Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Alaska: education, teaching creationism, homeschooling, Christianity, diversity.

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2008, 10:48 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,455,221 times

Advertisements

Wow.... the rational and logical comments on this board are making me seriously consider a move to Alaska. I downright cringe when I hear someone try to assert that the Earth is 6000 years old based on "scientific evidence." I suppose that living in Mississippi, I shouldn't expect to be at the focus of scientific endeavour...

If you really want to see some of the zaniest arguments ever in regards to creationism having "scientific merit" stop by the religion forum some time. I was recently informed that the continents drifted apart at stunning feet per hour ratios (meaning they floated) and Plato even saw it with no tsunami or earthquake to follow! AMAZING!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2008, 10:50 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,686,990 times
That religion forum is scary. I've been down there and survived though. I stay up here now.

Old 02-14-2008, 10:54 PM

1,252 posts, read 1,046,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeehound View Post
Um, okay? Far as I'm concerned, life is a contradictory and difficult business sometimes.

You can be impressed or not, just as you please.
It's not passed off as just a matter of life being contradictory.

You don't even have a primary grade understanding of the meaning of the words you string together.

You say the trouble with secularism today is some substitution of diversity for piety?

Piety means devotion to religious principles. Piety is a direct contradiction to anything which could in any way be construed to be defining of secularism.

It's simple, you're speaking total nonsense.

You might as well be speaking in tongues.

Please, ....remedial education is available, make use of the opportunity.

Old 02-14-2008, 10:57 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,939,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
That religion forum is scary. I've been down there and survived though. I stay up here now.
Fundamentalism always reminds me of Brother Justin from the HBO series Carnivale.

Old 02-14-2008, 10:58 PM

205 posts, read 740,118 times
It made sense to me. I took it to mean that 'piety,' meaning the religious point of view being the Correct One, has been replaced by secularism -- so that now, everything is relative, including right and wrong, and diversity is celebrated at the expense of unity, and the Current Correct Point of View is the non-religious one -- "Secularism."

I am sure I will get raked for coming up with these words, but putting it into words came after realizing I understood the comment and wanted to express it. I may of course, be totally mistaken!

Old 02-14-2008, 11:03 PM

269 posts, read 542,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alice2 View Post
It made sense to me. I took it to mean that 'piety,' meaning the religious point of view being the Correct One, has been replaced by secularism -- so that now, everything is relative, including right and wrong, and diversity is celebrated at the expense of unity, and the Current Correct Point of View is the non-religious one -- "Secularism."

I am sure I will get raked for coming up with these words, but putting it into words came after realizing I understood the comment and wanted to express it. I may of course, be totally mistaken!
Yes, essentially. I really didn't think it was that hard a line of thought to understand. But hey, what do I know about words? I'm just a lowly English major.

Old 02-14-2008, 11:04 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,855,038 times
It seems to bother me at times that people want to believe something so fervently that they accept it as fact. I remember when prayer was allowed in schools. I also remember quite fondly when prayer was banned from schools. I had a friend when I lived in Richmond Va. He was a Jewish guy, didn't bother me a bit, it wasn't his religion I cared about, we played baseball on the same team and he was a good shortstop, I couldn't have cared less what he believed. I also remember him walking out of the classroom crying because the teacher had brought him to the front of the class and had the whole class pray for his soul because he was going to hell, because he didn't accept Jesus. I saw similar scenes played out in California, Tennessee, Texas, children being shamed in front of their peers because of their religions. I was truly happy when that madness was stopped. I was expelled for three days in Va. because I walked out of class behind him, to be with my friend. Yeah, I do have trouble with religion being inserted into the school system.

Old 02-14-2008, 11:07 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,686,990 times
Dusty--it makes me sick that some people want to bring this sort of thing back. Good for you for walking out.

Old 02-14-2008, 11:13 PM

269 posts, read 542,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Dusty--it makes me sick that some people want to bring this sort of thing back. Good for you for walking out.
But I don't think they really do. I think what they want is some kind of actual, er, respect and recognition for their beliefs and value system, which the public schools don't accord.

Far as I can see, there is little to recommend the public school's secular-humanist value system to anyone who doesn't already fervently believe in it. If you do place your faith in that belief system, then it is going to seem as "true" and logical and objectively fair as the air you breathe.

If you've got your doubts, it's apt to look like a left-wing hostile takeover of American thought.

Dunno that there is a good way to reconcile those perspectives when it comes to something as deadly serious as what our children are taught about the world.

Old 02-14-2008, 11:15 PM

1,252 posts, read 1,046,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alice2 View Post

Piety has no definition that remotely connotes any correctness.

Secularism denotes attitudes or activities that have no religious basis.

Nothing in the misuse and abuse of basic definitions of words has anything to do with anything being at all 'relevant'.

It's the totality of the irrelevance of misusing and not understanding what words mean that is relevant.

Ideas and concepts cannot be expressed without having uniform meanings.

Introducing 'unity' or 'diversity' where there is no applicable sense to doing so, only further muddles the chance that any coherent concept is actually being proposed.

Before one attempts to discuss abstractions, one has to have a basic understanding of what is definitely not abstract.

When you see no distinction between the two, all you have is nonsense.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
View detailed profiles of: