Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2016, 09:44 PM

10,545 posts, read 7,731,511 times

Advertisements

No hurricanes, but yes to possibility of tsunamis. Avalanches are only of concern if you're skiing in the back country or living at the foot of a mountain. Depends on where you go and how small of a town you want,
but some places you can get by without a car. Interior locations are colder and drier than coastal areas.
For the coast, take a look at Homer,
Tenakee or Haines. Interior, I don't know. Maybe Tok or McCarthy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2016, 10:40 PM

4 posts, read 4,510 times
Thank you very much. I'll look into those cities.

Old 01-12-2016, 11:47 PM

459 posts, read 608,633 times
You do not want McCarthy, It is a town in the middle of a National Park. You do not own your own land, you can not hunt locally at all. You can not drive to it, you drive your vehicle to a footbridge and then cross on foot. The locals have a key to the gate that they can drive a 4 wheeler over. There is no infrastructure at all and very little services. The nearest town is 65 miles (Chitina) and it also is in that park and no infrastructure. Tok is much better (if you want middle of nowhere but still on the road system).

Old 01-12-2016, 11:51 PM

2,383 posts, read 3,100,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keyman51 View Post
You do not want McCarthy, It is a town in the middle of a National Park. You do not own your own land, you can not hunt locally at all. You can not drive to it, you drive your vehicle to a footbridge and then cross on foot. The locals have a key to the gate that they can drive a 4 wheeler over. There is no infrastructure at all and very little services. The nearest town is 65 miles (Chitina) and it also is in that park and no infrastructure. Tok is much better (if you want middle of nowhere but still on the road system).
Right. My cousin is based out of there for fires every now and then. One of his buddies once said, "One day I spent a week in McCarthy." A lot of the guys seem to think that sums it up pretty well.

Old 01-13-2016, 12:00 AM

1,931 posts, read 2,168,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by June1218 View Post
Hello!

I am looking into a move to either Alaska or Maine and I am currently in research mode. I love the cold, absolutely love snow, and enjoy rain. My major decision factors will be natural disasters and safety/crime levels. I prefer small towns and I don't mind being in the middle of nowhere I live in Colorado now and honestly I hate it; bipolar weather, mud and desert like terrain, a lot of rude people.

I am a young female, I don't plan to move for a few years, my initial goal is to get to the state and work in town, my overall goal is to have a small homestead outside of town.

1) Is Alaska dog friendly? Are there a lot of restrictions on owning dogs or the number of dogs you can have?
2) Can you get around on 4 wheelers etc or do you need a truck/suv?
3) Is there cities/areas that do not have or are less likely to have avalanches? Earthquakes? Volcanoes?
4) Are there storms like hurricanes/tsunamis?
5) What kind of criminal activities happen? Is it a safe state in general?

Thank you for any advice you're able to share with me.
1. Alaska isn't really dog friendly. It's illegal to own a dog with short hair or one that weighs less than 75lbs. You can only own more than two dogs if you operate a certified dog sled team.

2. 4-wheelers are the best mode of transportation. Many roads are not paved and those tend to be extremely rough in regular trucks and SUVs. In the areas where there are no roads the only way to be mobile is with an ATV. Just make sure you buy the hollow wheeled models so they won't sink in the tundra.

3. There is snow on the ground 365 days a year. The only place that avalanches don't happen are in the coastal towns, but then you have to worry about tsunamis. Earthquakes are frequent but are not a threat like California. You don't ha w to worry about volcanoes. This isn't Hawaii.

4. Only happen on the coast.

5. Very safe state. As a matter of fact, crime only happens in the road portions where the troopers are at. No crime in the bush. What kind of crime? We have your typical crimes you'd see down south. It's all centered in the tourist areas.

Old 01-13-2016, 12:03 AM

My above answer is not real, but it is on the Internet...

How cold do you like? There's a difference between Colorado cold vs Alaska cold. What sort of jobs will you be looking at? Homesteading? I'm assuming you mean trying to live off the grid? That will limit you IMO. Also understand that town and outside of town could be a looooonnnnnngggg commute.

Old 01-14-2016, 12:14 AM

8,924 posts, read 5,621,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by June1218 View Post
Thank you. I don't mind dealing with any of these disasters, I'm curious how often they happen. For instance, in Florida you can pretty much count on at least one hurricane a year. I've read there are a lot of avalanches in Alaska, but is there a city that perhaps sees less avalanches or none at all? That's sort of what I am trying to understand from Alaska, do they see all these natural disasters regularly or is it more rare, or depends on the city, etc. Thank you again.
Are you kidding me? I live in Fl. We haven't had a hurricane in 10 years. No place is perfect and if you watch some programs on TV you could answer your own question. Ak has a mud season and bugs too not to mention bears trying to get in your house if they smell food. My ex lives in ME and loves it.

Old 01-14-2016, 12:47 AM

26,639 posts, read 36,681,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominftl View Post
No place is perfect and if you watch some programs on TV you could answer your own question.

Television programs are definitely the way to experience Alaska from the comfort of your couch. The reality shows are especially informative for those seeking relocation information. We try to keep the thing about the bears trying to get into people's houses quiet, though.

Old 01-14-2016, 03:13 AM

After having a bear show up numerous times, I finally bought a bowl and started feeding him outside. Eventually we were able to house train him. I no longer have to worry about a town during or druggie popping in my house. Hopefully he learns to calm down around my kids. We do have a third child showing up soon.

Old 01-22-2016, 07:02 PM

4 posts, read 4,510 times
Well didn't really expect some of these answers. I'm just trying to learn more about the state to see if it's right for me. Sorry to offend the Florida person, but when I think of a state that has hurricanes, I think Florida. Just as I think of California for earthquakes.

I work from home, I only need internet and phone service, so I'm not concerned with going into town for a job daily. I understand that where there is water and dirt there is mud, but where I'm located it's basically brown all year and we don't have a lot of greenery it's more desert like so when it snows, it melts shortly after and it's muddy. Yes I am wanting to have a homestead, chickens, sheep, food and what not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska