Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2016, 09:25 AM

19 posts, read 21,452 times

Advertisements

Ok where do you start? Do you need to have Drivers License first?

Coming up in May but not officially moving until next March to Sitka, Alaska. We have a offer of employment and a Physical address. How can we get the ball rolling? If we get a PO box up there in May what will they require?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2016, 10:02 AM

459 posts, read 604,434 times
To get a PO box up here in my village, you need a physical address and plan on staying more than 30 days. If you are less than 30 days, you can get your mail general delivery. But call the local post office first to find out more.

Old 03-25-2016, 10:45 AM

2,993 posts, read 4,275,958 times
When I was in Homer they required me to bring in a lease, utility bill or even a letter from an Alaskan resident stating that I lived with them or was renting from them at such and such address. So any proof of your physical address should suffice. I don't know if sitka gets as many seasonal workers as homer but there also was a waiting period for PO boxes a few summers ago down there.

If you're trying to establish residency but not officially moving until next March? (I believe it starts from January 1st for PFD purposes so by coming back in March you wouldn't qualify for the PFD until 2018, so I would just stay from May 2016 on) I would

A) get a driver license
B) register to vote
C) register my vehicles here
D) get a local telephone number
E) file next years taxes here
F) keep a copy of my first lease or utility bills
F) a big thing they check for on the PFD is if you cut ties with your other state. You should cut all ties with your other state.
G) if you're actually living here it's not hard to establish residency. Mainly just by doing the same stuff you would normally do while cutting all ties with your previous state is good enough.

Old 03-25-2016, 12:36 PM

26,536 posts, read 36,426,358 times
What's the hurry to establish residency?

Establish residency when you actually start living there, not almost a whole year in advance. Otherwise, people might think you're angling for the check or something.

Old 03-25-2016, 01:30 PM

1,931 posts, read 2,152,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post

Establish residency when you actually start living there, not almost a whole year in advance. Otherwise, people might think you're angling for the check or something.
I would agree.

It seems that the check is the driving force...

Which, the OP would not qualify for anyways, b/c of the time spent out of the state.

Old 03-25-2016, 01:36 PM

284 posts, read 401,793 times
As Met said. I think it isn't too cool to start establishing residency when you aren't going to even start living here until next March. We just had two guys that live like next door that just moved here recently who went and got AK drivers licenses, then go buy resident fishing licenses. Wildlife troopers visited them yesterday. I'm betting the store where they got said licenses might have tipped troopers off. Just in terms of hunting, fishing regulations there is a big difference in cost regarding resident vs. non-residents. The same goes in terms of what and how a resident can hunt, fish and keep limits and not needing a hunting guide for certain species. Non-residents pay much higher costs vs. residents. As for myself, I am not really keen on folks that try to skirt those laws, speaking from an avid fisherman and hunter point of view.

Old 03-25-2016, 01:43 PM

26,536 posts, read 36,426,358 times
This isn't the first time the OP has asked about establishing residency. Exact same questions about a P.O. Box here:

Sitka

OP -- listen up. The answers to your questions aren't going to change no matter how many times you ask. You establish residency in Alaska when you actually move to the state, not on the day you get a P.O. Box that you won't even be using because -- hello, you won't be living there yet. Also, keep in mind that the check is no longer a given for Alaska residents.

Old 03-25-2016, 02:07 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,478,301 times
Agreed, you establish residency when you are permanently here. With the intent to remain a permanently here. (That is what the AK statute says in regards to PFD)

Saying you are coming up to look around, go back home, and then come back doesn't cut it... And to most of us reeks of trying to bilk the system.

Old 03-25-2016, 07:08 PM

2,383 posts, read 3,074,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post

^What she said.

Old 03-25-2016, 07:41 PM

104 posts, read 107,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnlvr11 View Post
Ok where do you start? Do you need to have Drivers License first?

Coming up in May but not officially moving until next March to Sitka, Alaska. We have a offer of employment and a Physical address. How can we get the ball rolling? If we get a PO box up there in May what will they require?
Residency means you live there. And not necessarily physically. Pretty much just claiming you are a resident is enough to be one. It's not some special status or something. What country did you come from?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska