybe for a reason?

Old 10-29-2015, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Actually, I didn't mention that the docks in Seattle are the place to find a fishing job in Alaska, and that's not advice that I would give. I recall a thread awhile back where a bunch of you who don't know the first thing about fishing were encouraging some poor sap to fly to Seattle and walk the docks because you heard of someone who heard of someone whose cousin got on a seiner that way 30 years ago. I'd mentioned in that thread that most boats are docked in Washington State, and true to form, you people took it and ran with it to make it sound as if I were advising the guy to fly to Seattle and walk the docks. I'm sick and tired of being misrepresented and made to sound as if I'm giving false information.

Walking the docks is a horrible strategy. It's not done anymore. Sorry to sound so harsh, but I need to make it really, really clear, I guess, that I never have and never will advocate walking the docks. There's a hell of a lot of difference between saying that the most of the SE seiners come from Washington and advocating going there to walk the docks. Sure, people get lucky once in a while, but for every one who doesn't, there are countless others who don't fare well

Sorry stafford -- I'm guessing you "know" me well enough on the forum to realize that none of this is personal.
Yeah... I got careless in how I phrased my response.... I was more trying to say a lot of Alaskan commercial fishing is based out of Washington. And as I understand it, these jobs are all about knowing someone who knows someone. Or being family. Logging is the same way these days. Shoot, even the little company I work for in Wasilla hires based on connections.
Thanks for keeping things straight Met.

Old 10-29-2015, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by okie2AK View Post
I've looked into the VPSO positions. I've heard some not so good things about the job.

Any opinions? There are a lot of VPSO positions vacant....maybe for a reason?
VPSO's have a rough job. Up until very recently they aren't armed. (And even now it's a process to be able to carry a firearm). They have minimal back up or support. The nearest Trooper might be several hours away by plane, and that's assuming the weather cooperates.
And I think the pay is pretty low.
But I have a ton of respect for those guys. VPSO Tom Madole was a friend of mine...

Old 10-29-2015, 12:57 PM

I'm wanting to focus on SE Alaska as that is the area I have visited. I visited Kenai Peninsula last AUG and it was just too many people compared to what I experienced in the SE. And from what I experienced the fishing in SE is much better also which is a major reason for my interest.

Anyone else have any suggestions about employment, locations to live or housing in the SE? Is there much chance of buying 20+ acres? I have seen a few parcels up for sale up they get snapped up pretty quick.

I will be moving up with several months leave coming to me, about a year's worth of salary as savings and have a permanent income from military retirement. I am currently a state law enforcement officer in a very rural area and do seasonal work as a hunting and fishing guide. Also have some farm experience.

Would appreciate any suggestions. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska