U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2016, 10:51 PM

741 posts, read 467,998 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by riceme View Post
Kansas is beautiful, if you love the plains. I do.
To flat for me, I get lost with no mountains for reference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2016, 11:44 PM

1,127 posts, read 1,455,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Music_Man View Post
Heh, I had an anxiety attack once when I flew in to Minneapolis to visit with the wife's family. All I saw from the air during the approach was flat land, no coast, no mountains... That freaked me out . All of my life I have lived near the coast, the mountains, or between the two.

Old 04-16-2016, 12:02 AM

3,050 posts, read 2,371,562 times
If I had to live in either Seward or Homer, I'd live in Homer - I like the town better. But if I was going to road trip to one or the other, IMO Seward is the obvious choice.

Old 04-16-2016, 01:05 AM

1,789 posts, read 1,399,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Music_Man View Post
I was lost for that reason pretty much the whole time I lived in Florida, but their roads are not built on grids. The entire state of Kansas is built on a 90* grid, making it virtually impossible to get lost, even without mountains as landmarks.

Old 04-16-2016, 05:25 AM

4,044 posts, read 2,816,852 times
Thanks to all who answered!

AK76, thanks for the suggestion of a cruise on PWS. It sounds like that's something we'd enjoy.

It looks like it's a toss up, so I've decided that since we're in the area, we'll go to BOTH Seward and Homer and I'll give you my opinion after we've seen both places.

We'll be typical tourists pulling travel trailers. Since we have no set itinerary, will we have a hard time finding a campground for a night or two in either places without reservations?

Are you allowed to park travel trailers somewhere in a parking lot (they allow travel trailers park in Walmart here) or out of the way on the side of a road? We won't want to be woken in the night with State troopers banging at our door in the middle of the night

Last edited by gouligann; 04-16-2016 at 05:37 AM..

Old 07-30-2016, 05:07 AM

Well guys, we are back from our "trip of a lifetime" and Alaska was simply amazing! We went from Dawson city by ferry over to the Top of the World highway. Wow, quite an experience with the dusty roads and gorgeous mountain vistas on both sides. Of course our friends had a flat 15 minutes into the ride lol. I would recommend every tourist to do it once at least. I must say that I was never so glad to see Chicken! LOL We got out, stretched our legs, filled up the gas tanks, had a coffee and were on our way again. I had no idea what Chicken was, but it was a great little place and I will always remember it as being a lifesaver getting off the highway for a break.
The border crossing from Yukon into Alaska was a surprise. One little building and we breezed through with no problems. It was nice to ride on some pavement for a few miles afterwards LOL

Some of those huge dips and bumps on the road would make someone who is motion sick toss their cookies LOL. I think our travel trailer lifted off the ground about a foot on one of the bumps. Sadly we spilled some wine that I had propped in the sink thinking it was a secure spot to put it. The bottle was on the floor and the stopper was across the hallway lol.

Yes, we were in a lineup to wash our truck and trailer in Tok! LOL I wrote a happy face in the dust on the trailer window.

Anyways, we went to Seward and Homer, the scenery was gorgeous and I thank all of you for recommending them. We went out on a fishing boat and had a blast catching Halibut! What a great tasting fish and so fun to catch although my arms were killing me trying to reel them up.
I loved all the shops on the Homer Spit and the people were all so friendly. We found a wonderful campground looking over the water at the mountains beyond. What a view to wake up to in the morning!

We will always remember our trip to your beautiful state!

PS, very sad that you have so many of those Hog Wart plants growing everywhere along the side of the highways. A lot of the highways in BC have the same problem. They haven't reached our area in Ontario, but I imagine they will eventually. We were very careful when we let our dog out for a stretch.

Old 07-31-2016, 07:45 PM

1,127 posts, read 1,455,291 times
Good to hear you enjoyed your trip so much! I have to tell that I literally was scratching my head over "Hog Wart plants growing everywhere", no clue what you are referring to.

Old 07-31-2016, 08:36 PM

Giant Hogweed - NYS Dept. of Environmental Conservation

Sorry, wrong name. Giant Hog Weed

Old 07-31-2016, 09:07 PM

3,050 posts, read 2,371,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
Quote:
In Alaska, there has only been one documented occurrence of giant hogweed in Kake. This infestation site has been successfully eradicated, and continually monitored.
Alaska Plant Materials Center | State of Alaska | Department of Natural Resources | Division of Agriculture

Maybe you were seeing wild carrot?

Old 07-31-2016, 09:26 PM

No, these plants were very tall with large flowers growing along the sides of the road. Not Queen Anne's Lace. We have that in Ontario.

We saw people in protective suits spraying them, but I can't remember exactly where along the way. Maybe it was poison Hemlock? I don't know...

Last edited by gouligann; 07-31-2016 at 09:36 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska