U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2016, 06:38 AM

4,044 posts, read 2,819,885 times

Advertisements

Hi all, we are planning a road trip this summer pulling our travel trailer from Ontario up to Alaska then down to Vancouver Island. We don't have a time table, but want to see the sights without driving endlessly for miles and miles around the circle route. (I was told it was a beautiful route but VERY LONG)

This shortened version is the route I have tentatively planned from Whitehorse and back to Whitehorse.

Whitehorse, YT
Dawson City, YT
Homer, Ak
Anchorage, AK
Whitehorse, YT

Please tell me what you think, or are there any changes you would suggest that would be similar in mileage but better for these Canuck tourists to enjoy your state?
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2016, 11:52 AM

4,539 posts, read 1,520,887 times
I take it you are driving up the Alaska Highway and taking either the Cassier Hwy or the ferry to Vancouver Island. Yellowhead up to Edmonton. One necessary stop is the Liard Hot Springs on the Alaska Hwy in BC. I think it is a must stop. I would also recommend the trip down from Yukon to Skagway, not too long a drive and very beautiful.

From Dawson City you must be planning on teh Top of The World Highway. I am told that it is very beautiful. I have driven it once however the fog was so bad I had no idea what was beside the road.

Take extra spare tires and a fuel can. It will be a lovely trip.

Old 04-05-2016, 02:39 PM

4,718 posts, read 8,232,767 times
I like Top of the World Highway... It was clear the one time we went... And 100% mud... I could even read the raised logos on the back of our vehicle by the time we got to Chicken. The US Border Patrol (ICE) at Moose Pass had a broom so she could knock the mud off to read the license plate. As I had a vehicle from a state that doesn't use front plates.

Another good sight to see in your country is Banff and the ice field parkway. I was amazed at that drive too.

On your way to Homer (which makes you drive through Anchorage anyways) you might want to drive to Fairbanks, either going to or from Alaska. That way you can see Denali.... Since you are not on a time table - Pioneer Park, Chena Hot Springs are good short diversions, as is North Pole, AK. Definitely go the more eastern route up thru Palmer too, because the Mat-Su Valley and glaciers you will see on that route are worth seeing too. There is so much to see here, it's almost hard to go "wrong".

There is still tons of stuff left on the table -- I took a day when we went up to Fairbanks and drove to the Arctic Circle...

Old 04-05-2016, 02:39 PM

2,433 posts, read 3,553,463 times
The Milepost ( The Bible of North Country Travel - The MILEPOST ) will be a handy guide to the drive.

Old 04-05-2016, 03:51 PM

Thank you so much to ALL of you. You've given me some places to look up and think about.

I might have to go and change the route to a few of these places where you say are worth seeing.
THANKS AGAIN!

Old 04-05-2016, 04:03 PM

742 posts, read 468,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKStafford View Post
The Milepost ( The Bible of North Country Travel - The MILEPOST ) will be a handy guide to the drive.
Definitelyworth the price! It is a must for most people!!

Old 04-05-2016, 04:40 PM

4,539 posts, read 1,520,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakster View Post
I like Top of the World Highway... It was clear the one time we went... And 100% mud... I could even read the raised logos on the back of our vehicle by the time we got to Chicken. The US Border Patrol (ICE) at Moose Pass had a broom so she could knock the mud off to read the license plate. As I had a vehicle from a state that doesn't use front plates.

Another good sight to see in your country is Banff and the ice field parkway. I was amazed at that drive too.

On your way to Homer (which makes you drive through Anchorage anyways) you might want to drive to Fairbanks, either going to or from Alaska. That way you can see Denali.... Since you are not on a time table - Pioneer Park, Chena Hot Springs are good short diversions, as is North Pole, AK. Definitely go the more eastern route up thru Palmer too, because the Mat-Su Valley and glaciers you will see on that route are worth seeing too. There is so much to see here, it's almost hard to go "wrong".

There is still tons of stuff left on the table -- I took a day when we went up to Fairbanks and drove to the Arctic Circle...
Yes that border crossing, we were in an old pickup truck, had a shotgun , the box as filled with boxes and camping gear, a simple cab no back to it and yet she walked around three times repeatedly asking us if we had any dogs. We were two students spent the summer on a mountain watching caribou and no we had no room for a dog.

Another short detour would be before you get to Dawson City turn north onto the Dempster Highway and go as far as Tombstone Mountain. sinmply beautiful

Old 04-05-2016, 04:41 PM

4,718 posts, read 8,232,767 times
FWIW, up here the new ones just hit Wal Mart... Having a hard copy of things with you is a must as there are a ton of places with no cell phone or internet... Since we are venturing into the how to make the trip advice now.

Old 04-05-2016, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music_Man View Post
Definitelyworth the price! It is a must for most people!!

Thanks! I'll check it out. Cheaper on amazon!

Old 04-05-2016, 07:54 PM

1,127 posts, read 1,455,888 times
IMO, Fairbanks is a huge waste of time. I would divert at Paxson off the Richardson HWY and head west along the Denali HWY to the Parks HWY (if not-continue along the Richardson to Glenallen, or beautiful Valdez(The Great Alaska Pipeline Terminal city) and turn around)on the way to Anchorage, or on the return from Anchorage, take the Parks HWY to Cantwell and turn east on the Denali HWY heading to Paxson. The Denali HWY between Paxson and Cantwell is oft overlooked when threads like these arise, I know not why, but after 40years in Alaska I still am of the opinion that it is the most beautiful drive to be had. FYI, it is about 90miles of gravel road once you leave the asphalt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska