Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2016, 12:05 AM

32 posts, read 149,078 times

Advertisements

Hi folks, I'd like to solicit some of your opinions about what it's like to live and work in Juneau. I've never visited Juneau but I have this fascination about the place and I'm at a point in my life where I could make a temporary (or permanent) move to the area. I'm going to ask a bunch of questions and if you feel you are able to speak about any of them, please share your opinion. I don't expect any one person to answer all these questions!

Before I begin and as a caveat, I lived in Seattle for ten years and I worked in Anchorage for four months (summer months but I returned for a visit in the month of January once). What I'm trying to say is that I more or less get the weather. Juneau's weather is actually a draw to me. With that said though, how do you feel about winter activities in the area? Are a lot of the hiking trails snowed over or closed during the winter months? What is skiing at Eaglecrest like? Any good? In the summers months how is boating around Juneau? I'd prefer canoe and/or kayak but I'd also prefer to be in the inlets as opposed to a lake. Is that just not realistic? Speaking of water, how clear is the water in the lakes and inlets around Juneau? Is there a lot of sea life that can be seen? I remember visiting Vancouver, B.C. while living in Seattle and I would see huge red star-fish in the waters around the city. Any thing like that in and around Juneau?

So, realistically, does anyone hire someone that doesn't already live in Juneau? I keep hitting a bunch of dead-ends with my job search. I'm not so interested in mentioning my field of work as I am hearing about the likelihood of being hired while I'm still living in California. Would it make sense to move up there, live off of my savings and look for work once I arrive?

I know housing is a big issue. We'll skip that for now. Let's just say I would be looking for a roommate situation. I don't want to live alone right off the bat because I don't know the area or anyone up there. Having a roommate would help me in that sense.

I should say that I am an almost forty-year old gay man. I'm not looking for a San Francisco, West Hollywood, Miami type scene (at all). Been there done that. What I would like to know is how accepting of gay men are the people in the area? I'm fairly masculine, some could tell I'm gay, others not. I'm single, out to friends and family, and not at all into the bar or club scene (not that there is any, I get that). In terms of progressiveness, how are the residents of Juneau with gay couples, gay neighbors, two men dining out on a weekend night (obviously they are "together"), etc. Just curious...

If anyone would like to comment on the many questions I have asked, please do. I appreciate it. I don't know anyone in Juneau and I have found it hard to find anyone to chat with on Facebook or other social media sites. I appreciate any and all feedback and I look forward to a visit sometime in the very near future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2016, 09:06 AM

10,555 posts, read 7,750,499 times
Hiring outsiders in skilled professions is quite common, from what I gather, because sometimes it's difficult finding qualified individuals from the local labor pool. However,you will not find many people that would be comfortable recommending a move prior to lining up employment, for reasons you're probably familiar with.

Eaglecrest can be hit or miss. The last two seasons, it's been a huge miss. Of course, lack of precipitation is never the problem. Winters seem to be warming more noticeably than the other seasons, unfortunately. So, the problems are either lack of snowfall or too much wet snow. When it's good it's really good though. A Seattle area ski instructor friend of mine came here for one winter to work, and he rated highly. In fact, he planned to move here.

Hiking trails aren't closed per se, but they can become treacherous due to icy conditions and avalanche danger. With crampons, snow shoes or skis you could still go just about anywhere.

It's entirely realistic to kayak or canoe in places other than lakes, but ocean waters are quite murky-and cold.

Gay friendly? I don't know about this, but in general Juneau is a more liberal environment than most other communities in Alaska. My wife, who is much more in touch with social scenes, thinks it is.

Old 08-07-2016, 10:54 PM

32 posts, read 149,078 times
Blind Cleric, thank you for your response. I know the only way to truly get a feel for the place is to take a visit. Something I hope to do soon. Thank you again for your reply!

Old 08-09-2016, 11:40 AM

863 posts, read 2,077,628 times
One thing to keep in mind is that coastal Alaska doesn't really have a "dry season" like the Seattle area does. Getting through the soggy Seattle winter is easier knowing that there will reliably be lots of warm sunny days in July and August. High summer in Juneau is more like April, May, October in Seattle. You have to really, honestly like gray, drizzly weather, not just tolerate it..

Old 08-09-2016, 08:40 PM

406 posts, read 756,076 times
Juneau is a bedroom community of Seattle, where the Liberals are going to start their assault on the rest of Alaska..............

Old 08-10-2016, 01:01 AM

1,004 posts, read 1,188,802 times
All stocked up on ammo, no worry!

Old 08-10-2016, 12:01 PM

10,555 posts, read 7,750,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heathen View Post
.. You have to really, honestly like gray, drizzly weather, not just tolerate it..
It certainly helps to like it.

Old 08-16-2016, 12:25 PM

5,356 posts, read 18,542,136 times
The State of Alaska is the biggest employer in Juneau, but I believe there is a hiring freeze and potential layoffs due to an under funded budget. As Blind Cleric said, a lot will depend on your job skills and if they're in demand. While coming up without a job can be a problem, I've known several people who've done it. The only difference now is you'll be competing against state workers already here.

I believe roommate situations are available, but I have no idea how you'd find one. Most that I know of are people who room at a friend's house. Another alternative is to house sit. I know of one person who house/pet sits through the summer. During the winter, she house sits a condo where the owners move south for the winter. Most of these situations are by word of mouth for finding them. Staying on a moored boat is another option.

I believe there is a sizable gay population in Juneau. Most here have a live and let live philosophy so you shouldn't have any problems. I believe there are occasional gay functions through the year.

One thing to be aware of is that it's expensive to travel to/from Juneau. Your only options are air and ferry travel. Ferry travel takes days to get south, so the cost equalizes versus air travel. Oh, and be aware that to your friends and family, it costs more for them to get to Alaska than for you to visit them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska