Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2016, 12:33 PM

22 posts, read 22,753 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are considering retiring to Alaska (before medicare eligible) and as we are doing our research we were really surprised to discover that AK had the highest health insurance premiums in the country. Coming from Washington state, our premiums would more than triple.

Are there any creative strategies that folks found to help work with this, other than going back to work and getting and employer subsidized plan? We were hoping to retire afterall

thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2016, 12:48 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,179,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dloop View Post
My wife and I are considering retiring to Alaska (before medicare eligible) and as we are doing our research we were really surprised to discover that AK had the highest health insurance premiums in the country. Coming from Washington state, our premiums would more than triple.

Are there any creative strategies that folks found to help work with this, other than going back to work and getting and employer subsidized plan? We were hoping to retire afterall

thanks.
And it will be more expensive as Obamacare is fully implemented.

My insurance cost increased 265% two years ago, and the deductible when I go to a clinic, for example, is over $1,100 (about $2,200 for my wife and I). We have employers subsidized plans. It not longer matters, since Obamacare screwed things up for State workers and not. Insurance premiums have increased for the past five years, even for Federal workers, but the highest increases have been with employer-subsidized plans.
http://nypost.com/2014/07/03/how-oba...b-based-plans/

Last edited by RayinAK; 01-12-2016 at 12:58 PM..

Old 01-12-2016, 01:01 PM

2,383 posts, read 3,103,563 times
My healthcare cost jumped way up at the beginning of this year... and I'm going to have to pay the deductibles twice right out of the gates because I'm changing jobs on 25 January.

There's a guy up at the mine who has 10 kids and his premium is only $50 more per month than mine, a single person.

Old 01-12-2016, 01:51 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,519,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riceme View Post
My healthcare cost jumped way up at the beginning of this year... and I'm going to have to pay the deductibles twice right out of the gates because I'm changing jobs on 25 January.

There's a guy up at the mine who has 10 kids and his premium is only $50 more per month than mine, a single person.
Wonder what he does in is his spare time? (rhetorical question)

Congrats on changing jobs, I assume that is for the better, riceme?

Yeah, premiums are crazy, out of pockets nuts, quality of care is debatable at times, getting an appointment can take forever...

Answer, but not really a solution: Some people plan trips out of Alaska to get routine/annual healthcare. And only use AK for emergency room type stuff. To an extent we do that, until my son got some acute issues that needed followup on a monthly basis. So we just had to deal with it... Otherwise, summer trips to the L48 to escape the hoards of tourons coming to AK are good times to see a Doctor... And yes, I was a tourist at one point myself.

If you mind me asking who are you getting coverage through? And assuming you make too much for any type of subsidy? (Welcome to my world - where I make just enough to not qualify)

Old 01-12-2016, 02:11 PM

2,795 posts, read 5,615,380 times
My boss pays for insurance for me. It has a $2,500 deductible, but its better than nothing.
For the wife, we just pay the 2.5% fine/tax/penalty for not having insurance. Way cheaper than paying premiums for her.

Old 01-12-2016, 03:27 PM

143 posts, read 192,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riceme View Post

Why would you have to pay the deductible twice? That makes no sense unless you have major surgery while still insured on the first plan.

Old 01-12-2016, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakster View Post
Wonder what he does in is his spare time? (rhetorical question)

Congrats on changing jobs, I assume that is for the better, riceme?

Yeah, premiums are crazy, out of pockets nuts, quality of care is debatable at times, getting an appointment can take forever...

Answer, but not really a solution: Some people plan trips out of Alaska to get routine/annual healthcare. And only use AK for emergency room type stuff. To an extent we do that, until my son got some acute issues that needed followup on a monthly basis. So we just had to deal with it... Otherwise, summer trips to the L48 to escape the hoards of tourons coming to AK are good times to see a Doctor... And yes, I was a tourist at one point myself.

If you mind me asking who are you getting coverage through? And assuming you make too much for any type of subsidy? (Welcome to my world - where I make just enough to not qualify)
The guy with 10 kids is one of the kindest, neatest people I've ever worked with and he has kids that are around my niece's age, so I always see him and his herd at her ballet & piano recitals.

Thanks, yes it is definitely a positive change.

Insurance at the mine is through Aetna (that's the one that jumped way up) and insurance at Banner is through Banner. With Aetna we could go to Anchorage or Seattle if we chose to and with Banner we can go to Colorado (which seems a strange choice to me).

No, I don't qualify for any subsidies.

Old 01-12-2016, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklahomagirl74 View Post
Why would you have to pay the deductible twice? That makes no sense unless you have major surgery while still insured on the first plan.
Because I am changing employers and will have a different insurance carrier. I did just have surgery in October and am in PT 3X/wk, so I pretty much had to pay the deductible all at once. And I will have to pay it again as soon as I begin at the new physical therapist because of course my current physical therapist does not take my new insurance and the out of network cost is astronomical.

Old 01-12-2016, 08:41 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,179,500 times
It will get worst for working folks who have employer-subsidized plans, unless Obamacare is reversed. The plan is to have employer-subsidized health insurance plans abolished by the early 2020's.

I am not a Republican, nor a Democrat, so I am not saying things like this (above) because of politics. As I mentioned before, my health insurance went up 265% two years ago. It does not matter if a State worker belongs to the union or not, and that's why the unions are now whining, something they din't do when "The Affordable Healthcare Plan" started.

Old 01-12-2016, 08:49 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,717,994 times
Listening to Michael Savage again, I see...

pffft
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska