Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2016, 11:42 AM

2,383 posts, read 3,104,090 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
In the US, more electricity is being generated by coal-burning plants than the rest:
https://www.eia.gov/tools/faqs/faq.cfm?id=427&t=3

Nuclear power is cleaner, except for the waste left behind. In my view it is similar to the environmentalists embracing the use of spiral CFLs to light one's homes, and then having to worry about the disposal of the of mercury inside.
---------

Now, about working in Alaska, one of the State taxes proposed by Governor Walker would be paid by all, including seasonal workers.
Don't get me started on the hypocrisy of "environmentalists" when it comes to energy production & consumption. I used to build wind turbines for a living and one would think that would make them happy... renewable energy and all that. Nope. They hated it. We got no end of bs from so called enviro groups trying to shut us down. They don't want wind or solar because it destroys the geology and wildlife habitat. They don't want nuclear because of waste disposal. Don't want coal because because because...

But all of them sure as hell flip the light switch on in the morning. Maybe it's magic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2016, 12:19 PM

1,004 posts, read 1,189,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riceme View Post
Don't get me started on the hypocrisy of "environmentalists" when it comes to energy production & consumption. I used to build wind turbines for a living and one would think that would make them happy... renewable energy and all that. Nope. They hated it. We got no end of bs from so called enviro groups trying to shut us down. They don't want wind or solar because it destroys the geology and wildlife habitat. They don't want nuclear because of waste disposal. Don't want coal because because because...

But all of them sure as hell flip the light switch on in the morning. Maybe it's magic.
You must spread the word....... I tried!

Old 01-24-2016, 02:25 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,520,099 times
Met you make very good points and as I stated before I have a lot to learn about the intricacies of AK and how it relates to everywhere else. Since Anchorage doesn't have a sales tax, it doesn't have as great an effect on the state coffers as it could. My issue is that at one point I want to be knowledgeable and involved and the other is that I have so many medical issues that I debate whether it is 'worth it' for me to understand completely.

Most states depend on the Fed for one thing or another. Even south florida which we support other areas in the state, Depend heavily on the Federal government for things. It is also the way taxes are setup. The Fed gets a lot of money to help the US as a whole no matter where it is.

The enviro-nazi's drive me crazy. If you have a problem with something bring me a solution. There isn't a solution in their eyes. And like you said, they all drive and use power at the house. They get medical care too. Not sure what solar power does that is offensive, I know windmills they think kills birds by the thousands a day. Even though AK depends on oil, I still like the idea of Solar, wind, geothermal, wave, and hydro power. Use what is practical around you. Nuclear, coal, natural gas, fuel oil have their places too.

In the US coal produces 40% of the power we use and it has been slightly declining each year. We produce more power from coal than any other single source.

Nuclear Power in the USA

Old 01-24-2016, 04:34 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,722,762 times
You can look at a lot of different studies and get a different answer about which states are the most dependent on the federal government, but my point was that Alaskans will probably be facing a personal income tax soon, and many of them will go into it kicking and screaming about the unfairness of it all. While I agree with something someone said (Stafford?) about abundant government waste in Alaska, something's got to replace the oil cash.

The "state coffers" are not funded by municipal sales taxes. That money stays in the communities in which it's collected. Anchorage could do a lot for itself by charging even one percent.

Anyway, I've seen it for years. This isn't directed at you in particular, but people move to Alaska, and five minutes later, they're "fiercely independent" hardcore Alaskans complaining about anything and everything that has to do with "outsiders." Most of them don't last five years, and most never have a clue that whatever jobs they've got wouldn't even exist if it weren't for outside financing. Alaska also has a lot of small businesses that were started by people who made good money on the pipeline or other energy jobs. Although I've never really cared for the attitude expressed by some about going to Alaska for a few years because they heard the money was good (and I'm not sure why this mindset persists; the pipeline was over years ago),

The Alaska Business Monthly is a good place to start if you want to get a grasp on some of the aspects fo Alaska's economy. Whether it's worth it you is something only you can decide, but with serious health issues, it's probably not worth the aggravation.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 01-24-2016 at 04:51 PM..

Old 01-24-2016, 07:17 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,520,099 times
Thanks Met... I didn't take it personal. But I always like to say, this is what I see and is it true to those that know better.

So far we have been up in AK for almost 2 years so I am getting closer to the 5 year mark. Second full (albeit warm for Alaska) winter too.

Thanks for the referral to that publication.

Fortunately, my previous job and life experience tells me that the Federal Government funds a whole lot of things that most people do not realize. They fund a lot of local projects and even local services are completely dependent on them. Even my wife's first job up in Anchorage for the State was entirely paid for by the Feds.

I've been told Anchorage has a law on the books that says every penny of sales tax collected must be credited to property taxes collected. It's one or the other, not both. That would mean you would have to change the local code - which won't be that simple. Or charge 10% sales tax and eliminate property taxes.

I agree that the free ride of no income or sales tax is coming to an end. The PFD is coming to an end or at least a reduction. Sucks because for us, we just got there and were hoping to utilize that savings to offset the cost of getting to Alaska and living there. But it is what it is.

Old 01-24-2016, 07:54 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,722,762 times
Well, good luck. I'm not sure where this conversation is going; my comments were specific to what you said about being angry about money leaving Alaska, and I'm not sure what you were even talking about -- seasonal workers or out-of-state corporations or what. The oil companies probably took more money out of the state than anyone, but they also put a lot back in that otherwise wouldn't be there; same for other industries. Seasonal workers are generally low wage earners who cost economies more than they contribute, so I'm not sure Alaska would gain if they all decided to stick around and become residents.

I don't recall saying that the federal government didn't fund a lot of things -- just that a state income tax will probably become a reality now that sugar daddy oil has fled Alaska's sinking ship.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 01-24-2016 at 08:08 PM..

Old 01-24-2016, 08:53 PM

2,674 posts, read 2,627,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakster View Post
The enviro-nazi's drive me crazy. If you have a problem with something bring me a solution. There isn't a solution in their eyes.
I think this is what they have in mind:

VHEMT

Old 01-24-2016, 09:35 PM

2,383 posts, read 3,104,090 times
Dak, part of their problem with solar is that some of the materials used to manufacture them are seriously nasty, bad stuff. The other issues are that... well, have you ever seen a solar plant? They're huge. I mean HUGE. They take up a tremendous footprint for relatively small power production. Of course, in enviro's eyes that is destroying the land and wildlife habitat (same offenses as wind turbines). Three strikes, you're out.

If you want to take a gander at a solar plant, Google "Kramer Junction solar plant" or "Mojave Desert solar plant" and check out images.

I am not a big fan of solar because of the low output for the footprint and the high cost per kW. I would rather see solar used in private applications as opposed to utility scale power plants, but you won't see me taking up arms to fight against it because I think it's more important that we have a balanced energy plan.

Old 01-25-2016, 02:01 AM

7,654 posts, read 5,115,503 times
Problem is solar and wind dont generate jobs unless your are manufacturing the components. Your utility bill might go down a little but my utility bill is the least of my concerns.

Renewable energy is not going to revitalize an area or get them out of the hole, its a nice to have for a community that has their stuff togehter already.

Pot might be but the problem is you cant really export it anywhere and depending on how the licencing is done either the market will be saturated and you wont make money or you wont win the drawing for a permit and wont make money (if you do win then good for you but I have never won when I played lotterys lol). Growing pot is not rocket science and once its fully legal everyone and their mom will be growing large amounts of it and peddling it on craigslist, alaska list etc etc. Sure the state can tax it but the unit cost will go through the floor so the taxes will be bupkis.

Maybe we could refine rare earth metals here but could you imagine the enviornmental red tape, I wont see it and even if it did happen it would be the same old battle between state, feds and some corrupt company who will sell out their own kids to pad their profits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakster View Post
Met you make very good points and as I stated before I have a lot to learn about the intricacies of AK and how it relates to everywhere else. Since Anchorage doesn't have a sales tax, it doesn't have as great an effect on the state coffers as it could. My issue is that at one point I want to be knowledgeable and involved and the other is that I have so many medical issues that I debate whether it is 'worth it' for me to understand completely.

Most states depend on the Fed for one thing or another. Even south florida which we support other areas in the state, Depend heavily on the Federal government for things. It is also the way taxes are setup. The Fed gets a lot of money to help the US as a whole no matter where it is.

The enviro-nazi's drive me crazy. If you have a problem with something bring me a solution. There isn't a solution in their eyes. And like you said, they all drive and use power at the house. They get medical care too. Not sure what solar power does that is offensive, I know windmills they think kills birds by the thousands a day. Even though AK depends on oil, I still like the idea of Solar, wind, geothermal, wave, and hydro power. Use what is practical around you. Nuclear, coal, natural gas, fuel oil have their places too.

In the US coal produces 40% of the power we use and it has been slightly declining each year. We produce more power from coal than any other single source.

Nuclear Power in the USA

Old 01-25-2016, 02:09 AM

7,654 posts, read 5,115,503 times
It is because there is alot of fluff in the military, mid ranks like their whipping boys. Lots of politics and power plays. IF the military was cut down to only the competent operators and people who actually know how to do something it would be a better place for everyone serving.

As a tax payer I dont want to pay for some sergants whipping boy. If you have to haze someone relentlessly to be competent then maybe they should be cut loose, and if the hazing is done for trivial reasons maybe its time to start cutting some mid rank out.

I am all for having a high functioning fully funded military but when I was in the army it was anything but, it was like they were still recruiting cannon fauder, of course this was over a decade ago so maybe the miltiary has cleaned up its act since then.

How many people do we really need to support a wing of planes, a bunch of certified comptent mechanics, a few pilots, controlers high speed operators gaurding the base. Few cooks. I just dont see the need for having a huge number of people on base.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
I understand, Dasker. My apologies if I sounded like I was in defense of the military. All I was trying to say is that the Federal Government dumps a lot of money in Alaska. Without oil, all that's left for Alaska is the Federal Government with programs, highway and other funds, the military, and so on. It may be because 61% of Alaska belongs to the Fed. Government, but I don't really know. While every now and then there is a reduction in some areas of the military, there are increases in other areas. For example, as far as I know he operation of Eielson AFB as a military base has been extended, plus a new aircraft squadron has been added.

For the past few years, the present administration has been dead-set against coal mining, and this has been detrimental to the Usibelli coal mine. However, what keeps this mine going is around five coal-burning power plants (four I remember are one at UAF, Fairbanks, Fort Wainwright, Eielson AFB).
-----------------
By the way, the Federal Government owns over 84% of Nevada
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska