Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2016, 01:04 PM

341 posts, read 412,479 times

Advertisements

I might be getting a job in Sitka, Alaska. The job pays $35,000. I would be relcating from Chicago, Illinois. Just me no family or pets.

I know it rains a lot there, but the temperatures are more mild and not as extreme as Chicago, IL.

I been doing a Google search and not had much luck on retail housing in Sitka. Most of the rentals are furnished vacation homes rented by the week or month for ridiculous amount If I get the job, I might see if I can stay at my work until I get my housing in order. I heard living aboard might be cheaper then renting. I don't know anything about boats but if its cheap is it worth it?

Also do you need a car in Sitka? I know its an Island and doesn't look like many roads. I will have more questions in the future. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2016, 03:23 PM

284 posts, read 405,042 times
The local paper is the Daily Sitka Sentinel which you can check out on-line. They list rentals. Yes, it rains here a lot but it is part of a rain forest! Its 45 and slightly sunny today. You can get by without a vehicle here, there is public transportation. There is 14 miles of road. That's it. Rarely hear of live aboards for rent. There are always a few one bedroom rentals in the paper--one in there that sounds great for a single person. There are no "bad parts of town." People here are big on bikes--very bicycle friendly place and yes, they ride in the rain! With a vehicle, you can get anywhere in like 10 min. Be glad to answer any questions you may have!

Old 01-29-2016, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rntim View Post
The local paper is the Daily Sitka Sentinel which you can check out on-line. They list rentals. Yes, it rains here a lot but it is part of a rain forest! Its 45 and slightly sunny today. You can get by without a vehicle here, there is public transportation. There is 14 miles of road. That's it. Rarely hear of live aboards for rent. There are always a few one bedroom rentals in the paper--one in there that sounds great for a single person. There are no "bad parts of town." People here are big on bikes--very bicycle friendly place and yes, they ride in the rain! With a vehicle, you can get anywhere in like 10 min. Be glad to answer any questions you may have!
Thank you for replying from someone who actually lives in Sitka, not someone who did a google search trying to get points on City Data. There are other towns on the baranof island? What else should I know? Do you think a single person could live in Sitka on 35K? Is there a National Guard Armory in Sitka? May I ask what you do for work? Thanks.

Old 01-29-2016, 11:25 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,722,762 times
Quite a stretch from 90K in Fairbanks to 35K in Sitka. Sitka COL might be a little higher than FBs.

Will you be bringing your Prius? You'll have to take the ferry from Bellingham, which will probably be easier than driving up the AlCan in the winter.

Nobody needs to do Google searches to "get points on City Data." Points don't mean anything here. Although I agree that there are people who often Google answers for people here, they're just trying to be helpful.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 01-29-2016 at 11:42 PM..

Old 01-29-2016, 11:44 PM

1,004 posts, read 1,189,207 times
90% of the stupid questions I see on here can be answered by a google search. If people are so stupid that they dont know how to use google they shouldn't have a computer or a smart phone![rant over]

Old 01-30-2016, 02:41 AM

Yes I know the fairbanks job I guess I am not getting.
Most questions s can be answered with Google but I was
looking for non Google answers. Maybe from folks who been
there or living there. I would not take my car. Thank you to the yrolls.

Old 01-30-2016, 08:46 AM

10,559 posts, read 7,758,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TGPII View Post
There are other towns on the baranof island? What else should I know?.. Is there a National Guard Armory in Sitka? ..
Dunno about a National Guard, but there's a big Coast Guard air station in Sitka.

It's known as Baranof island, not "the"...

Port Alexander and Little Port Walter, in the SE corner of the island, are the wettest locations in SE Alaska, with 168 and 225 annual inches of rain, respectively.

I suggest a Google maps search of the island, to get an idea of the topography.

Old 01-30-2016, 03:28 PM

Yeah you could make it on 35k. There are a couple small "towns" that can only be reached by small plane or boat. Coast Guard is here. And the Trooper academy. Most places you'd probably be interested in are gonna run ya 800-1000/mth. Try to check places that include utilities. You are a Chicago guy so food prices might be about the same. There is a bus system here. One thing you should know--this place is small, not any night life so to speak. If you are outdoorsy, its a wonderful place. Learn about bear spray if you want to go out and about on the trails. We had a bear killed here because of some stupid tourists getting to close to take pictures and it was finally shot because it got too aggressive. There are a lot of bears (brown bears) at the far north end of town during the salmon runs. Not to scare you, but they are around. Good rain gear is a must--you can get it here. Try to get a place lined up to move into before you come! The sooner the better cause herring season will be coming in March and folks pour into town to work thru the fishing season. This is a great place to live! People are great, there is very little crime. Sea Mart is one of the grocery stores that you can look up on-line to see prices. My wife and I are both nurses. Cell service is good with most carriers. GCI is the most common internet service. You could find a "Sitka clunker" cheap most likely if you need a vehicle. Takes me a year to put three thousand miles on my truck. Sitka.com is another place to check out classifieds under forums. Rain doesn't stop anything around here. Lots of cool stuff goes on in the summer and fall.

Old 01-30-2016, 03:45 PM

If you have any real specific questions, I'll be glad to answer them. You will hear folks tell you all about the rain. Rain is just rain and this is one beautiful place regardless. You will have to contend with very small town I assume because of your current location. Good luck man!

Old 01-30-2016, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rntim View Post
If you have any real specific questions, I'll be glad to answer them. You will hear folks tell you all about the rain. Rain is just rain and this is one beautiful place regardless. You will have to contend with very small town I assume because of your current location. Good luck man!
Considering a move to Sitka from Missouri
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska