Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2016, 12:58 PM

9,230 posts, read 16,489,321 times

Advertisements

I'm trying to gather info on how well treating PI and DUI's as a result of a condition rather than a crime is going for different states. As I understand it, Alaska prefers treatment over incarceration. Anyone have any useful info on the effectiveness and cost?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2016, 01:58 PM

2,383 posts, read 3,062,187 times
What in the world is a PI in this context?

If the Alaska DUI penalties at this website are accurate, it doesn't sound like much treatment is going on. Looks like punishment for a crime to me, including incarceration. My understanding is that whether or not you go to "drunk school" depends on which judge you get... sort of luck of the draw, whether or not you hire an attorney, and is likely dependent upon circumstances surrounding your arrest, I would imagine.

AK Alaska DUI Laws, Fines, Drunk Driving Penalties & SR22

Where did you get that Alaska offers treatment in the place of incarceration? What sort of treatment?

Old 01-02-2016, 02:09 PM

2,025 posts, read 4,139,756 times
Maybe he means the drunk house at 5th and Karluk?

DUI's mean jail and punsihment, PI means they at best drag you to the detox center and then off you go.

There is so much alchoholism in AK I don't think treatment is an affordable option unless you wat to pay for Shick-Shadel or similar.

Old 01-02-2016, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GnomadAK View Post
Maybe he means the drunk house at 5th and Karluk?

DUI's mean jail and punsihment, PI means they at best drag you to the detox center and then off you go.

There is so much alchoholism in AK I don't think treatment is an affordable option unless you wat to pay for Shick-Shadel or similar.
Oh I finally figured out PI.... Public Intoxication.

I agree.

Here is a story straight out of the headlines. I would say that this was a low-speed chase when they all passed me at the weigh station on New Year's Eve but it sounds like they got up to 70 which is way too fast on slick roads even if you're sober as a judge. But note that this guy's license was revoked until 2061. What do we do with him now?? According to that handy-dandy website Alaska had already overachieved on revoking his license. Off to prison since he injured a trooper, I would imagine.

Multiple charges for Fox resident in New Year's Eve pursuit that injured trooper | Local News | newsminer.com

The penalty for a fourth DUI - drunk driving conviction in Alaska:IF PRIOR OFFENSES OCCURED within 10 YEARS - CLASS C Felony

• Fine: minimum $10,000 fine
  • Jail: minimum 240 days in jail (mandatory)
  • License Revocation: permanent revocation of drivers license (can apply for license restoration after 10 years if certain conditions are met)
  • Ignition Interlock: ignition interlock restriction throughout the entire period of probation IF driving privilege is ever regained
  • mandatory drug and/or alcohol evaluation
  • possible attendance at treatment program
  • vehicle forfeiture
  • may be prohibited from purchasing alcohol (length of time at the courts discretion)
  • Alaska SR22 insurance requirement for life

Old 01-02-2016, 02:40 PM

I lost the page I was on that suggested Alaska preferred treatment vs. jail. Grrrrr. Either way, I'm here to get more info, so this isn't accurate?

Old 01-02-2016, 02:50 PM

I do not believe it to be true. And if you Google "DUI punishment by State" you will find that Alaska is 2nd most strict, next to Arizona, one link w/examples below. Note that I have not validated the source.

https://wallethub.com/edu/strictest-...-on-dui/13549/

If they were treating it as opposed to punishing the crime you would see

- attendance at treatment program
instead of
- possible attendance at treatment program

But like Gnomad said, I don't see how they could afford it... we broke.

Old 01-02-2016, 03:16 PM

26,482 posts, read 36,317,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PassTheChocolate View Post
I lost the page I was on that suggested Alaska preferred treatment vs. jail. Grrrrr. Either way, I'm here to get more info, so this isn't accurate?
There was something in a thread recently about how PI isn't treated as a criminal offense in Alaska. At the time, I looked up the applicable state statute and posted it, but I don't have time to look for it now. PI and DUI are treated differently, btw.

Basically, if you're drunk in public in Alaska and are breaking no other laws, it's not a criminal offense. I think this is probably what you mean by:

Quote:
As I understand it, Alaska prefers treatment over incarceration.
ETA this isn't the statute (you should be able to find it with a search) but it explains the way the state handles PI:

http://www.criminaldefenselawyer.com...s-drunk-public

DUI laws are entirely different.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 01-02-2016 at 03:55 PM..

Old 01-02-2016, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
ETA this isn't the statute (you should be able to find it with a search) but it explains the way the state handles PI:

Alaska Public Intoxication: Drunk in Public Penalties and Sentencing | Criminal Law

DUI laws are entirely different.
That's the page I was referring to, thanks!

Old 01-03-2016, 10:02 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,505,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riceme View Post
Oh I finally figured out PI.... Public Intoxication.

I agree.

Here is a story straight out of the headlines. I would say that this was a low-speed chase when they all passed me at the weigh station on New Year's Eve but it sounds like they got up to 70 which is way too fast on slick roads even if you're sober as a judge. But note that this guy's license was revoked until 2061. What do we do with him now?? According to that handy-dandy website Alaska had already overachieved on revoking his license. Off to prison since he injured a trooper, I would imagine.

Multiple charges for Fox resident in New Year's Eve pursuit that injured trooper | Local News | newsminer.com

The penalty for a fourth DUI - drunk driving conviction in Alaska:IF PRIOR OFFENSES OCCURED within 10 YEARS - CLASS C Felony

• Fine: minimum $10,000 fine
  • Jail: minimum 240 days in jail (mandatory)
  • License Revocation: permanent revocation of drivers license (can apply for license restoration after 10 years if certain conditions are met)
  • Ignition Interlock: ignition interlock restriction throughout the entire period of probation IF driving privilege is ever regained
  • mandatory drug and/or alcohol evaluation
  • possible attendance at treatment program
  • vehicle forfeiture
  • may be prohibited from purchasing alcohol (length of time at the courts discretion)
  • Alaska SR22 insurance requirement for life

Third DUI within 10 years is a felony, not the forth, which would be a second felony.

Old 01-03-2016, 10:42 PM

2,025 posts, read 4,139,756 times
The biggest problem is that you simply cannot make drunks care, no matter what you do.

Throw them in jail, eh, whatever, they've been in jail before. Not allow them to own a car? You'd think they could enforce that but nope, plenty of repeat drunks have cars. No regotration or insurance? Nobody cares until they get caught. Can't buy alcohol? Good luck with that.

The trick is to make the drinks care and if you can do that, problem solved. And how?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska