U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2016, 01:51 PM

20,437 posts, read 26,568,031 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rance View Post
Where the heck are the trails? .
http://ridealaska.com/archive/snowmachine-trails

Maybe if more people actually paid the registration, costs wouldn't be going up and Alaskans would have more trails.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2016, 04:34 PM

16,176 posts, read 27,459,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rance View Post
Where the heck are the trails? We don't have any maintained or groomed trails in the Sterling area! I do register our machines and keep current tags on them, mostly because when we do ride, it's across Skilak Lake to the cabin and that's partial state and mostly federal lands...which means a ticket if no current registration. But I know many owners that don't even bother to register their machines.
All registration taxes and park fees are going up. But agree with you in relation to trails. It's snowmobilers ("snowmachiners"), hunters, trappers, cabin and land owners like you, and such taking care of them. Also firefighters create and widen a lot of trails in the interior during the fire season. The trails maintained by the State usually are in State parks and such, some of which are paved (I don't use nor have the need for such). BLM is usually closing and monitoring some of the old trails Alaskans have used for years. Now one better pay attention to the BLM signs, or one risks a big fine.

You won't see me at State and Federal parks.

Old 03-21-2016, 09:38 PM

331 posts, read 499,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
If you can't afford it, it's probably time to hit the AlCan. It's only a $10 increase of what you're (presumably) already paying.

Sponsor Statement: HB 319

Are you aware of what your fees pay for? I doubt it.

Another typical fiercely independent Alaskan, crying a freakin' river when you might actually have to pay for something. Someone call the waaambulance. This is more pathetic than Pitts crying over spilled beer and pizza costs.

I'll tell you what -- if the increase is too hard for you to manage, I'll set up a GoFundMe page to help you out

I really am sorry to sound harsh, but seriously -- Alaska residents have had a free ride for so long. If you actually love the state, step up and help pay for things. I don't see a thing wrong with this bill, especially since the money doesn't seem to go into the general fund but is instead used for snow machine related expense. I wouldn't have even responded to this thread if it hadn't been for some commentary on your part about how fisheries should be heavily taxed to pay for your amenities (we already are, which you seemed to be ignorant of).

I think some of you got too used to sugar daddy oil buying you shiny toys. Time to put up, shut up, or hit the highway. The free ride is over.

Since you seem to know so much about it and are so happy to steal money from others. Why don't you move to Chicago you will fit right in!

Old 03-21-2016, 10:26 PM

841 posts, read 611,526 times
You ave to pay to play.

Old 03-21-2016, 10:36 PM

LOL.

I won't dignify your wild accusation about "stealing money from others" with anything but this: I'm pretty sure I'll be giving the state way more money this year than anyone on this forum as well as the vast majority of Alaskan residents. Unbelievable that you're bawling like a baby over a slight increase because Big Oil isn't picking up your tab anymore.

You should consider Chicago yourself -- I heard welfare recipients do pretty well there.

Sigh. This kind of mentality actually represents the worst of Alaska -- the people who washed up during and after the oil boom days and handed corrupt politicians carte blanche to plunder the state coffers in exchange for "the check." Oh well. It's over now, and your kind (freeloaders) will be gone soon enough. Good riddance is all I can say. It's time you were some other state's problem, but you won't find the same gravy train you milked into the ground in Alaska anywhere else.

I've been an Alaskan resident more often than not throughout my lifetime, and honestly, mitgreb, I find you and those with similar entitlement mentalities an embarrassment to the state. Don't you even have enough pride to pay an extra $10 instead of crying a river when other funding sources dry up? Why should everyone else keep paying your way?

Last edited by Metlakatla; 03-21-2016 at 11:51 PM..

Old 03-21-2016, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music_Man View Post
You ave to pay to play.
Pretty much so, and most snowmachine enthusiasts I've met seem to be smart enough to understand this. Used to have some great times up at the Forks Roadhouse. From what I've read, this bill is actually favored by responsible Alaskans who are able to understand that there isn't exactly a long line of people waiting to pay their bills.

Old 03-22-2016, 12:07 AM

841 posts, read 611,526 times
A license is required for many things in life, some times for a job too. Pay up or go to some place that doesn't require the license.

Old 03-22-2016, 12:12 AM

16,176 posts, read 27,459,755 times
Some registrations just went up in price. I just registered a small trailer, and the cost increased from $20.00 to $30.00. Park fees (State parks off the road) will probably cost more this year, too.

Old 03-22-2016, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
LOL.

I won't dignify your wild accusation about "stealing money from others" with anything but this: I'm pretty sure I'll be giving the state way more money this year than anyone on this forum as well as the vast majority of Alaskan residents. Unbelievable that you're bawling like a baby over a slight increase because Big Oil isn't picking up your tab anymore.

You should consider Chicago yourself -- I heard welfare recipients do pretty well there.

Sigh. This kind of mentality actually represents the worst of Alaska -- the people who washed up during and after the oil boom days and handed corrupt politicians carte blanche to plunder the state coffers in exchange for "the check." Oh well. It's over now, and your kind (freeloaders) will be gone soon enough. Good riddance is all I can say. It's time you were some other state's problem, but you won't find the same gravy train you milked into the ground in Alaska anywhere else.

I've been an Alaskan resident more often than not throughout my lifetime, and honestly, mitgreb, I find you and those with similar entitlement mentalities an embarrassment to the state. Don't you even have enough pride to pay an extra $10 instead of crying a river when other funding sources dry up? Why should everyone else keep paying your way?

Can't match those insults.. Thank goodness you don't know what I have or have not done in my life time.

The fact is that this bill is supported by people that know they will be the beneficiary of the taking of money from far more who will not.

I have been a long time advocate of getting rid of this TAX and replacing it with a trail head fee system. You know, a user TAX. That all the users of the trail pay. In the areas that far out number the Groomed trail miles there would be no fees. There would be a public process set up to add or remove the designated trails. The money collected at each trail would be designated to that trail by the same process as now. Except there would be no board to determine who should get the money. If the legislature even appropriates it, same as now; if they don't put it in the budget it stays in the general fund.

How do you think the funds that are given out today are tracked to be sure they are used as intended?

Old 03-22-2016, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music_Man View Post
A license is required for many things in life, some times for a job too. Pay up or go to some place that doesn't require the license.

Or if you want something pay for it yourself. Without using the government to take from others for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska