Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2007, 10:27 AM

366 posts, read 386,493 times

Advertisements

Thanks Urth; your post is pretty much the way it is. Klawock is mild though compared to more remote communities.

Last edited by Rainy; 04-11-2007 at 10:39 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2007, 06:05 AM

1,513 posts, read 3,387,251 times
As a long-time Alaska resident who has lived in Bush communities (including Bethel), I have a few thoughts. The most important is that not all Bush communities are created equal. Some are much more accepting of "outsiders/newcomers" than others. As far having a strike against you for being white, I'd have to disagree; most communities expect the teachers will be white. That's a fact of life in the Bush because few locals take advantage of the accelerated teaching certificate available to locals let alone go the whole nine yards to become fully credentialed. This does not mean that non-natives won't be discriminated against in some places. Actually, some smaller communities will haze the new teacher to see how gullible or tolerant or strict or "whatever" he/she is.

The strikes against a teacher, either from the community or from the school administration, are varied:

1. Allen's # 1 point is valid. Learn about the community first and show compassion, caring, and understanding before trying to change it. Become involved in both the community and the extra-curricular activities offered at the school. In most smaller communities, the school offers the only academic and recreational outlet for the children; the more involved the teachers, the more opportunities for the kids. (Surprisingly, non-school activities and non-school personnel aren't always widely supported. The community often looks with distrust at the person not affiliated with the school in some form.) Teachers shouldn't feel forced into these activities, yet they should recognize it comes with the territory. Teachers will probably need to learn to set limits on the school's expectations encroaching on personal time.

2. My pet peeve is teachers that don't consider the community their home. Bethel is famous for teachers who hop the first plane out of town at the end of any school session and arrive on the last plane before school starts; I know the same is true in many other Bush communities. Most of these teachers are long-term and are raising families in the community; yet, they don't consider the Bush community home. It sends a message, very loudly and clearly, that the Bush isn't "good enough" for the teacher's family. Personally, I'm irritated by any person working in the community that has this attitude, whether it be a teacher, a Sunday School worker, doctor/nurse, etc. It's one thing to go on vacation; it's another entirely to live somewhere else during off hours. These people are not seriously interested in investing in the community. A teacher who embraces the community, is interested in learning native traditions, and strives to understand the village's history and uniqueness will be accepted much more readily. Teachers should expect to attend social functions and interact with the locals.

3. Many Bush schools are academically challenged. I'm not convinced that's unique only to the Bush, though. A teacher that writes off his/her students without attempting to improve their education should never be accepted. Acknowledge the students are not up to grade level, and be willing to "go back" and work on bring them up. Most children will rise to the occasion if given the opportunity; however, most teachers teach to the lowest level and allow children to stay there rather than raise the bar and encourage improvement.

4. Bush teachers need to be very flexible. Life happens, and some life situations affect the whole community including the school children. Know that time will be taken off, en mass, if there is a tragic event. However, don't let the children or their families take advantage of this circumstance beyond a reasonable time. Students also take time off to meet planes, celebrate warm weather, just because they're allowed to, etc. Severe weather often hampers attendance. Teachers need to plan their schedules accordingly. If the plane arrives during math class, consider teaching math at a different time of day if the students are habitually missing this important class.

5. Experienced teachers come to the Bush with the attitude that what they did in one location will also work in the Bush. They "know it all" and aren't open to learning new ideas. Teachers need to humble themselves enough to listen to the administration and locals about what works best in a particular Bush school. Teachers should feel free to offer suggestions, but not be dogmatic about doing things "their way" if the administration already knows "their way" doesn't work.

6. New teachers come to the Bush with an overinflated opinion about their recent education. They've learned the newest techniques and are up on the current psychobabble and/or educational trends so they, too, "know it all." Again, listen to the administration and locals.

7. Realize that many schools have no sense of continuity; personnel change on a yearly basis. As a result, both students and parents have very little trust for the new teachers. Be realistic about mistakes that may have been made in the past, and work to overcome them. Prove that you are worthy of their trust. Be fair and realistic. Teach below level, if necessary (and it probably is); don't assume it was someone else's responsibility to teach basic concepts and don't cop an attitude about how teaching those primary concepts isn't your job. After all, if the kids don't know the basic skills, they will be unable to learn the advanced skills you are now trying to teach.

8. In most Bush schools (except larger communities), multi-level teaching is a fact of life. So is teaching subjects outside your area of expertise. Teaching colleges no longer do an adequate job of training for multi-level/multi-grade teaching; encourage your training institution to address this issue. Bush schools need multi-talented teachers. They aren't just looking for a math teacher; they need a math teacher that can also teach science or P.E. or a foreign language or band or English literature or history or...(you get the idea). Very few teachers are proficient in multiple disciplines, yet that is what a small Bush school needs; the budget doesn't allow for a teacher in each discipline.

9. Realize that learning through osmosis rarely works, so having children "play" with numbers won't teach them how to add, subtract, multiply, and divide. Instead, TEACH them those skills they need to learn. (This isn't unique to Bush schools, but it is another pet peeve of mine.) Also, know and use multiple methods of teaching a concept because not all children learn the same way.

10. Model good behavior and academic skills. Why expect the kids to be something you're not?

11. Bush teachers need to realize that most Bush children come from a "word poor" environment. They're not used to seeing words everywhere they go (no billboards, signs in the grocery, advertisements on buses, etc.). This is a huge disadvantage when teaching children to read. Furthermore, many Bush children have English as a second language. Also, teachers need to recognize the unspoken language in many communities (a slight nod of the head, a raised eyebrow, etc.) Don't expect either the children or the parents to communicate in a fashion to which you are accustomed.

12. Don't expect the children to be ignorant of the outside world; tv is a great equalizer.

13. Many Bush communities have children of all ages (even toddlers) running rampant, unsupervised. You may not agree with this, but don't expect it to change and be very cautious if you choose to address the issue. Also, private property doesn't mean much in many Bush communities, so anything left outside might be "borrowed." Also, you might not have much luck discouraging others from using your yard as a thoroughfare or playground. On the other hand, anyone (teachers included) should be allowed to set personal boundaries, so don't be afraid to tell children to get out of your yard if they are playing outside at midnight or to treat your things with respect. Most of the children will respond to reasonable boundaries.

14. Teachers need to realize that many Bush parents do not, themselves, have the skills to help their children academically. The parents may not even be able to read simple instructions, do basic math, or speak a somewhat grammatically correct sentence; many of these kids are on their own when it comes to homework. Therefore, teachers need to cover procedures and expectations very carefully with their students. Unfortunately, many parents also do not give their children the time of day (not unique to the Bush), so--again--teachers need to be very careful when speaking about family situations. Also, most parents will side with the child rather than the teacher. This is another fact of life; get used to it or become very proficient at documenting everything.

15. Teachers in the Bush somehow think that being in the Bush absolves them of many of the responsibilities of teaching. After all, life is slower, people are more laid-back, etc.; what does it matter? However, teaching is a profession subject to state/national standards, and the school administration still needs the teacher to file adequate lesson plans (learn how if you haven't been taught), document grades, take attendance, follow through on assignments, and a whole host of other administrative stuff.

16. Alcohol abuse and drug use are serious issues in the Alaskan Bush. So is sexual assault. Sometimes, even the school staff and/or friends and relatives of the staff are involved in these issues. As a result, these issues are often overlooked by the administration. Some teachers have a very difficult time with these issues being overlooked. Some administrators and community members don't want teachers making an issue of these things since it can't be avoided; some teachers consider these issues both illegal and immoral and believe in working to change the situation. The best advice is to have a good talk with the administration before accepting a job in any Bush community. In a related area, some teachers have issues with wet vs. damp vs. dry communities (related to legal alcohol consumption); the laws apply to teachers, too.

17. In conclusion (I'm sure I could think of many other things!), teachers need to be educated themselves. I've been appalled at projects I've seen at academic fairs. Don't teachers have a basic concept of English grammar and spelling today? If so, why aren't they teaching it to the children? If you don't comprehend simple math, how do you ever expect to adequately teach it yourselves? Neatness and good writing CAN be learned. Model excellence and expect excellence; the kids may just surprise you if you set some standards! Become proficient at what you're teaching and learn multiple methods for teaching a concept (covered in # 9, but worth repeating).

In essence, I think that--deep down--Bush communities really do want their children to thrive. Educational and/or personal excellence may not be emphasized or modelled at home, but I do think the parents and the rest of the community are watching the schools. As in any profession, some expectations are unrealistic. (We won't even get into the No-Child-Left-Behind issue.) The less you can give the community to criticize, the sooner you can move forward with academic excellence.

Old 04-12-2007, 10:33 AM

959 posts, read 2,360,154 times
Blueberry: Great post; it's obvious you have lots of experience and perspective on this topic and you have delineated many issues here that apply to problems with schools everywhere, but are of special significance in rural AK communities...now I, too, have more knowledge of what teaching in bush is really like. From what you say, any prospective bush teacher would want look at this post and talk to community members and school administrators before accepting a job. I don't think it is fair to the kids or the teachers for a teacher to blindly accept a position in the bush without really understanding some of the challenges they may face. From what I understand, teachers AND bush communities have suffered greatly on the issue of education. (Did some research after this post started--I don't like feeling ignorant, especially if the issue is of personal importance for me). Thanks for the post.

Old 04-12-2007, 10:48 AM

3,774 posts, read 11,223,572 times
As a field engineer who has spent some time in the bush communities in various areas throughout the state, I have to agree with all of Blueberry's points. I enjoy most of my trips through the various bush communities, but as a transient, I have little interaction on the juvenile level. The ones that I have had are, for the most part, positive. The only real negative I had was in one on the AK peninsula, when I had my food for the month stored in a community storage locker. One of the kids made a hole in the fencing and stole my sodas. He was caught red-handed taking another case, but I didn't get mad, because there wasn't a local store to purchase soda. I knew that anger wasn't going to bring them back, and the kid already had problems with the VPSO. I let it go.

Old 04-13-2007, 11:55 AM

5 posts, read 21,512 times
Default My Experiences

I was born and raised in New Mexico (Albuquerque) and lived in Alaska (Fairbanks) for several years as well, the two most racially diverse states in the union (I am a white Jew myself). I am a professor of physics, so not exactly a public school teacher but I can share my experiences with you.

To people that come from more urbanized and, no offense intended, white areas of the nation, it may come as a surprise that there is still a fair amount of animosity held by Native Americans toward white people. It doesn't make it right, racism of any type is morally reprehensibe and blaming the grandchildren for the sins of the grandparents is wrong, but it is an unfortunate reality.

I can speak from experience that small, rural towns anywhere (even predominantly white ones, like the one in NM I'm thinking of) will be somewhat wary of newcomers for a while. Close-knit, small communities tend to be somewhat clannish even under the best of circumstances. This isn't necessarily motivated by hatred, just a sense of caution. Even in big cities, do you go instantly introduce yourself to EVERY new neighbor, or are you going to feel them out a little?

That said, Alaskan Bush communities are a special case. Take the normal clique-ishness of any small town and compound it with harsh living conditions, strong isolation and a history of mistreatment and you've got a recipe for some pretty standoffish locals. I did not live in a bush community myself, but had many friends who do/used to and it really takes work to become a member of the group.

The sad reality is that people in general are judgmental, people in Bush communities probably more so than most, but that doesn't make them hateful or evil, they've just had to deal with more hardship than most people from the lower 48 can understand. Trying to understand the history and culture that you are entering will make you much more sympathetic to their behavior. I taught for 2 years on the Navajo reservation in Gallup, NM and found much of the same situation described here, but true friendliness, understanding and interest will go a long way toward being accepted.

I'm a firm believer that you get what you put out into the world, as long as you treat other people with respect, you'll get respect back. We're all just people after all, right?

Old 06-18-2007, 12:55 PM

1 posts, read 3,432 times
I see from the dates that these post are from a couple of months back, but I would like some information if anyone is still reading this sight. My daughter is considering a teaching position at Shelton Point, she is an english ESL with 5 years of experience. I am very concerned about her welfare and safety. She is very outgoing and social is it possible for her to fit into this community and be able to enjoy teaching and helping others in their native environment. Pardon the spelling I am not well educated person, just a concerned Father.

misaacs@nitn.net

Old 06-18-2007, 02:28 PM

3,774 posts, read 11,223,572 times
As a teacher in a bush community, she will have a certain cachet as a necessary person to the community, but some bush communities have problems with alcohol. I would make sure she understood that alcohol can be a danger, and to be careful around those who abuse it in the community. Otherwise, it should be a great life experience for her.

Old 06-18-2007, 07:22 PM

82 posts, read 393,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Isaacs View Post
I see from the dates that these post are from a couple of months back, but I would like some information if anyone is still reading this sight. My daughter is considering a teaching position at Shelton Point, she is an english ESL with 5 years of experience. I am very concerned about her welfare and safety. She is very outgoing and social is it possible for her to fit into this community and be able to enjoy teaching and helping others in their native environment. Pardon the spelling I am not well educated person, just a concerned Father.

misaacs@nitn.net
Mack,
I worked in the Lower Yukon School District for a year and Sheldon Point is a good place from what I heard. Its very small but it seems in the bush the smaller the better. She needs to really talk to other teachers there and get a real feel for what to expect before she gets there. It can be a great experience but you have to have when in Rome do as the Romans do attitude. That is their home and they expect to be respected. The more she opens up to the community, the more they will open to her. They are going to test her I can guarentee that but here safety and welfare is not in jeopardy so I would not worry about it. Those kids are used to people coming and going and they are not going to get friendly unless they know you are in it for the long haul.

Old 09-02-2007, 04:58 PM

6 posts, read 28,377 times
I disagree with Allen, at least in part.

My wife and I taught in Chevak (where Allen teaches) for 7 years. We adopted two Cup'ik babies at birth. We were offered the chance to adopt several other babies, but we felt that two was enough for us.

Chevak is one of the friendliest villages in the Alaskan Bush. The parents and the kids were great. We still visit Chevak and our children's biological relatives (my wife gave the graduation speech in May 2007). Next summer we will probably go to fish camp with our son's biological family.

We moved to Fairbanks (my wife is originally from here) so that our kids could take gymnastics, karate, music lessons, etc. that they couldn't get in Chevak. We still see and help Chevak kids attending UAF in Fairbanks; right now one of my son's cousins is staying with us while her family moves to the Lower 48.

The hard part of teaching in Chevak was that we had 6 superintendents and 6 principals in 7 years. Every one of those people came in and told us to stop doing what we were doing and start doing the opposite. One superintendent would buy IMacs, then the next one would get rid of the IMacs and buy P.C.s, then the next one would get rid of the P.C.s. . . . you get the picture.

A school district in Bush Alaska is like a feudal kingdom: a superintendent or principal can get away with financial murder, as there is no oversight by the local school board or the state education department. If you buy into the school politics or, if you hide inside your apartment, you will be miserable. If you avoid the school politics and develop friendships within the village, you can be very happy. I'm sure there are villages where you probably can't do that, but Chevak is not one of those.

Old 09-03-2007, 10:03 PM

14 posts, read 58,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken G. Brown View Post
I disagree with Allen, at least in part.

My wife and I taught in Chevak (where Allen teaches) for 7 years.

Ken I don't teach here in Chevak. My wife and best friend of 31 years is from Chevak and I recently accepted the position of Postmaster here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska