Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2016, 07:16 PM

19 posts, read 21,574 times

Advertisements

Awesome, thank you! Wouldn't have thought we could call, as far as the DMV goes that makes sense. Is there a DMV in sitka? We won't be purchasing any firearms but bringing them with. We most likely plan on driving through canada which is posing issues with the firearms right now, obviously one of the many kinks we are still working out
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2016, 08:38 PM

2,993 posts, read 4,305,335 times
I sent my firearms to a FFL dealer in anchorage from a gun shop by my house at the time when I moved up. I don't remember how much this was but I believe it was mostly shipping. Just give whatever gun shop you're sending them too a call first to give them a heads up and see if there is any fee on their end. I believe you'll need an Alaska ID to pick up if it's a pistol, but not for long guns if you go that route. Maybe someone whose done it more recently can clarify.

Homer at one time had a waiting list for P.O. Boxes, especially the larger sized ones, so calling ahead definitely wouldn't hurt. I've sent myself lots of general delivery mail all over the country and I was under the impression that all U.S. post offices will accept general delivery for up to 30 days.

I used to live in Grand junction and miss certain aspects of CO from time to time, but never see myself living there again. You're probably aware that colorado is very arid and sunny compared to the part of Alaska you're moving too. Make sure you always get outside whether it's raining or not and keep up on your vitamin D and you'll be fine. I personally cannot handle too much drizzle or grey skies but some people love it. Good luck to you.

Old 02-02-2016, 09:27 PM

2,383 posts, read 3,104,090 times
It cost me a heck of a lot more on the shipping end than on the picking up end, but it varies from place to place. When I picked up at Sentry Hardware in NP they told me I got ripped off. And I did not need an Alaska ID to pick up my pistol, I used my passport.

Old 02-02-2016, 10:26 PM

1,931 posts, read 2,170,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnlvr11 View Post
Awesome, thank you! Wouldn't have thought we could call, as far as the DMV goes that makes sense. Is there a DMV in sitka? We won't be purchasing any firearms but bringing them with. We most likely plan on driving through canada which is posing issues with the firearms right now, obviously one of the many kinks we are still working out
You can mail your long guns to yourself via the post office. Not your ammo but everything else associated with a long gun. Why go through Canada? Can't you take the ferry?

Old 02-02-2016, 10:31 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,722,762 times
They're probably thinking about getting on the ferry at Prince Rupert. A lot of people who travel to SE do it that way. I think it's less expensive that way.

Old 02-02-2016, 10:42 PM

You shouldn't need an Alaskan ID to pick up your personal handgun that you already own. Just an ID. In order to purchase a handgun you would need the Alaska ID I believe.

The thing about ffls is that you will get a charge on both ends. Our local ffl charges $40 per gun just here. Some charge less, but when there is only one, they can charge whatever they want to. That's expensive and it will quickly add up. That's not including the shipping. Send your rifles and shotguns to yourself. Much cheaper.

Old 02-02-2016, 11:00 PM

2,383 posts, read 3,104,090 times
^Right... I paid $60 + some BS "fees" to ship and $10 to pick up, which is why the guys at Sentry told me I got ripped off. But I went to the only place in town and would have had to drive an hour and a half to ship from somewhere else. But it did irritate me when they told me that. At any rate, it pays to call around if you do have choices.

If memory serves, you do have to have a physical address in Alaska to put down that you're shipping to, definitely not an Alaska ID. I can't remember if I put down my cousin's address or my address at the cabin across the road, but you just have to have a physical address.

Old 02-02-2016, 11:25 PM

2,993 posts, read 4,305,335 times
$40 per gun is steep on the receiving end, but I guess that's the perk of being the only show in town. think I got a good deal on my FFL transfer I know it was less than $100 for everything including shipping and pick up. You can probably get whatever fee waived or lowered if you call them and tell them you'll buy some ammo or are interested in buying guns in the future from them. It's all negotiable, and they really don't have to do that much work, especially on the receiving end.

I was told I could not pick up my pistol that I sent to an FFL in Idaho from Alaska without an Idaho issued ID. I also could not purchase a pistol in Arizona without an AZ ID, so that's where I got that information. If I recall correctly they also have to call it in all over as if your buying it all over again? It has been a while and others have had different experiences and I am half retarded so maybe I'm wrong. I was wrong once before . I never thought about using my passport instead of state ID, maybe the passport trumps all?.... If you're getting an Alaska ID anyways you won't have to worry about it.

Since your boyfriend is getting a job at a new gun shop maybe it's possible that his new future boss already has an FFL and the fees won't be of any concern to you? He can also then hook all of us city data folk up with smokin deals on guns up here in exchange for all this priceless valuable information ?

All this gun talk has me ready for the gun show in fairbanks on the 20th. I'm looking for a ranch hand.

Old 02-03-2016, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.7traveler View Post
$40 per gun is steep on the receiving end, but I guess that's the perk of being the only show in town. think I got a good deal on my FFL transfer I know it was less than $100 for everything including shipping and pick up. You can probably get whatever fee waived or lowered if you call them and tell them you'll buy some ammo or are interested in buying guns in the future from them. It's all negotiable, and they really don't have to do that much work, especially on the receiving end.

I was told I could not pick up my pistol that I sent to an FFL in Idaho from Alaska without an Idaho issued ID. I also could not purchase a pistol in Arizona without an AZ ID, so that's where I got that information. If I recall correctly they also have to call it in all over as if your buying it all over again? It has been a while and others have had different experiences and I am half retarded so maybe I'm wrong. I was wrong once before . I never thought about using my passport instead of state ID, maybe the passport trumps all?.... If you're getting an Alaska ID anyways you won't have to worry about it.

Since your boyfriend is getting a job at a new gun shop maybe it's possible that his new future boss already has an FFL and the fees won't be of any concern to you? He can also then hook all of us city data folk up with smokin deals on guns up here in exchange for all this priceless valuable information ?

All this gun talk has me ready for the gun show in fairbanks on the 20th. I'm looking for a ranch hand.
The laws are slightly confusing. You already own the gun so any ID with your name should be fine. Many guys go that route when mailing a bear gun for a hunt. Then again my interpretation isn't he same as someone else's.

I fly with my pistols so it isn't a concern. Rifles and shotguns get mailed. If you are going through the USPS you can mail to a post office box.

You can also mail in a plain box. Kind of neat what you can mail yourself.
I'd look into the job option as well. Save money when you can.

Old 02-03-2016, 08:00 AM

19 posts, read 21,574 times
haha Aw yes!!! He has an FFL here in CO. and his new employer obviously would have one up there for the shop. That might be a given. Thanks everyone!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska