Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2015, 03:00 PM

2,383 posts, read 3,103,563 times

Advertisements

Just got to PT and heard that we're supposed to get 100 MPH winds. WTF if the Ouiji Board is correct I will need someplace to park my truck where it won't get smashed. Strange weather for sure... it is super warm in town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2015, 04:29 PM

106 posts, read 153,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
The same kind of jobs exist in Alaska as in the -48. Imagine that. There are teachers, attorneys, store clerks, government workers, construction workers, postal employees...the list goes on.

What do you do in WV? Sit on your porch strumming a banjo and sucking down the 'shine?

See how it feels? Alaskan residents aren't some unique curiosity. You've been watching too many shows.
That is an incredibly rude response to a reasonable question.

For example, here in the mid Atlantic if you want to live in DC or northern virginia you must have a high paying job to afford the living expenses. In DC that's usually government, or government contractors who make enough to live in that area. Anyone in IT or information security can live comfortably as well. To live the rural areas west of DC, you can have a blue collar job and still afford to enjoy yourself--as long as you are further than a comfortable commuting distance. Being within 60 miles of DC means housing will be unreasonably expensive.

What I meant by that question is what jobs are available that can allow a family to live comfortably in such an expensive state as has been said by the very people who post on this board.

While I do love the banjo, I play a mandolin. I also live in an apartment in a hippie college town, so I have no porch on which to "pick n grin". That generalization is no comparison to the simple question I asked about affording the living expenses in Alaska. Now if I said you're all seal hunting inuit peoples, then I could understand.

When I do visit, I will be sure to stay in the wilderness to avoid the human residents.

Old 12-30-2015, 04:36 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,717,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nature mama View Post

For example, here in the mid Atlantic if you want to live in DC or northern virginia you must have a high paying job to afford the living expenses. In DC that's usually government, or government contractors who make enough to live in that area. Anyone in IT or information security can live comfortably as well. To live the rural areas west of DC, you can have a blue collar job and still afford to enjoy yourself--as long as you are further than a comfortable commuting distance. Being within 60 miles of DC means housing will be unreasonably expensive.

What I meant by that question is what jobs are available that can allow a family to live comfortably in such an expensive state as has been said by the very people who post on this board.

While I do love the banjo, I play a mandolin. I also live in an apartment in a hippie college town, so I have no porch on which to "pick n grin". That generalization is no comparison to the simple question I asked about affording the living expenses in Alaska. Now if I said you're all seal hunting inuit peoples, then I could understand.

When I do visit, I will be sure to stay in the wilderness to avoid the human residents.
It gets frustrating when we try to answer your questions and you come back with implications about why our answers can't be true or ask the same questions over again. I've given you recommendations on where to go and what time of year since you seem to be so interested in how the "real people of Alaska live," and you haven't even bothered to thank anyone for their efforts in trying to answer your questions, so I wouldn't be trying to play the rude card if I were you. Your continued insistence that Alaskans are some sort of exotic, "unique" species living extremely different lives than their -48 counterparts is offensive, and my comment about the banjo pickin' was designed to provide you with an indication of how you're coming across.

I've told you what kind of jobs are available. I've TOLD you that the federal government is Alaska's biggest employer and what other kinds of jobs people do, but you haven't wanted to listen to a damn thing anyone's said because it doesn't correspond to your fantasy. If you're that curious about what people do for work in different communities, try looking at the community profiles here.

Please do stay out in the wilderness. I know where there's a bus for rent where you can have a real Alaska experience.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 12-30-2015 at 05:43 PM..

Old 12-30-2015, 04:55 PM

1,004 posts, read 1,189,020 times
I was going to suggest that bus too. Don't forget that some people make all kinds of things to sell from moose poop. The tourists just love them and the festival.

Old 12-30-2015, 05:07 PM

1,931 posts, read 2,170,347 times
Quote:
I'm not going anywhere. I'm buying a house in WV right now. I'm from Va, but wv feels more like home than anywhere else. Also, I hate the south. It's too hot, and I like 4 seasons. I'm too white to live that close to the equator. Lol. I have no intentions of moving to Alaska. I'm just interested in it's uniqueness. Everyone seems to have so many negative things to say about it when asked by outsiders, but many people live there and I have to wonder why. Maybe it's just a plot to keep the outsiders out the same way people in Montana do...eh? :-)
Alaska doesn't have 4 seasons.

Old 12-30-2015, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riceme View Post
I do the same thing I did in -48, just for a different company, different industry.
Me too. Exact same thing.

Old 12-30-2015, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarisaSMouse View Post
I will admit, it does seem weird to us outsiders to read about how expensive everything is, how many people are on welfare, how many are homeless, but then to also read about how often everyone flies. If it's so expensive, and not everyone is surviving off the land, how do people make it?

I figured that having someone else foot the bills is half the battle -- whether that be the government or one's employer, or both. Is that the truth, though?
Sometimes flights are paid for by jobs or tribal funds if it's a business trip.
We are going on our fourth year in the bush and have taken numerous trips. With ravn Alaska every fifth trip gives one a free trip. Keep that in mind. I also would only head to town on my own dime every 6 months. Save gas money. $200 a month x 6 months = two plane tickets to anchorage.

Old 12-30-2015, 05:31 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,717,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Music_Man View Post
I was going to suggest that bus too. Don't forget that some people make all kinds of things to sell from moose poop. The tourists just love them and the festival.
Too bad the festival was ruined by tourists. They don't have it anymore.

Old 12-30-2015, 05:38 PM

Quote:

I don't think you j set stand Alaskan wilderness. It's totally different than lower 48 wilderness. A city in Alaska is like a suburb in the lower 48. Rural -48 is like suburbs in Alaska. Wilderness in -48 is rural Alaska. Then there is the bush.

The cost to access the Alaskan wilderness will get you.

Old 12-30-2015, 05:44 PM

Subsistence lifestyle is rare. Many Alaskans participate in some form of subsistence but very few actually live off the land completely. Why? Overhead costs. It's expensive to buy gas. It's expensive to heat. Wood isn't as plentiful as people think and if someone truly wanted to hear with wood alone, they'd have to spend all their free time gathering. The native populations used to practice subsistence and their whole life revolved around food and materials to prepare for winter. Large families were common to assist in the gathering. You had numerous dwellings, but things have changed.

Bush living is hard. It ain't easy. Which is why I do it with a decent paying job. This year has been tougher than previous years but that is because we didn't get a moose. Thankfully we did get plenty of fish, but half our meat this year had to be bought.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska